advertisement

What are you listening to right now #64

blob

Yotum Arni - Just Another Day, a slow burning electronic vocal led track with sax that builds and builds with a sense of urgency

JR Monterose night on WKCR, presented by the wonderful Sid Gribetz. I can’t say I was aware of him before tonight which is criminal, not least because he played on Pithecanthropus Erectus. And, I’m learning, a load of other great stuff. At least I’m not alone in my ignorance - there’s been just one post mentioning his name on pfm in the last decade. If you want to hear more, you have until 11pm!

JR Monterose night on WKCR, presented by the wonderful Sid Gribetz. I can’t say I was aware of him before tonight which is criminal, not least because he played on Pithecanthropus Erectus. And, I’m learning, a load of other great stuff. At least I’m not alone in my ignorance - there’s been just one post mentioning his name on pfm in the last decade. If you want to hear more, you have until 11pm!
I only really know him from his self-titled album for Blue Note which I've not played for a good while. I hadn't really thought about what else he might have done!

Wiki tells me...

The record of Monterose's life thereafter, however, is one of sparsely documented itinerancy, pursuing his evolving craft in small-time U.S. venues and during extended stays (late 1960s through the mid-1970s) in Belgium, The Netherlands and Denmark, with occasional low-profile recordings (In Action, Body and Soul) recorded in such places as Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and Wageningen, The Netherlands. His preference for small-group work in out of the way places would shape much of his subsequent career, contributing to the musical growth but relegating him to obscurity.

edit: based on this image he may also have been in The Ramones at one point...

tumblr_inline_nom3pc7pTc1sryybn_500.jpg

Canto Stefano - Fausto Mesolella / Canta Stefano Benni

WOW, oh WOW. It's hard to say how incredible this sounds, either on the CD or SACD layer.

I discovered this whilst watching 'MYHIGHEND' videos on YT. I can only imagine how the vinyl might sound. 😮😮

It doesn’t matter that I have no clue what he's singing about, the music is immediately enjoyable

Spellbound to say the least. Especially Track 4 - Tulipani.

fNycWby.jpeg

Canto Stefano - Fausto Mesolella / Canta Stefano Benni

WOW, oh WOW. It's hard to say how incredible this sounds, either on the CD or SACD layer.

I discovered this whilst watching 'MYHIGHEND' videos on YT. I can only imagine how the vinyl might sound. 😮😮

It doesn’t matter that I have no clue what he's singing about, the music is immediately enjoyable

Spellbound to say the least. Especially Track 4 - Tulipani.

fNycWby.jpeg
1 /4 inch - 15 ips
blob

advertisement

Back