advertisement

What are you listening to right now #60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stiff Records – BUY IT 243. 12", 1986. It's great to hear Shane singing so clearly - by 1989 and Misty Morning he was almost inarticulate.

R-834653-1173222831.jpeg.jpg

The Pacific Jazz catalogue was sorely neglected. A few years ago there was a CD series called West Coast classics every one a gem. I hunted them all down on LP eventually except Teddy Edwards

Curtis Amy/Dupree Bolton - Katanga

Earl Anderza - Outa Sight

Chet Baker - Quartet with Russ Freeman

Bob Brookmeyer - Traditionalism Revisited

Teddy Edwards - Sunset Eyes

Jack Montrose - Sextet

Bill Perkins - On Stage

Bud Shank/Bill Perkins

Bud Shank/Bob Cooper - Blowin' Country

Jack Sheldon - Quartet/Quintet

Cy Touff - Octet and Quintet

@John C I used to be a bit sniffy about West Coast 'white' jazz thinking it a bit polite but I find I'm enjoying it more and more these days.

As you say, some fantastic music sorely neglected. Though that also means it can sometimes be found in the £1 box which suits me!

Great that Vogue issued a lot of this stuff in the UK too.

@John C I used to be a bit sniffy about West Coast 'white' jazz thinking it a bit polite but I find I'm enjoying it more and more these days.

As you say, some fantastic music sorely neglected. Though that also means it can sometimes be found in the £1 box which suits me!

Great that Vogue issued a lot of this stuff in the UK too.

I've always seen the west coast scene as heavily influenced by the film studios and their cash and also therefore by McCarthyism in the 50s . I don't know much about it myself but there were black players and increasingly so as the 60s play out - I guess that those who were prepared to keep their heads down got the gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back