advertisement

What are you listening to right now #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Santogold / Santigold again, but the first album today.

Definitely a bit more indie rock than the 2nd album. Very catchy tunes. Marmite vocals that I like. Excellent production.

R-1363411-1233306447.jpeg.jpg

More Images

Santogold ‎– Santogold
Label:
Lizard King Records ‎– 5051442830828, Atlantic ‎– 5051442830828
Format:
CD, Album
UK & Ireland
Released:
29 Apr 2008
Genre:
Electronic, Hip Hop, Rock
Style:
Dub, Indie Rock, Experimental

My Karat 17D3 just died a tragic death. So instead of giving up I just swapped out my Well Tempered for the old Planar 3 / DL110 and a Cambridge 651 P and put Rattlesnakes on again. Sounds pretty good :)

Ultravox ‘Vienna’ album, c.d.
I got All Stood Still and Passing Strangers on single, and like Sleepwalk, but never got the album at the time. Midge Ure in that coat put me off, it might have been the moustache as well.
The Wife hates Vienna with a passion. I quite like it, but didn’t buy it at the time. (it was too popular)

I think I prefer Visage ‘Visage.’ It works better as a whole listen. That album I did buy at the time.

I got All Stood Still and Passing Strangers on single, and like Sleepwalk, but never got the album at the time. Midge Ure in that coat put me off, it might have been the moustache as well.
The Wife hates Vienna with a passion. I quite like it, but didn’t buy it at the time. (it was too popular)

I think I prefer Visage ‘Visage.’ It works better as a whole listen. That album I did buy at the time.

The single was kept off number one by Shaddap You Face, I seem to remember...

Yes, a bit of Popmaster essential knowledge.

Way back then when Vienna sat at #2 a cool lad at school was going on about it for weeks in class. He was the kid who could play the piano in our class.
He once got asked to play piano as we all came into morning assembly. He played some suitable ditty as we all mooched in, then just as we sat down he played Friggin’ in the Riggin’ (Sex Pistols) and the assembly (mostly) spontaneously started to sing the lyrics. There was nothing the teachers could do to shut up a couple of hundred comprehensive kids. It was a beautiful moment, ended by a teacher dragging said youth off of the piano stool and shouting at us all to be quiet.
Said youth ended up in the S.A.S. I think. He had the big Midge Ure coat AND a hat.

Indeed one of the great travesties of the top 40. Mrs AA bought me the white vinyl reissue a while back, one of the best pressings I’ve had in a long time, pancake flat and dead quiet.

Bought both those LPs on release, still play them regularly and the various 12” singles.

Randy Newman - ‘Harps & Angels’, wonderful late period album from one of America’s greatest songwriters. He’s far better than other over feted hacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back