advertisement

What are you listening to right now #57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sprain - As Lost Through Collision (FLAC from Bandcamp, which happens to be hi-res 24-bit / 96kHz, if you care about such things)

Here's a band to keep an eye on. Mostly slow, pulsating noise rock with an average track length of about 9 minutes. Detuned Sonic Youth-esque guitars, dramatic changes in dynamics, vocals swinging between droney, slurred singing and feverish screaming. Great stuff.

Taking a break from my Stiff rundown - here's something of the ilk. Hazel O'Connor (& Subterraneans) Will You - Live in Brighton (2003 I think), one of Coventry's finest from the era. "I think there were some babies made to this song..." The sax player isn't quite Wes, but not at all bad.

iu

Saturday morning vinyl session, breakfast in bed for Mrs AA, tunes for me in the lounge

Was >> Cocteau Twins - Four Calendar Cafe​

Is >> Bastille - Bad Blood​

Will Be >> Portishead - Dummy​

The Pretenders Real Records RAL3 A3 - B3, which was the first pressing I think. Worth nothing, but still one of the all time greats. Brass in Pocket was the first no 1 of the 80s. Chrissie Hynde hated it apparently - didn't like the sound of her singing voice! James Honeyman-Scott was one of my favorite guitar players too.

R-1161224-1236892033.jpeg.jpg

Changing the tone, this is a really wonderful album, Brad Mehldau - Live in Tokyo. Someone to watch over me is my Mum's favorite song, the piano is so beautifully recorded too.

iu

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back