advertisement

What are you listening to right now #11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anex said:
I never found BSS that exciting, have the first LP, like 3 or 4 tracks, best imo is cause = time but then that reminds me of Yeah We Know by Dinosaur Jr. Anywho, looked up Built to Spill, they're great:) . Listening to Going Against Your Mind on myspace. Which keeps crapping out. What is the best place to start? Couldn't find much in the way of vinyl though :/

I'd start with "Perfect From Now On", and would disagree about BSS - I think the new one is a fabulous record and would struggle to choose between "You've Lost it in People" and "Perfect". BSS do wear their influences on their sleeves - I keep being reminded of New Order, MBV and Dinosaur Jr - but I find the tunes and the noise of their sound irresistable. That said, nothing from BSS quite equals the moment the riff and fuzzy/wah wah guitar kicks in on "Would Hurt a Fly"!

This morning: Coltrane: One Down, One Up: loud in the car on the way to work. Startling stuff.

Kevin

Thanks. Tbh I just find alot of BSS dull, though I don't have the new one. Taken a bit at a time I don't mind them but I can't sit and listen to You Forgot it in people all at once, way to much. Theres a song every side of the LP which I like and the rest I find a bit unenguaging.

"Breaking Up" by The Research. Fluffy pop with killer lyrics crafted in a Wakefield bedroom on very cheap instruments.

Vaughn Williams 'London Symphony'. I tried listening to this years back (Andre Previn directing possibly the LSO) and hated it. Listening to Barbirolli conducting the Halle, I was swept away by its splendour.

Joe Hutch said:
Vaughn Williams 'London Symphony'. I tried listening to this years back (Andre Previn directing possibly the LSO) and hated it. Listening to Barbirolli conducting the Halle, I was swept away by its splendour.
I had the Previn on cassette and wrote it off as a cheesy soundtrack. I'll try a different one if I run across it.

Now playing: Jonathan Richman - I'm So Confused
Next up: Toad the Wet Sprocket - Dulcinea

I really recommend the authorised first (1913) version of the London by Hickox and the LSO on Chandos. I don't give a flying whatsit if VW withdrew it to tighten things up, it's glorious - lost more of the moody stuff.

Anex said:
Anywho, looked up Built to Spill, they're great:) . Listening to Going Against Your Mind on myspace. Which keeps crapping out. What is the best place to start? Couldn't find much in the way of vinyl though :/

all the lps are OOP on vinyl, which is a shame. perfect from now on, and there's nothing wrong with love cost me about £12 each on ebay. well worth it though!

J Dilla / Jay Dee - DONUTS Urban hiphop psychedelia on a turntablist knife's edge. The brilliant coda from the late J Dilla. Strange & deeply beautiful.
Dilated Peoples - 20/20 Best "conscious" rap album of the year so far? Well, it's the best I've heard: Deep, transparent beats, sinisterly conscious lyrics, one for everyone who used to enjoy Public Enemy back in the day...
Lagos Chop Up - Brilliant release from Honest John's of 60s Nigerian proto afrobeat (and quite a few other things, too). Essential for everyone interested in afropop, funk, or simply great pop music.
All the above on vinyl, naturally :)

Was - Ambulance Ltd. First track is a bit motorik, but nonplussed by the rest of it.

Now - The The - Soulmining (on vinyl). Still a wonderful record, right down to the artwork.

Marmite said:
Now - The The - Soulmining (on vinyl). Still a wonderful record, right down to the artwork.
Listened to this last night (on polycarbonate, though). Very good album.

Just played: Jem - Finally Woken
Now playing: Waterboys - This Is The Sea
Next up: Ray Lamontagne - Trouble

Ryan Adams, 29. I'm beginning to think that despite his numerous misfires this guy is actually underrated.

I've just heard My Way performed by the Gypsy Kings and am unsure if it's lifted my spirits or if I've died a little inside.

Mike Sae said:
I've just heard My Way performed by the Gypsy Kings and am unsure if it's lifted my spirits or if I've died a little inside.

Argh! I used to work in a restaurant that would play that continually. Horrible horrible memories. Then they got the Nora Jones CD... :eek:
Watching the Albini MTSU lecture atm. Interesting.

Mike Sae said:
It's gangrene. Possibly fatal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back