advertisement

What are you cooking tonight?

A Ham for tomorrow.

Some cannelini beans for tonight (with Merguez sausage), some beetroot for tonight's salad (with feta and mint)

Wife slow cooked a shoulder of lamb on top of waxy potatoes, onions, garlic ++ and lemon yesterday. We had it with long stem sprouting broccoli and organic carrots. The potatoes were gorgeous with shredded lamb and the excess garlic… wow I could eat it again now. I had 2 portions as it was.
Today The Wife is doing something with the remaining lamb which involves red cabbage, sour cream and pitta bread. Sounds tasty. Hopefully Wife will make a green bean/mangetout/peanut salad which I really like.

I believe the french call that l’agneau qui pleut - crying lamb (food does always seem to sound better in french)

Wife slow cooked a shoulder of lamb on top of waxy potatoes, onions, garlic

Shoulder of lamb slow cooked in a slow cooker is real favourite and regular weekend dish for us though I'm not a fan of garlic with lamb (no problem with garlic). Takes no time at all to prep, as you say include the potatoes, I'll often include some red wine, salt & pepper, rosemary and a little honey on top the shoulder.

Our local butcher does 1/2 a shoulder for £7.00 (up from £6.00) fabulous value and I'd take it over leg of lamb any day.

lemon roast chicken (only meat , other than fish we indulge) and Otto cauli cheese and Brocolli with a honey/lemon/chilli sauce.

I'll often include some red wine,

The Wife wanted to put red wine with it, but I objected as we often red wine with lamb and I find it plays havoc with my tummy on occasion. The second day lamb is nicer/easier to do summat different with, without the red in it. I reckon.

The Wife wanted to put red wine with it, but I objected as we often red wine with lamb and I find it plays havoc with my tummy on occasion. The second day lamb is nicer/easier to do summat different with, without the red in it. I reckon.

Left over slow cooked shoulder diced up nice and small makes a belting shepherd's pie (I've done this when I've originally included red wine)

Left over slow cooked shoulder diced up nice and small makes a belting shepherd's pie (I've done this when I've originally included red wine)

Wife and I argued about shepherds pie yesterday, Wife advocating shredded lamb, whereas I prefer it put through the old fashioned hand crank mincer. Probably explains why we aren’t having shepherds pie today!

Back into our gift fish hamper - cod and John Dory with lemon caper butter over our own carrots and rainbow chard.

Roast duck tonight, will have a look at the sage for stuffing. Runner beans again, courgettes again and roasties. Maybe a side of crab apple sauce.

Max's Shiraz / Cab Sauv for a treat.

Quick tiramisu for afters; i'm feeling fatter already but it's been a long day of wind turbine maintenance and wood sorting.

Back into our gift fish hamper - cod and John Dory with lemon caper butter over our own carrots and rainbow chard.

The rainbow chard didn’t photograph too well:) but John Dory is a brilliant fish. Anyone with a healthy wallet will find this is a great place to start eating fish off the bone. We used to get small ones that were by-catch from our harbour. Used to get a call from Martin if they had a few or had a huge Pollock with flakes the size of your ear!

Veg spring rolls haslet and custard washed down with a stella.

I always quite liked Haslet. Basically, nicely spiced end of a pig. Nothing wrong with that: end to end and all that…. You can get something quite similar in Lidl but in smaller units so tends to be more chewy outer compared to Haslet that has more inner. If that makes sense:)

Keeping it simple tonight, scouse for us. It’s still bubbling away but I’ll post a pic later if I think on.

Simple Victorian (1879) receipe for baked Mackerel fillets from my library.
Cooked in heavy cast iron oval pot, uncovered. Bottom coated with butter, fish lightly salted and peppered. I added large chunks of sweet potato (not in receipe). Set gas oven to 'S'. After 1 hour....done.

advertisement

Back