advertisement

What are the best no-nonsense cables?

If heidcase is talking about the solid-core belkin speaker cable, then I agree - it's phenominal stuff for the money.

I, however, built these:

LA.JPG

I have christened them "Lunatic Asylum", partly as a result of my partner's view of where I belong because of them. They are 3.25mm diameter solid copper wire fed through HDPE tubing, twisted together and then covered with nylon braid. Nothing on the market for any sensible money came close, especially for the ~6m lengths I needed. The primary approach I took was that the amplifier I am using has an absurdly low output impedance (sub 1mohm), and therefore the DC resistance of the speaker cable was much more significant to the damping factor of the system than in most cases, therefore I wished to minimise it, particularly considering the 6m length. The materials cost in the region of £70 to make a 7m pair.

Interconnects... For SPDIF interconnects, webro WF100 satellite cable is an excellent quality 75ohm coax and available very cheaply. For AES/EBU and balanced interconnects I've long liked Gotham GAC-2 with neutrik connectors.

Thanks everyone for your sujestions, after some reading I think I will try the Van Dammes. Do you think I should go for the 2x6mm Hi-Fi, the 2x6mm Blue or the 4x4mm Black?

Before you do, have a look at The Missing Link collection. All their cables have been designed and manufactured in the UK by an enthusiastic former sound engineer. And you can try before you buy I think.

http://www.the-missing-link.net

Whatever you choose, good luck with your journey.

Thank you, but it's too pricy for me, I think I'll have to stick to the van dammes.
Any ideas on what version should be favoured?

Thanks everyone for your sujestions, after some reading I think I will try the Van Dammes. Do you think I should go for the 2x6mm Hi-Fi, the 2x6mm Blue or the 4x4mm Black?

I have tried them all as i was running mono blocks close to the speakers so i only required a 1mtr pair, and in my room, on my system and with my lugs the hi-fi was the best, slightly more detail and slightly more musical however please don't overlook the Belkin AV cables very cheap and very very good.

Isn't the Belkin the one used in Blue Jeans Cables? Do you think it's better than the Van Damme 2x6 Hi-Fi?

advertisement

Back