advertisement

What are the best no-nonsense cables?

Ale79

pfm Member
Hi all!
I need to buy some speaker and phono cables, but I am rather skeptical concerning audiophile cables in general and don't want to spend in cables more than I have invested in my system..
I was thinking of going with Blue jeans cables, but if it's worth it I might go up to the price of Chord Silverscreens, are there any other good quality sensibly priced products I ought to consider?
P.S.: System is Usher speakers, Musical Fidelity A5 amp, Audiolab MDac.

For many years I used 5A mains cable as interconnects in my Naim based systems, as that was what Naim used for the NAP250 interconnect. Good enough for them, good enough for me. Now I use long balanced cables I use van Damme Starquad, as its based on sound electrical principles and any music I listen to has probably been through many metres of the stuff already as its used in many studios. However, I changed my NAC A5 for Atlas Hyper 2 as I needed to route through some ducting and the Naim cable wouldn't go through, and I was quite shocked how much better it sounded. I have the advantage of being able to solder (used to build prototypes for the BBC and MOD 30+ yrs ago!) so I can make up my own cables. I'd suggest you find a dealer / supplier who will let you try a few alternatives and add in something cheap from Amazon or Maplins just to get some perspective. Other, more long winded approach is to buy in eBay, try, and re-sell if you don't like it. Wont cost you much, in fact know someone who made a profit doing just that! Also, don't mistake "different" and "better", some more extreme cables can act as filters.

Have a look around a Pro Audio / Instrument / Recording Shop.
Tons of stuff, cheap and by the meter or pre-assembled.

(I use "Klotz" LaGrange or now AC110)

I have some Van Damme Studio Pro speaker cables, new, intended for an aborted second system, will PM you.

Supra. A proper Swedish firm that actually manufacturers their own product.Mind you, the usual dilemma quickly arises. If you don't think cables matter, buy the cheapest. If you do think they matter you really need to hear them.How will someone else's tastes help with your tastes? As I said, usual dilemma.

I have a bag full of VanDamme, Canare, QED, Maplin, Klotz etc. I use cassette deck freebies in preference to any of them. The only "proper" cable that sounds about as good as the freebies is Linn Black.
I use Supra original speaker cable. I think this is marginally better than the VanDamme blue stuff I have.

advertisement

Back