advertisement

Wharfedale building proper 'speakers again

Robert

Tapehead
This is more like it.

I hate much modern audio. Ghastly bling borrowing old tech wrapped up in expensive gloss designed to appeal to the very well-healed.

Here's something different, a substantial 3-way at £999.
If they sound as good as they look I might well be tempted.

It's a sound no doubts...in fact the Unit 4 kits were my first proper speakers, but dear god I hope that they haven't reproduced the warm, fuzzy, soft sound too closely :) also I think the originals were plastic wrapped 'veneer' so that walnutalike looks much too real. Is that chinese writing in the header?

Here's another contender for the large 3-way category:

Xavian Quarta (27cm woofer)

AK966700a-400x600.jpg

https://www.xavian.cz/product/quarta/?lang=en

With Peter Comeau in charge of Wharfedale IAG design, I doubt it will be a bummer. Of course, that doesn’t mean everyone will like it

Robert, I have an idea that you have previously expressed a liking for AR speakers. I am going to have to have a clear out of our storage unit soon. I have a pair of AR2 speakers that I bought to refurbish. I never got around to doing so and know I never shall. Free to a good home if interested. I would like to hear them if ever you or indeed, anyone else were to take me up on this.
John

Unit 4? Luxury!! Unit 3 for me. Singular. In a rather fetching bare chipboard cabinet.

I "inherited" some unit 5 many years ago and very good they were. They had been built to the larger of the cabinet choices in the instructions. I later had Dovedale SP's which were very good.
Many of these older Wharfedales were far better than many seem to think and certainly a match for similarly priced Celestions of the time.

I "inherited" some unit 5 many years ago and very good they were. They had been built to the larger of the cabinet choices in the instructions. I later had Dovedale SP's which were very good.
Many of these older Wharfedales were far better than many seem to think and certainly a match for similarly priced Celestions of the time.
My memory is otherwise, tho Marchbank's 3's were tighter IIRC. Mind I was at Art Coll at the time and the soft, slightly too thin chipboard lined with stapled on carpet underlay probably didn't help. The aksheral wharfedale built units may well have been better...W certainly had a respected name in them days.

AND I've just noted the price! Less than 1000 quid is quite serious value for money if they are 1/2 decent. :)

Robert, I have an idea that you have previously expressed a liking for AR speakers. I am going to have to have a clear out of our storage unit soon. I have a pair of AR2 speakers that I bought to refurbish. I never got around to doing so and know I never shall. Free to a good home if interested. I would like to hear them if ever you or indeed, anyone else were to take me up on this.
John
Well, if Robert doesn't want them (or anybody else before me), I would love them please. A friend has rebuit a few AR drivers so he could help get them back to w/o

advertisement

Back