advertisement

weiss dac 202

In my system, along with my ATC 50ASL, I don't need too. It has a synergy that I don't want to change. In nearly 20 years of owning good kit I can tell you this combo works extremely well - after all this is what counts, any single component on it own means nothing.

Raj as I have mentioned it is difficult to imagine something better until you hear it for yourself. It is a pity the London move fell through.
Keith.

The proof of the pudding.

Raj plugged my Rega Apollo into his Benchmark DAC HDR played through his ATC 50s.

As some pfm members are aware, including Tony L and lindsayt ,where I spent an enjoyable evening last night at Tony's discussing speakers I am looking to get my next system and the sound from the above remains, for me, the sound to beat as I decide what to buy and is unquestioned incredible value for money but will not appeal to the box-swappers amongst you as there are few boxes to swap!

Good question muzzer.

Whilst it may have been psychosomatic on my part I felt I could "hear" the woody sound of my Apollo and liked it whilst I felt the Mac was a little more lean but at the risk of being accused of copping out someone else might prefer the other way round.

If I was hypocritical I might say the sound was a little lean but spacey would disagree and any criticism for the cost of the B'mark would be churlish for what was an astonishing accurate and gorgeously real sound which was never grating.

If you think about it artists do not record all the tracks of an album at one sitting and I was stunned on putting on a bog standard cd of Joni Mitchell's Blue to hear, for the first time, the presentation of each song sound slightly different, presumably, due to the difference in where she was sat in relation to the recording on each occasion. Astonishing and no doubt due in no small part to the accuracy of the active speakers.

The bottom line is that the B'mark DAC HDR provides not only a DAC for the Apollo but a balanced preamp and remote which is not bad for the price and ideal for active speakers like the ATCs.

I am seriously considering buying this combo unless something else strikes my fancy and I have heard a lot of combos in recent times as a lot of members of pfm and the wam will confirm.

IMHO, the difference was not leanness but more transparency and a less woolly sound. The ATV/DAC1-HDR (not a McMini etc) played/plays music in a more accurate manor, managing to do so without adding any colours or artefacts of their own, presenting a very nice synergistic signal for the ATC's. I know of at least 7 people who currently run the HDR with active 50, 100 and 150's.

spacey I accept that I may be used to a less accurate sound hence my thoughts before committing to the active 50s with the B'mark, however, if I do decide to buy these speakers I have yet to hear a better value for money sound and it is an attractive alternative to a standard preamp and although I would need a separate phono stage I will still be able to plug it into the analogue input of the B'mark.

As I try to make my mind up which speakers to build a system around, and I have been fortunate to listen to a lot of member's systems I now realise that a lot of speakers are nice and relaxing which I am now beginning to understand is a simply a euphemism for boring resulting in eventual box-swapping.

I want keeper speakers and if whilst you are now down in Enfield spacey if anyone north of Watford Gap has this combination listening to it again might make my mind up.

Plans changed Greg; we're still in Yorkshire for a few weeks. We are moving to Northumberland and I'm starting a rural housing development company. Firstly renovating and extending an old c1800 cottage, then building 3 more 3, 4 and 5 bed detached small holdings. Currently staying with family, so the only music i have is via my iPhone ...

spacey I accept that I may be used to a less accurate sound hence my thoughts before committing to the active 50s with the B'mark, however, if I do decide to buy these speakers I have yet to hear a better value for money sound and it is an attractive alternative to a standard preamp and although I would need a separate phono stage I will still be able to plug it into the analogue input of the B'mark.

As I try to make my mind up which speakers to build a system around, and I have been fortunate to listen to a lot of member's systems I now realise that a lot of speakers are nice and relaxing which I am now beginning to understand is a simply a euphemism for boring resulting in eventual box-swapping.

I want keeper speakers and if whilst you are now down in Enfield spacey if anyone north of Watford Gap has this combination listening to it again might make my mind up.

Pete in RTW has a nice piano black pair of ATCs, he also has Benchmark/Lavry/Weiss DACs that he feeds them with as pre-amp and DAC. I've heard them several times.

Pete in RTW has a nice piano black pair of ATCs, he also has Benchmark/Lavry/Weiss DACs that he feeds them with as pre-amp and DAC. I've heard them several times.

Here they are with a Lavry DA11.

3544622961_8d1a4bc17f.jpg

Steve

I have some piano black SCM 50-ASL classics waiting at ATC HQ for me :) ... Thanks for the pics Steve :) do you by any chance have a hi-res copy?

Here they are with a Lavry DA11.

3544622961_8d1a4bc17f.jpg

Steve

Are they ornaments on top of them? 10k speakers with ornaments :eek:

Interzone I am very envious your a lucky guy!

Steve can I see a high resol pick of the 50 piano too?

I have perfected a life of being full of shit but I might just take a day off and buy these speakers.

Plans changed Greg; we're still in Yorkshire for a few weeks. We are moving to Northumberland and I'm starting a rural housing development company. Firstly renovating and extending an old c1800 cottage, then building 3 more 3, 4 and 5 bed detached small holdings. Currently staying with family, so the only music i have is via my iPhone ...

Raj, glad it has worked out. Northumberland is God's Country and if those lovely speakers are going to move air it might as well be proper air :D

advertisement

Back