advertisement

Weevils in Flour. One for Stevec67?

Decades ago when the US was sending massive amounts of grain to the USSR, there was a maximum allowed rat feces, specified in parts per million. Rumor had it that if the grain was better than the specification, feces were added.

If this is true, I wonder how they went about harvesting rat feces?

For what it's worth, I usually only make a roux for my cheese sauce, which I only really make for my version of cauliflower cheese. It's very simple. I use 1 oz, flour and 1oz, butter. Melt the butter, add in the flour and 'cook out' over a low heat for a few minutes. I add 1 good teaspoon of 'made' English mustard, though the dry stuff also works.

A good dose of freshly ground black pepper comes next. Purists may want to use white pepper to avoid little black flecks in the sauce, but that doesn't bother me, so long as the black flecks aren't bugs... :D

Next, stir in the milk with a whisk and start heating carefully. Stir continuously with the whisk. As soon as the sauce thickens and starts gently bubbling, I add the cheese. Usually 6.oz of grated mature cheddar. Meanwhile I've prepped, boiled and properly drained a decent sized cauliflower.. including the tenderest palest leaves close to the curd.

I just divide up the Cauli equally between myself and Mrs Mull, pour the sauce on top and yell 'It's ready!!!' usually followed by the only half joking instruction 'Eat it before it sets!'

We love it.

And yes.. 3 oz of cheese each is maybe a bit much, but it's only a few times a year.

If catering for friends, I sometimes make an oven baked version of the above with a bit of grated cheese on top, to accompany a roast, or a good casserole of beef and anything from Carots, roast spuds/parsnips, Brussels Sprouts, Brocolli/Calabrese etc.

When I was small, my Mum rarely served 'green/runner' beans without a plain white sauce.. if cauliflower was also on the menu, she'd quickly throw a bit of cheese into the remaining white sauce and put a splodge of that on the Cauli. That would usually be part of a Sunday roast.. which was almost always beef. I was given the task of digging up a bit of Horseradish Root from the garden and grating it for horseradish sauce. If it was lamb, I'd make mint sauce. None of yer ready made jars back then.

You don't grill your cauli cheese to brown n crisp before serving?

We do,. And add breadcrumbs to top sprinkling of grated cheese, plus dash of Lea n Perins before serving.

Mmmmmmmm. Hungry.

You don't grill your cauli cheese to brown n crisp before serving?

We do,. And add breadcrumbs to top sprinkling of grated cheese, plus dash of Lea n Perins before serving.

Mmmmmmmm. Hungry.

Not generally. Mrs Mull prefers it 'plain'.

Lea and Perrins has its place, but not with Cauli Cheese.

Decades ago when the US was sending massive amounts of grain to the USSR, there was a maximum allowed rat feces, specified in parts per million. Rumor had it that if the grain was better than the specification, feces were added.

If this is true, I wonder how they went about harvesting rat feces?
Nah, that's bollocks. 1ppm is 1g per tonne. For something as cheap as grain, you think someone would f about adding a gram of rat turds?

Nah, that's bollocks. 1ppm is 1g per tonne. For something as cheap as grain, you think someone would f about adding a gram of rat turds?

Who said 1PPM? I said "specified in parts per million", I didn't give a number.

Lea and Perrins is an expensive, Southern, mamby-pamby affectation that pales aside the real thing - Henderson’s Relish. A few drops of Hendo’s will enliven your cheese sauce and it’s gluten free.

Lea and Perrins is an expensive, Southern, mamby-pamby affectation that pales aside the real thing - Henderson’s Relish. A few drops of Hendo’s will enliven your cheese sauce and it’s gluten free.

Worcestershire sauce is a condiment that can trace its ancestry back to the Roman Empire.

A little Worcestershire is required for a good meatloaf. A dash is good in a quick vinaigrette. A couple of drops on a cheeseburger can't hurt.

I wouldn't argue, but I also wouldn't use it. I'm fairly certain that the stuff pre-dates most of those comestibles.. which begs the question.. How did the makers of such dishes manage pre Perrins? :)

Way back when I started making my own tomato sauces for pasta, I used to throw a splash in.. I knew no better. These days it mostly sits sulking in the back of the cupboard. I like a nice cheese on toast occasionally, but I really don't think a good mature cheddar is improved by Lea and Perrins.

I do fondly recall when I was working in the Wheatsheaf (A pub/restaurant) in Virginia Water, Surrey, round 1971.. A Gentleman of the American persuasion asked me for a Bloody Mary," with plenty of War Sess Ter Shyre Sowss." I was amused.. but me being British.. he never knew. ;)

Agreed.. Burriftha wants ter really enjoy thee food... Tha needs fert remember that 'unger is the best sauce...

Every casserole / stew needs a splash of acidity, Worcestershire sauce does the job perfectly. It’s a staple in Chinese cooking. Also nice swigged straight from the bottle.

We had Weevils in our Garden bird food sack......chucked the whole lot away now store in a Weevil proof plastic container.

advertisement

Back