advertisement

Weevils in Flour. One for Stevec67?

For what it's worth, I usually only make a roux for my cheese sauce, which I only really make for my version of cauliflower cheese. It's very simple. I use 1 oz, flour and 1oz, butter. Melt the butter, add in the flour and 'cook out' over a low heat for a few minutes. I add 1 good teaspoon of 'made' English mustard, though the dry stuff also works.

A good dose of freshly ground black pepper comes next. Purists may want to use white pepper to avoid little black flecks in the sauce, but that doesn't bother me, so long as the black flecks aren't bugs... :D

Next, stir in the milk with a whisk and start heating carefully. Stir continuously with the whisk. As soon as the sauce thickens and starts gently bubbling, I add the cheese. Usually 6.oz of grated mature cheddar. Meanwhile I've prepped, boiled and properly drained a decent sized cauliflower.. including the tenderest palest leaves close to the curd.

I just divide up the Cauli equally between myself and Mrs Mull, pour the sauce on top and yell 'It's ready!!!' usually followed by the only half joking instruction 'Eat it before it sets!'

We love it.

And yes.. 3 oz of cheese each is maybe a bit much, but it's only a few times a year.

If catering for friends, I sometimes make an oven baked version of the above with a bit of grated cheese on top, to accompany a roast, or a good casserole of beef and anything from Carots, roast spuds/parsnips, Brussels Sprouts, Brocolli/Calabrese etc.

When I was small, my Mum rarely served 'green/runner' beans without a plain white sauce.. if cauliflower was also on the menu, she'd quickly throw a bit of cheese into the remaining white sauce and put a splodge of that on the Cauli. That would usually be part of a Sunday roast.. which was almost always beef. I was given the task of digging up a bit of Horseradish Root from the garden and grating it for horseradish sauce. If it was lamb, I'd make mint sauce. None of yer ready made jars back then.

very rarely seen a recipe that calls for that. Cornflour slaked with water can we used for thickening.

No it doesn't - it still has a whitening effect. Use arrow-root for clear/transparent thickening.

Can we meet half way at 'translucent'?

And yes, I routinely use cornflour for thickening purposes, though for a roast such as beef, lamb or chicken, I'd still use wheat flour and some of the roasting fat/juices etc., to make a crude roux for the gravy.. or more properly... the gravy sauce. Thin-ish.. for beef lamb and chicken.. thicker for pork.. though I rarely eat roast pork.

Back with the bugs - 20 or 30 years ago I bought coriander seed from the Indian grocer. These were sold loose from a sack so, rather than the paper bag rip in the pantry, I put them in a spare jam jar. I used a few then forgot about them. The following year, every seed had a small hole in it and there was a layer of (long dead) small insects in the jar. Didn’t count them but every seed seemed to have been affected.
Funny old world.

I've noticed such holes in Coriander (Cilantro for our American cousins) seed purchased for growing my own. It's slow to germinate in the UK outdoors and then has a habit of running to seed quickly, but still worth growing.

Back with the bugs - 20 or 30 years ago I bought coriander seed from the Indian grocer. These were sold loose from a sack so, rather than the paper bag rip in the pantry, I put them in a spare jam jar. I used a few then forgot about them. The following year, every seed had a small hole in it and there was a layer of (long dead) small insects in the jar. Didn’t count them but every seed seemed to have been affected.
Funny old world.

A number of years ago I was eating in a hotel restaurant in Cairo when I noticed that the sprouts on my plate have been seasoned with pepper from a grinder. When I looked more closely the small grains of pepper had even smaller legs. I left the vegetables.

'Corn/Thunder Flies' are considerebly smaller than what I understand as Thrips and I'm now convinced that's what we are finding in our flour. They are the right size, colour and general appearance. The fact that they normally live on living plants would maybe explain why those we do see in our flour don't exactly multiply quickly, but exist in small numbers.
I bet they're not. Thrips are not SPI (stored product insects). Thrips/thunderflies need living plants. What you have is a SPI.

Funny old world.
Lots of insects are smart enough to only lay one egg per fruit. The developing larva then has the place to itself, plenty of food and a built in home.

Maybe so Steve. Thing is they don't appear in anything else. I've checked all pasta, cornflour etc. Nothing. And I can't even find on of the little sods in the flour I threw out, for checking under my microscope. All I can do now is keep an eye on the fresh flour we have. Next time we buy any, I'll freeze it for a week before putting in the airtight bin.

I bet they're not. Thrips are not SPI (stored product insects). Thrips/thunderflies need living plants. What you have is a SPI.

Back in the day you used to have to go to what was referred to as a 'special clinic' to have that sorted out.

Many years ago when I was working in a Career Guidance centre targeted at adults.. we had a client who was always going off to the middle east involved with some strange little religious group. On returning from one such trip he presented us with a load of little boxes of tea bags. 'For the office'. A few days later the office 'kichen' was overrun with little maggoty things which we soon discovered were emanating from the Tea Bags. Naturally we disposed of the tea and the bugs in short order. Getting rid of the client was another matter.

I've noticed such holes in Coriander (Cilantro for our American cousins) seed purchased for growing my own. It's slow to germinate in the UK outdoors and then has a habit of running to seed quickly, but still worth growing.

Americans also use the term coriander for the seeds or powder, only using cilantro to refer to the leaves

Not sure what the fuss is about. Doesn’t a roux/white sauce need multiple sievings after the making process? Mine do.

Maybe so Steve. Thing is they don't appear in anything else.
There's a reason why they call them *flour* beetles. :)
Flour contains 14% moisture (legal max) which is all they need to live. Pasta is very dry so they don't have enough water. Cornflour is less nutritious, having less protein.

Back in the day you used to have to go to what was referred to as a 'special clinic' to have that sorted out.
Indeed yes. You still do. I have a friend (ahem) who works in the STD clinic. She advises people to wash their hands on the way IN to the lavatory there as well as on the way out.

advertisement

Back