advertisement

'We don't take cash'...

And the reverse…I know of a shop selling items often over £10k who take cash. There can be only extremely rare good reasons to pay such large amounts in cash.

For smaller amounts it probably costs more to handle and bank cash, it will likely die out they way it nearly has in Scandinavia.

The only thing that I use cash for is tips and the pub, the pub because often as not it is just one or two drinks, so no huge sum and too much faff to use the card.

Even I have been in pubs where the card machine is immediately offered after calculating the bill/punching the code in for everything.

high speed boat between Tresco and St Martins this morning - boatman proffered a card machine. Clearly was reluctant to take cash.

Our local pub has 4 stations for taking orders and paying, only one has provision for taking cash.

Last pub I was in the bar staff were astonished when I offered cash. It's definitely becoming the exception rather than the rule. My daughter has a German friend who told her that whilst cash still 'rules' there, there are very few cash machines!

There is a fish and chip shop and a manicure place in the town I live in that have a big sign in the window saying 'Cash Only'

And the reverse…I know of a shop selling items often over £10k who take cash. There can be only extremely rare good reasons to pay such large amounts in cash.

For smaller amounts it probably costs more to handle and bank cash, it will likely die out they way it nearly has in Scandinavia.

Only legal if he has registered as a high value trader with HMRC due to money laundering.
Cant find it now, but it was a limit of £1k cash for some retail outlets.

in Covid times i queued in 30 degree heat for about 50 mins at wickes with a pile of tarmac At the checkout they steadfastly refused any cash because of covid :eek::eek::eek:

fortunately an amazing guy from a contrustion company had mercy and paid for me and accepted the cash . needlees to say i was and still am very grateful to that stranger

I only use cash for carboot sales now, I cannot think of a time I have used cash in 3 years other than booties.

I'm pretty sure that 90% of M0 is now locked in perpetual circulation within the recreational drug market.

An old fellow I knew took a pocket full of notes to his local Rolls Royce dealership and asked for a discount for cash. When it was refused he pulled another wad out of another pocket to pay the full price.
That was a few decades ago, mind you.

advertisement

Back