advertisement

'We don't take cash'...

I pay by phone as often as I can. Just tried to use the £20 note I’ve had in my wallet for a few weeks to pay for a delicious pizza, was asked if I had card or Apple Pay. At an army base families day!

I don’t care either way. Legal? Well, a vendor isn’t legally required to serve you. We don’t buy on the internet with cash. Feels surreal using it now.

Barbers is the only place I use cash now, they don't take anything else. It's a ball ache because there isn't a cash point near by and then you have change to deal with afterwards which usually gets lost or forgotten about.

There is a fish and chip shop and a manicure place in the town I live in that have a big sign in the window saying 'Cash Only'
That sign might as well say Tax Dodger.

The only thing I've used cash for in the last year, if not longer, is the pool tables at the pub.

There's a nice Afghan restaurant in Kilburn High Rd that takes cash only. Can't quite believe there's not money laundering going on there.

Cash must be a real pain for small businesses now - it has to be counted and reconciled, taken to a bank to deposit - which will charge and probably isn't as near as it used to be and is only open during business hours - and there's the continuing risk of being robbed.

I still rely on cash for street traders, low value private sale items and small transactions in shops (unless they prefer cards).

Slightly off topic, but at least one local jeweler and bullion dealer I know is happy to pay and receive large sums in cash. He has a long and well established business operating openly and apparently within the law from high street premises. I was quite surprised when the cash option came up in conversation the other day.

Barbers is the only place I use cash now, they don't take anything else. It's a ball ache because there isn't a cash point near by and then you have change to deal with afterwards which usually gets lost or forgotten about.
My wife’s hairdresser is the same.
Cash only.
Till permanently open…

I've got a couple of tenants who still pay with cash; it's a real chore having to take it to the PO or bank so sits around for six months.

I guess it's because they have customers who do the same so the whole thing becomes like a game of pass the baby.

That sign might as well say Tax Dodger.
Not necessarily. The ridiculous amounts that some card processing companies charge for transactions is getting out of hand, as you can only get a good rate if you’re high turnover. Banks will will still charge to process cash, but I guess if you only take cash, you don’t have to use a bank…

There's a nice Afghan restaurant in Kilburn High Rd that takes cash only. Can't quite believe there's not money laundering going on there.

Cash must be a real pain for small businesses now - it has to be counted and reconciled, taken to a bank to deposit - which will charge and probably isn't as near as it used to be and is only open during business hours - and there's the continuing risk of being robbed.

I still rely on cash for street traders, low value private sale items and small transactions in shops (unless they prefer cards).

I take cash and spend it rather than take it to the bank who charges a fortune to handle it, think it’s 70p per £100 or it was.

The sale goes through the books as cash though, there’s absolutely no need to put cash into the bank unless you want to or need to.

I’ve been a sole trader for 32 years and latterly cheque payments are almost non existent, now I only get, maybe, one cheque a year now, the vast majority of people pay with their phones or by bank transfer and some pay in cash, it’s probably 70% digital payment vs 30% cash payments now however about ten years ago or less it was about 50-50 cheques and cash and rarely bank transfer.

Most of the bank branches in my part of the country, central Derbyshire, have closed down. I'm not sure what small businesses are supposed to do with their cash takings. I guess the branch closures are part of the banks' strategy to do away with cash. I remember a few years back the same banks came up with proposals to end the use of cheques. In response to the backlash against the idea they have just become less obvious in trying to achieve their aim.
I suppose the desire to push everyone away from cash and cheques has nothing to do with them being more expensive to administer and therefore have an impact on profit margins.

One of my in law's neighbours bought their house with a suitcase full of cash.

It was Costa Blanca so obvs dodgy.

Just like all the other cash only restaurants around here.

Only if you bother to declare it. Alternatively - pay your suppliers in cash, pay your employees all or part of their wages in cash, take the rest to the supermarket, petrol station, pub, local luxury car dealer, etc. Welcome to the black economy.

Just like all the other cash only restaurants around here.

Only if you bother to declare it. Alternatively - pay your suppliers in cash, pay your employees all or part of their wages in cash, take the rest to the supermarket, petrol station, pub, local luxury car dealer, etc. Welcome to the black economy.

It’s really difficult to hide cash theses days, there’s hardly anywhere you can spend it without it being recorded, probably only takeaways and the barber but even then you’re talking buttons as in the amount you spend.

I remember reading about some guy getting caught by HMRC cause he was using his club card in Tesco when paying in cash.

We have a street food business and started not taking cash during 2020/21 because of covid. Now there’s no bank in our town at all so we’ve continued with card only. Not been a problem - we use SumUp and we pay 1.7% fee thats all.

We have a street food business and started not taking cash during 2020/21 because of covid. Now there’s no bank in our town at all so we’ve continued with card only. Not been a problem - we use SumUp and we pay 1.7% fee thats all.

Think you can bank cash at the post office now they’re tied up with some bank I believe.

advertisement

Back