advertisement

Watts aren’t all equal. How to measure an Amplifier’s “Grunt”?

KkpiBhB.jpg

If anyone's curious, I used the rectangular marque tool in Photoshop this time, instead of the circular / oblong one, to highlight.

Joe

Jez,

The sensitivity and hearing ranges for species vary widely, even on the same planet. Vulcan hearing is known to be more acute than that of most Humans.

Joe

What does "8% efficiency" mean? I've never seen this figure quoted for speakers, usually it's just a dB/W figure.

Uncle II: Electric Boogaloo!

The point, which is now thoroughly lost, is that I typically listen at sound pressure levels where a valve amp's output is quite decent, certainly not light-years away from where a decent solid state amps would be operating, apart from having higher output impedance which is my particular application is desirable, a technically sound choice even.

Joe

Incidentally, this is why Darth needs 164,735.948 watts per channel to power his Shahanians. They are ridiculously inefficient.

Joe

The point, which is now thoroughly lost, is that I typically listen at sound pressure levels where a valve amp's output is quite decent,
It is perhaps a bit more than that. If you really do listen at something like the levels you suggest then the typical distortion of a valve amplifier may be helping to overcome some of the loss of clarity and detail. Boosting the bass and treble controls may also help. I wonder how widespread listening at very low levels is among valve enthusiasts? Or am I trying to read too much into it.

h.g.,

Or am I trying to read too much into it.
Bingo!

I wonder how widespread listening at very low levels is among valve enthusiasts?
I am but one valve user among a diverse group of valve users. Extrapolation from an n of one to a population is an egregious methodological error.

It's really as simple as this: I value my hearing and I'd like to enjoy music without hearing aids at 70+.

Joe

P.S. I wouldn't consider myself a valve enthusiast. I use valves because valves makes sense in my application.

I turned up the wick to 12 o'clock on the volume knob. Trust me, there's plenty of juice left if I'd like to go louder.

IhmlQiB.jpg

Joe

For me there's a definite sweet-spot listening level at which things sound tonally balanced and dynamic range and detail can be fully appreciated. In my case this is around 75dB average with peaks into the low 90dB's. I used to listen louder than this when I had a multichannel system in a larger room, but since downsizing to a 2-channel system in a smaller room that has been partially treated with acoustic absorption, the sound is more focused and I am able to hear more detail at a lower listening level than before. I think this is also why I prefer my system to have a relatively flat frequency response without the Fletcher-Munson 'loudness button' effect of an exaggerated bottom and top end, which becomes increasingly fatiguing at louder listening levels. If I was required to listen to music at peak levels of 70dB (which suggests averages of around 55dB), I would almost certainly need to boost the bass and treble to avoid it sounding lifeless, and even then I think I'd still have a strong urge to turn up the wick...

Toto Man,

I'm seriously considering a Leben CS-300 just so I can have a bass booster knob. At my listening levels, a bit of bass would compensate nicely where the ear isn't so sensitive.

Joe

Toto Man,

I'm seriously considering a Leben CS-300 just so I can have a bass booster knob. At my listening levels, a bit of bass would compensate nicely where the ear isn't so sensitive.

Joe
That's a beautiful looking amp, it has that classic 60s tube vibe.

@Joe P, as an experiment why not try increasing your listening level slightly, say, to reach peaks of 80dB instead of 70dB? You might find this is enough to provide a better tonal balance and should still be safe for your hearing. :)

Toto Man,

I do listen louder on occasion. The figure I quoted several posts above is my typical level. (And it's there where the Leben's bass booster would be helpful.)

Joe

Peter,

I actually think my obelisks are fairly efficient!
A sensitivity of 89db for a watt at a metre is pretty typical these days, but that's around 0.5% efficient.

I guess these figures are all relative. Even at 8% my Tannoys are inefficient.

Joe

advertisement

Back