advertisement

Watts aren’t all equal. How to measure an Amplifier’s “Grunt”?

The 2x 165w my Audionet amp delivers is much more powerful than the Devialet 220 and 250, it went back to back with a Vitus R100 and Mcintosh MA9000 and came out on top. It has 1500va (2x700va) transformers for the mono amp modules and 2x50va transformers for the preamp and digital sections.

I understand that Audionet are no longer with us, which is a shame.
Interestingly, my Denon was very 'comparable' to an £11k Devialet too.

Jim,

I tried resistors with my Naim amps when I had them. It does take you part of the way there, but valve amps do some things solid state amps simply don't.*

I'd agree insofar as you'd probably also need to add some other things like output inductance and a frequency-dependent soft clipping circuit. Possiblt also a mic to add some low level microphonics... :) That said, I have in mind valve amps with low feedback, less-than-ideal output transformers, etc, etc. The reality, though, is that valve amps vary just as solid state ones do. So generalisations may fall down in specific cases.

FWIW I've designed an amp or two with variable damping factor (output impedance) and variable negative feedback. It can be set to be worse than even a SET in output impedance if so desired..... and doesn't do it by adding a resistor in line. One of hundreds of designs that'll probably never see the light of day...

Well, Ted Rule did release the Armstrong 600 amp which - in some versions - has a slightly negative output resistance over a part of the LF band. Fair number sold, although the earliest version needed tweaking later on. 8-]

Watts are Watts, current delivery is nowhere near as important as people think and nor are huge power supplies.
As ALWAYS in hi fi there is a huge chasm between "what I read somewhere" and reality...
We've been through all this before and last time, in detail, only a few months back...
Indeed, a watt is a standard unit of measurement, it equates to one joule per second.

Jim,

The short of it was that try as I might I couldn’t get my GRFs to sound anything but dry and constipated with a Naim amp. However, when I tried a valve amp with them everything flowed...

Joe

Well, Ted Rule did release the Armstrong 600 amp which - in some versions - has a slightly negative output resistance over a part of the LF band. Fair number sold, although the earliest version needed tweaking later on. 8-]

A few valve amps at one time had a damping control which could give theoretically infinite damping or even negative output resistance!

Jim,

The short of it was that try as I might I couldn’t get my GRFs to sound anything but dry and constipated with a Naim amp. However, when I tried a valve amp with them everything flowed...

Joe

On the individual level, that fine with me. :) Bottom line as ever is choose what you prefer. However things get complicated when people try to decide *why* they prefer one kind/type of amp to another, and then unsorting the reasons can be difficult.

For example, soft clipping may seem 'bad' but can make transients sound louder and carry more impact. In principle, a solid state amp could 'mimic' the effects which tend to arise in, say, a low-feedback, modest power, valve amp with limited o/p transformers. But then it's fair to ask, "why bother when you can buy a valve amp anyway"? :) However if people are trying to sort out 'reasons' unscrambling the factors which affect each individual case can be difficult.

Jim,

I doubt my 30-watt-per-channel Stingray is clipping — hard or soft — into the GRFs. I’m not a headbanger and the speakers are 8% efficient, so a watt is more than plenty for very loud room-filling sound.

At the levels I listen (65-75 dB) it’s likely the stingray’s THD figures are near what a decent solid state amp has.

I honestly would be happier with a solid state amp for all sorts of reasons, but with vintage speakers from the late 1950s valves are the way to go.

(That said, I’m withholding judgment on an Accuphase integrated until I try it, but my spider sense tells me toobs are the way to go with my speakers.)

By the way, I’m not making the argument that valve amps have better specs than solid state ones. But in my system I doubt even Keith or the most objective objectivista would find SS preferable

Joe

Jim,

I doubt my 30-watt-per-channel Stingray is clipping — hard or soft — into the GRFs. I’m not a headbanger and the speakers are 8% efficient, so a watt is more than plenty for very loud room-filling sound.

At the levels I listen (65-75 dB) it’s likely the stingray’s THD figures are near what a decent solid state amp has.

I honestly would be happier with a solid state amp for all sorts of reasons, but with vintage speakers from the late 1950s valves are the way to go.

(That said, I’m withholding judgment on an Accuphase integrated until I try it, but my spider sense tells me toobs are the way to go with my speakers.)

By the way, I’m not making the argument that valve amps have better specs than solid state ones. But in my system I doubt even Keith or the most objective objectivista would find SS preferable

Joe
We would have to compare unsighted Joe!
Keith

Keith,

Yes, unsighted and level matched with stringent case-control methodology and accompanying statistical analyses along with everything else imaginable to drive the bit of joy I get from this hobby.

Joe

By the way, here are the Stingray's THD figures into an 8-, 4- and 2-Ohm load with the red blob being where I typically listen.

to4sqLb.jpg

Likely below audibility, so lower THD wouldn't result in perceptively better sound.

Joe

That's pretty high. Probably 2nd HD mostly.
I think that's audible. I don't agree with Harold Leak('s marketing).

S-man,

Maybe that much THD is audible. (Isn’t ~0.1 to 0.3% THC the threshold?) But regardless it sounds good and, well, that’s my criterion for choosing A over B.

Joe

I know that has a typo but I can’t be arsed to fix it.

Joe

advertisement

Back