advertisement

Was I expecting too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps, but my tendency is to appreciate that if I buy second hand I buy at my risk. If he didn't deliver the item in the photo or it was clearly knackered and the photo didn't show this then you are right, he is a twat.
If on the other hand, you got delivered what is in the photo then that is your look out. He offered to take ten item back, so you would not be out the item cost of a useless piece of kit (although others have commented on a perfectly useful work around) but to ask him to pay for the postage is actually a bit rich.

The dealer might not have been the most diplomatic in the world, but actually I think it is you who is being the twat in this instance.

Well thanks for your ten pence worth, you would'nt happen to be a freind of the dealer by any chance!! Have you actualy read all of the original post?

If you can come to the conclusion that I'm being a twat then maybe you need to make an apointment with your local shrink!!

Get over yourself.

I buy stuff second hand all the time. I even sell some of it. Never had an issue with anyone questioning my ethics in any event. I do not know your dealer and I do not know you, for the record.

I simply stated that if you buy second hand you ask all your questions up front, and you suck it up if you f**k it up and don't end up with your ideal dream item. Happened to me in the past too, plenty of times.

Basically I just agreed that if the guy made a deal on postage he ought to have stuck to it. I just think that you are fortunate he's taking it back at all. His bad is that he's ducked out on a deal. Yours for even posting this crap.

FWIW, I have just coughed more than I care to think about to ship a couple of amps from abroad. The cost of postage was x5 more than I expected when I made the deal to buy them. So I sucked it up. A deal's a deal, why ask the seller to return money, it was my problem - I could have determined postage ahead of time but I made an ASSUMPTION and now I'll rue that. (Well, a bit - they're great amps) :)

Get over it, and seek the medical help yourself. If all you want is to be mollycoddled then why post on a forum where you will get different opinions? Sheesh, everyone wants to change other people, but so rarely themselves...

I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the black double pronged Naim plugs would be for connection to my Naim amp, and the banana's for the speaker end, but when they arrived I quickly realised that this was not the case and they were in fact terminated the opposite way round. These were of no use to me in this configuration

Looking for a pair of Naca5 speaker cables, anywhere around 4 or 5mtrs in length, terminated or not, cheap as possible please.

The plot thickens ....
All is not what it seems ....
There are 2 sides to every story etc...

:p

Here's the thing, ask a question on a forum and you'll get a thousand different answers and, if you're not careful, some abuse and some people telling you how to live your life (usually by their rules)!

Personally though if I'd said to someone I'd give them the postage back on return I'd hold true to my word because that's the *honourable* thing to do. If I felt they didn't deserve and the situation was their fault I wouldn't promise to do it in the first place, bad day or no bad day and we all have that.

Personally I'd consider myself to lack integrity if I reneged on such a deal on a whim or for any other reason but then maybe I'm old fashioned and some people prefer a different way because that's what they'd do themselves.

Who is right and who is wrong, I dunno, we've heard one side of the story but I've obviously been lucky with sellers so far!

Apparently I've just been 'moderated'!

Most interesting post by lotus. Methinks the OP is looking for sympathy where none is deserved. Doesn't excuse the dealer's after the fact actions of course...

:)

The dealer said he would refund postage and then didn't.

Thank you OP for alerting the forum to this untrustworthy jackal.

The dealer said he would refund postage and then didn't.

Thank you OP for alerting the forum to this untrustworthy jackal.
Remember we have only heard one side of the story. You may be right, or there may be more to this story than we have been told.

Nic P

If you bought on-line do the Distance Selling Regulations not apply, as he is a dealer. So he should refund all costs and return postage unless he has expressly written that return postage is at the buyer's expense.

From OFT Guide

Refunds
The retailer must refund the full amount including the delivery costs as soon as possible after the consumer cancels, and in any case within 30 days at the latest. You cannot insist on the goods being received by you before you make a refund.

Returning goods
Only if it is covered in the contract and the written information can you require the consumer to pay for the cost of returning the ordered goods. If the consumer then fails to return the goods, or sends them at your expense, you can charge them the direct cost to you of the return, even if you have already refunded the consumer’s money. You are not allowed to make any further charges, such as a restocking charge or an administration charge.
If you do not include these details in the required written information then you cannot charge anything. You can never require consumers to pay the cost of returning substitute goods. If the goods are faulty or do not comply with the contract, you will have to pay for their return whatever the circumstances.

I believe NAC A5 is arrowed the way it comes off the reel; not that they make any directional claims, but it does ensure that a pair are identical in that respect. Again, probably without any sonic foundation, but it fits the (Naim) image.

Therefore, it seems to me, the o.p. received that which was advertised and pictured, but thought that diectionality was sacrosanct, rendering the cables useless in his eyes. They were, in fact, quite fit for the purpose, it seems.

Why on Earth the dealer agreed to refund original postage under these circumstances is beyond me, but a professional promise, once made, should be delivered. Not, obviously, very professional at all !

i pretty sure i recall a thread on the naim forum a couple years ago, where naim claimed the cable was directional, and that they listened to every reel to insure the direction was marked correctly, or something like that. several naim dealers chimed in that the cable was indeed directional.

Before you sent the cable back/asked for a refund, you should've asked the question here if it's directional. You would have then had the reassurance that it was 'fit for purpose'.
If your lucky enough the hear cable direction, well done, if you can decide one way's better than the other, even better.

I've seen the thread, and unusually for that dealer, the cables reasonably priced. I'd have tried it , after a few minutes listening, you'd forget about cable directionality, if not, there's something far more serious wrong with your gear.

I do agree though, if he said you'll receive return postage, thats what you should get.

FWIW, Nac 5 is usually £10 m terminated, 2nd hand, the new price has recently gone to £20m, the 2nd hand prices will rise accordingly.

Everyone other than aoijin is missing the point.

If the buyer bought from a dealer on line, and the parts weren't made to order, then the dealer HAS to eat the cost of the delivery. Whether he likes it or not, under the distance selling regs outward postage has to be paid by him in teh event of a return so his statement that he is within his rights to not pay the postage is completely wrong and he is breaking the law (assuming that is what he said).
If it was me I'd be having a chat with trading standards and once it was sorted out I'd be letting everyone know what happened and invite the dealer to respond.

Let's get this straight - you returned a set of cables because they were terminated the opposite way round (directionally, if you believe that is possible) from the way you were expecting??!!!!!! You've got to be absolutely kidding! (This from someone who uses Kondo silver cables)....

i pretty sure i recall a thread on the naim forum a couple years ago, where naim claimed the cable was directional, and that they listened to every reel to insure the direction was marked correctly, or something like that. several naim dealers chimed in that the cable was indeed directional.

What utter horse.

^^^ that being the case shouldn't the dealer have pointed that out *before* agreeing to a return and to *refunding postage*?

If it is the case, and we only have one side of the story so far, that upon receipt of the item he changed his mind he not only was going back on his word but it seems he may have been breaking the law - *if* that's all true I don't see he has a leg to stand on. Nor do I understand why people are defending him unless they either don't believe the OP or would behave in the same dishonourable (perhaps illegal) way themselves.

Am I missing something?

I really don't see what the seller has done wrong, find a local person who can re-solder them and get it done, or take a hacksaw to the speaker terminated end and fit, simple.

^ if you read the OP you might notice the seller apparently agreed to take the cables back and refund postage, he then according to the OP reneged on the agreement.

Again if you read the OP you'll notice the cables have been sent back (that's rather the crux of the matter) so re soldering them or whatever is rather a mute issue!

BTW, am I the only person here damned glad not to have this hassle with kit because I don't have Naim? Just a thought ....

Me thinks the OP is a mite precious. If I was the seller, I wouldn't have taken the cables back.

I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the black double pronged Naim plugs would be for connection to my Naim amp, and the banana's for the speaker end...

We all know assumptions are the mother of all fark cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back