advertisement

War declared, Israel v Palestine...

The US, like the UK, will always set the police against those seeking peace and equality. A very, very long history of being wrong.

‘Violent, vigilante attack’ on pro-Palestine students at UCLA

Reporting from Los Angeles
This is the largest manifestation of the pro-Zionist, pro-Israel group of counter-protesters, many of whom, in my observation, are from off campus.
They are attacking the pro-Palestine encampment on campus. It’s been maintained by students who are protesting Israel’s war on Gaza and calling for the divestment of the university’s financial ties to Israel.
This is the most violent, vigilante attack against these students that I’ve seen.
There was definitely what you could call hand-to-hand combat between the two groups. There were a lot of objects thrown and chemical irritants used. I see smoke, I see fireworks … people beating on the boards that separate the camp from the rest of the campus. I would be surprised if someone hasn’t been injured in the melee tonight.
The people who are attacking are the counter-demonstrators, who are aligned with pro-Israel, pro-Zionist organisations. They are carrying a yellow flag with a crown on it with a word that means “messiah” in Hebrew.
The important thing to note is that there seems to be absolutely no police intervention whatsoever.

‘UCLA attack went on for two hours’

We’ve spoken to Sean Beckner-Carmitchel, a videographer and a writer, who witnessed the attack by counterprotesters on the pro-Palestinian activists.
Here’s his account:
“Late at night, a group of about 100 counter-protesters to the Gaza solidarity encampent at the University of California Los Angeles began to throw fireworks, began to throw sticks.
“I saw a few very large objects being thrown at the camp. They began to yell things in support of Israel, but I also heard racial epithets towards Black people, I heard quite a bit of language which implies sexual violence, as well as threats of violence.
“It went on for about two hours; there was no response from the UCLA police nor there was any response from the Los Angeles police department of the California Highway Patrol.
“After about two hours, they did arrive and counter-protesters eventually left.”

Manhattan district attorney will decide whether to charge arrested protesters

Reporting from New York
The university is still closed. There are police outside the main gate and no one is allowed to go on campus unless you are a student. Everything at this point is pretty calm.
We don’t know how many [people] will be charged … They were arresting people, putting them in buses and taking them to police headquarters.
Just because someone is detained or arrested by the police does not necessarily mean they committed a crime; that will be up to the Manhattan district attorney Alvin Bragg.
The police will give him reports of what they believe the charges should be, but it’s ultimately up to the Manhattan district attorney to decide if any charges will be brought forward.

and the disgrace of a Democrat mayor...

‘No place for acts of hate in our city’: NYC mayor

New York City Mayor Eric Adams says about 300 people were arrested in police crackdowns on pro-Palestinian protests at Columbia University and City College of New York.
“We cannot allow what should be a lawful protest to turn into a violent spectacle that saves and serves no purpose. There’s no place for acts of hate in our city,” Adams said at the news briefing.
“I want to continue to commend the professionalism of the police department and to thank Columbia University. It was a tough decision, we understood that. But with the very clear evidence of their observation and the clear evidence from our intelligence division, that they understood it was time to move and the action had to end and we brought it to a peaceful conclusion,” he said.

Clearly we're in for a big long-term debate about what constitutes anti-semitism, in the context of pro-Zionism or a rejection of the actions of the Israeli state. How much this will split Jews can only be guessed. There must be immense pressure amongst Jews to support the actions of Israel which must be very hard to argue against within the faith.

As I write, a live press conference shown on the BBC, US senators calling the pro Palestinian college demonstrations "little Gazas" and calling out what in their view is violent antisemitism.
Not sure if the US political establishment could debase it's self more at the feet of fascists if it tried.

Incidentally the BBC cut short an interview with a Jewish college professor expressing dismay at Police tactics.

In the upside down world we live in, the violence sparked by the pro-Israel counter protestors has provided the perfect justification to demonize those wanting an end to the misery in Gaza.

Clearly we're in for a big long-term debate about what constitutes anti-semitism, in the context of pro-Zionism or a rejection of the actions of the Israeli state. How much this will split Jews can only be guessed. There must be immense pressure amongst Jews to support the actions of Israel which must be very hard to argue against within the faith.

Generational too - certainly going from some of my team, active anti-Zionism is more common in younger Jewish people. Hugely difficult within the community.

Feel like I should add I'm an atheist so I consider all of this to be senseless violence and killing over a bunch of fairytales.

Generational too - certainly going from some of my team, active anti-Zionism is more common in younger Jewish people. Hugely difficult within the community.

Feel like I should add I'm an atheist so I consider all of this to be senseless violence and killing over a bunch of fairytales.

Its partly about religion, but its more about power and control. Religion has always been about power and control. Not sure where the human race is heading, it almost makes me glad to be old.

Its partly about religion, but its more about power and control. Religion has always been about power and control. Not sure where the human race is heading, it almost makes me glad to be old.
I agree, but the (or at least my) atheist perspective is that the power and control is only exercisable by religion because people choose to believe in evidence-free stories.

I agree, but the (or at least my) atheist perspective is that the power and control is only exercisable by religion because people choose to believe in evidence-free stories.
People 'choose' to believe what members of their identity group are 'supposed' to believe. Evidence has nothing to do with it in the vast majority of cases.

UCLA faculty members feel ‘outrage and betrayal’ towards university administration

Hundreds of protesters at UCLA campus are “getting ready for what seems to be inevitable”, as riot police encircle the pro-Gaza encampment, Al Jazeera’s Rob Reynolds reports from Los Angeles.
Danielle Carr, an assistant professor at UCLA, told Reynolds of the “outrage and betrayal” many faculty members and students are feeling towards the university administration, particularly over their inaction when pro-Israel counter-protesters attacked the encampment.
“It took several hours for the university to respond and secure student safety,” she told Al Jazeera.
“So the irony that the encampment will be facing a militarised police invasion tonight, probably including tear gas, in the name of the student safety – it’s hard to say just how disgusting many of the faculty are finding this.”

More than 1,600 arrests at student-led protests on 30 US campuses: Report

The Associated Press news agency reports that, according to its own calculations, police made arrests at least 38 times on US campuses since April 18, resulting in more than 1,600 people being arrested at 30 universities and colleges over protests calling for an end to Israel’s war on Gaza.

US lawmakers accused of equating criticism of Israel with anti-Semitism

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) has blasted US lawmakers who voted overwhelmingly to approve a bill that broadens the definition of anti-Semitism in the US.
The proposal, which aims to codify a new definition of anti-Semitism, was passed 320-91 and will now have to be also approved by the Senate. Critics fear the new definition – which is taken from the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) – will be used to label any criticism of Israel in the US as anti-Semitic.
“Tonight we condemned members of the US House of Representatives who voted to approve a one-sided and dishonest proposal about campus antisemitism that ignored anti-Palestinian racism and conflates criticism of Israel with antisemitism,” CAIR said in a post on social media.
“The push to adopt this act was motivated by an anti-Palestinian bias aimed at stifling young student voices advocating for Palestinian human rights, especially following Israel’s genocidal invasion of Gaza,” CAIR’s Robert S McCaw said in a statement.

Very eloquent student on R4 Today just before 7 this morning.
In fact today has been one of the rare times I've listened to the show completely.
Feature on mushrooms too.

advertisement

Back