advertisement

War declared, Israel v Palestine...

I hope it is a bad joke or a fabrication by Al Jazeera. But I assure you that Israelis felt a great sense of relief (I was there at the time and talked to a lot of people about it) in 2005 when Sharon's government forcibly pulled out thousands of Jewish settlers.
Toss.

I hope it is a bad joke or a fabrication by Al Jazeera. But I assure you that Israelis felt a great sense of relief (I was there at the time and talked to a lot of people about it) in 2005 when Sharon's government forcibly pulled out thousands of Jewish settlers.
That was then. We know what happened to Sharon. The settlers had to be dragged out kicking and screaming, and the settler faction persists and is now in government. Liberal sentiment like yours and you friends does not run Israel.

watch from 40 mins or so for a stark view on current Israeli society.

You only have to view a few minutes of the settler movement and their spokespeople in government on Twitter, they really are ****ing batshit crazy and no amount of reasoning will change that

That was then. We know what happened to Sharon. The settlers had to be dragged out kicking and screaming, and the settler faction persists and is now in government. Liberal sentiment like yours and you friends does not run Israel.
One can only hope that it will do, some day. Preferably soon.

Qatar rejects US lawmaker’s claim that it pays Hamas ‘$30m per month’

Qatar’s embassy in Washington has rejected a statement by US House Oversight Committee chairman James Comer that “inaccurately claims” Doha has paid Hamas “$30m per month since 2018”.
The embassy said that “Qatar does not pay Hamas”, adding that it has provided assistance to Gaza in two ways with the “full coordination” of the Israeli government.
The first is a Qatar-funded fuel purchasing scheme to generate electricity in Gaza, and the second is a project in partnership with the World Food Programme that provides “$100 per month to the poorest families in Gaza”.
It added that the Israeli government had oversight over both projects and “encouraged and strongly supported” the contributions.
“Misinformation about Qatar and its humanitarian contributions is unhelpful to these delicate negotiations,” the embassy wrote.
Today in Washington, the House Committee on Oversight and Accountability @GOPoversight issued a press release that inaccurately claims Qatar has paid Hamas “$30 million per month since 2018.”
Qatar does not pay Hamas.
In full coordination with the Government of Israel, Qatar…
— Qatar Embassy USA (@QatarEmbassyUSA) April 9, 2024

‘Clear history’ of Israel exploiting Palestinian natural resources: Lawyer

As the world watches Israel’s military onslaught on the Gaza Strip, there’s one development that’s received close to zero attention: Israel’s granting of 12 new licences for gas exploration.
“There is a very clear history and ongoing policy of exploiting natural resources that belong to the Palestinian people,” said Suhad Bishara, the legal director of Adalah, which has written to the Israeli Energy Ministry demanding it cancels the licences.

watch from 40 mins or so for a stark view on current Israeli society.
Thanks for that, really interesting,watch from 40. And yes, that simple thing she said rang so true “ why do you never see western media putting microphones in front of ordinary Israelis?” My. immediate thought was ‘oh that’s cos it’s like Russia or China, state regulated’ but it’s not. Anyhow listen to what her experience of doing that was.

Ironically, that PaulMB must be one of those ‘leftists’ she’s on about, probably why he lives here.
”What do we want? Slightly fewer dead babies and innocents. When do we want it? Now!”

Last edited:
I hope it is a bad joke or a fabrication by Al Jazeera. But I assure you that Israelis felt a great sense of relief (I was there at the time and talked to a lot of people about it) in 2005 when Sharon's government forcibly pulled out thousands of Jewish settlers….
….who are now taking over the West Bank

Gaza will need rebuilding. The logical way to do that is to build infrastructure to attract wealth, building that will come from loans from the IMF to be paid for by Gaza in exchange for the usual ‘conditionalities’; privatisation, spending restrictions and deregulation.

Gaza will become a neoliberal nirvana from which Israel will be a major beneficiary

I've seen various street interviews with Israelis on YT and in answer to the question "do you think Jews are naturally superior?" about 50% said "yes" quite casually. So the video above wasn't totally a surprise, but nevertheless so shocking I had to turn it off in disgust.

I've seen various street interviews with Israelis on YT and in answer to the question "do you think Jews are naturally superior?" about 50% said "yes" quite casually. So the video above wasn't totally a surprise, but nevertheless so shocking I had to turn it off in disgust.
I'm actually surprised that the % wasn't higher.

"do you think Jews are naturally superior?"
replace 'Jews' with 'Swiss' or 'British' or 'Icelandic' or whatever you want. If less than 50% would openly agree, the ratio of those who secretly do is certainly higher than 50%. No need to be Jewish. And, imagine for a moment: wait for Britain to enter a war, the agreement ratio will soar to 90% within days, Tory govt ot not. Easy to criticise from afar.

Street interviews: they are always totally worthless, and are fortunately becoming rare in serious media. Journos usually start by writing something, then they hit the streets for a few interviews, at home they sort out the answers which don't match their text. They might leave one or two contradicting answers in, in order for their article to look 'well researched'. Another bonus of this method is that the built-in contradictors look (or are made look) silly, which adds an element of fun to an otherwise ultra-cheap article.

Finally, exposing Israel's inhabitants to the question quoted in this post has a slightly antisemitic aftertaste for me. Jews and Israeli are two things, and Israeli politics are again something different.

Would you Brits like it if I would run into you on the street with my mike in hand, questioning you about your Christianism/Anglicanism, your current Toryness and, say, your idiocy to have voted for Brexit (which of course all of you did) ?

Israel blocks more food trucks than other aid into Gaza: UN

Israel is restricting far more convoys carrying food aid into Gaza – where famine is looming – than convoys carrying other kinds of humanitarian relief, the UN says.
A spokesman for the United Nations’ humanitarian agency pointed to statistics from March showing it is much more difficult to get clearance for delivering food than other aid in the war-ravaged Palestinian territory.
“Food convoys that should be going particularly to the north, where 70 percent of people face famine conditions, are … three times more likely to be denied than any other humanitarian convoys with other kinds of material,” Jens Laerke told reporters in Geneva.
While Israel complains about UN distribution, “half of the convoys that we were trying to send to the north with food [in March] were denied by the very same Israeli authorities”, said Laerke.
“The obligation is on the warring parties, and in particular … on Israel as the occupying power of Gaza, to facilitate and ensure humanitarian access does not stop at the border.”

When will the ICJ decide on Nicaragua’s case against Germany?

It will likely take the court years to issue a final ruling on Nicaragua’s case against Germany that it is abetting acts of genocide in Gaza.
However, the court is expected to decide whether to order provisional measures sought by Nicaragua within weeks.
These measures could include ordering Germany to:
  • immediately suspend military assistance to Israel
  • immediately ensure that military equipment, weapons, or other equipment used for military purposes already delivered to Israel are not being used to commit international law violations
  • resume support and financing of UNRWA.

replace 'Jews' with 'Swiss' or 'British' or 'Icelandic' or whatever you want. If less than 50% would openly agree, the ratio of those who secretly do is certainly higher than 50%. No need to be Jewish. And, imagine for a moment: wait for Britain to enter a war, the agreement ratio will soar to 90% within days, Tory govt ot not. Easy to criticise from afar.

Street interviews: they are always totally worthless, and are fortunately becoming rare in serious media. Journos usually start by writing something, then they hit the streets for a few interviews, at home they sort out the answers which don't match their text. They might leave one or two contradicting answers in, in order for their article to look 'well researched'. Another bonus of this method is that the built-in contradictors look (or are made look) silly, which adds an element of fun to an otherwise ultra-cheap article.

Finally, exposing Israel's inhabitants to the question quoted in this post has a slightly antisemitic aftertaste for me. Jews and Israeli are two things, and Israeli politics are again something different.

Would you Brits like it if I would run into you on the street with my mike in hand, questioning you about your Christianism/Anglicanism, your current Toryness and, say, your idiocy to have voted for Brexit (which of course all of you did) ?
How pleasant to read some solid common sense!

Worth reading the Wiki history of Gaza.
You are seriously suggesting Wiki as a source - I really don't understand why Tony hasn't blocked you from this thread - you are so far out of kilter with reality it is worrying. I say worrying because you are not alone.

Regards

Richard

replace 'Jews' with 'Swiss' or 'British' or 'Icelandic' or whatever you want. If less than 50% would openly agree, the ratio of those who secretly do is certainly higher than 50%. >>

I would hope that British citizens stopped in the street would generally say that they were no more "superior"than any other citizens and that it was a silly question.

"Street interviews: they are always totally worthless...">>

Not necessarily, they are qualitative information which is routine in research. Depends how they are edited, as you say, but these are still real people expressing their views unless they are staged, which is unusual.

Finally, exposing Israel's inhabitants to the question quoted in this post has a slightly antisemitic aftertaste for me. Jews and Israeli are two things, and Israeli politics are again something different.>>

These were interviews with Israelis in Israel. No need to bring "antisemitism" into this at all.

Would you Brits like it if I would run into you on the street with my mike in hand....>>

Plenty of street interviews with Brits on all kinds of media. They generally don't mind at all.

advertisement

Back