advertisement

[WTD] WANTED: Naim SL2 Tweeters

Whaleblue

Southbound
I got the SL2s I was looking for remarkably quickly, and very happy with them indeed.

Looking for the insurance of a proper pair of spare tweeters to put away in a drawer.

Thanks for Looking. Thanks even more if you can help in any way!

I’m sure anyone looking will know, but the correct model is the Scanspeak D2010/851100. The perfect option being a pair that Naim selected as a matched set.

Naim SL2 speakers in very good condition. Maple finish with brand new foam grills recently purchased from TomTom Audio. These are very good speakers but not working for me. I don’t have original boxes so collection is probably a must. Asking £2500. I also have a new boxed pair of tweeters for sale for £200 which I will offer to the purchaser of the speakers first.
You have seen this I assume?

I'm sure plenty of people will have squirrelled a pair away. I certainly have for my NBL's, but of course few will be willing to sell unless the speakers are also sold. Fortunately with NBL's or DBL's you have a few other easy options such as upgrade to D9005 or use the new D2010 variant without any need for cabinet modifications.

Richard Dane on the Naim forum recommends the new Scanspeak version as a sensible replacement, albeit requiring a bit of jiggery pokery with the mounting plates.

I'm sure he does, Naim once again having been "caught with their pants down" when a regularly required spare part becomes unobtainable. Obviously they have no stock! CDS3 mechanism anybody?

I'm sure he does, Naim once again having been "caught with their pants down" when a regularly required spare part becomes unobtainable. Obviously they have no stock! CDS3 mechanism anybody?
Naim stopped making the SL2s over 16 years ago... how long would you like them to offer the support for? Furthermore how would you like them to do that for a bought in part? Buy Scanspeak so they can ensure they keep making the tweeter until the last pait of SL2s are in the skip? :rolleyes:

Original Naim equipment made in 1973 is still actively used. They built a reputation on reliability and servicabilty, and when it first wobbled with the CDS3 mech they came up with a complex work around and they committed to retaining spare mechs for every CD555 sold in order to retain that reputation. Change of ownership. Nuff said!

How many people own 20+ year old cars and expect spare parts to be readily available?

Similar sort of price point isn't it? Particularly if you bought a whole system!

Original Naim equipment made in 1973 is still actively used. They built a reputation on reliability and servicabilty, and when it first wobbled with the CDS3 mech they came up with a complex work around and they committed to retaining spare mechs for every CD555 sold in order to retain that reputation. Change of ownership. Nuff said!

How many people own 20+ year old cars and expect spare parts to be readily available?

Similar sort of price point isn't it? Particularly if you bought a whole system!
Sigh... you just don't understand business do you? Oh and by the way we have a 20 yo Audi TT and guess what? Audi no longer make half the parts for it including consumables like shock absorbers... so great comparison, thanks :D

Apologies to the OP for going slightly OT, hope you find what you want, they are great speakers.

Naim wouldn't modify my olive SNAXO to work with Isobariks.
Witch Hat were able to do so in April 2023.
They went out of business a few weeks later!

I changed my mind about making my Isobariks with ancient a costly Naim products and bout a new pair of active ATC 50s.

I sold the SNAXO a few weeks later to another eBay seller famous for his ludicrous pricing of Isobarik "upgrades".

I understand business and customer service very well. Naim had every opportunity to stock up on those tweeters in the well advertised final production run and clearly chose not to.

Naim now seem not to be able to service even some very recently produced equipment such as the original Uniti.

With support like that they won't be getting any more of my business and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like that.

Sorry to hear about your equally poor experience with German cars. When I ran a 20 year old Jag you could still get everything for it though I can't vouch for whether that's still the case under Tata's ownership.

I did have a bit of a ramble through Willy's Hifi a while back looking at data sheets with a view to "upgrading" my SL2 tweeters, though probably sensibly never did anything about it. The site has reasonably detailed looking data sheets for the tweeters.

Similar enough? New one maybe drops off a bit more quickly above 10,000 hz though I doubt my ears go much above this at my age. No idea what any of the more esoteric numbers mean, though the physical ones and resistance look pretty similar.

Not exactly breaking the bank to give them a try, but a bit of a faff.

As others suggest, those with SL2s are unlikely to part with matched pairs they've squirrelled away. And I suspect they'd tend to give first dibs to anyone buying their SL2s.

If anyone has tried the 852100s I'm sure people would be interested to hear their experiences, both in terms of fitting and sonically. You'd easily be able to revert your originals, assuming they're still working.

But I had the impression that non-ferro fluid ones lasted for ages provided they weren't blown - as the dog did sitting on the remote with a pair of mine.

I've no links to Willy's Hifi other than buying tweeters for SL2s and Allaes from them. Also bought replacement foam surrounds - would recommend not bothering as the originals are well glued in and a pain to replace.

The problem isn't so much with the characteristics, it's the fact that the new one isn't a physical drop in replacement since it's terminals are on the sides rather than on the back. Also the d2008 has four mounting screws rather than three.

The implications of this are that baffles need additional cut outs to accommodate the terminals in most cases - so woodwork or for the SL2's metalwork!

Fortunately for NBL's and DBL's there is no major issue due to the tweeters being mounted on springs by the faceplate.

I understand business and customer service very well. Naim had every opportunity to stock up on those tweeters in the well advertised final production run and clearly chose not to.
Nor would I have done so were I them. The speakers were 15 years discontinued by then. There is no business sense to stocking up on expensive spare parts for items discontinued that long ago. This is why Naim makes a healthy profit these days as opposed to how they would go under your leadership. :D You can't offer any sort of customer service when you've gone bust!!
With support like that they won't be getting any more of my business and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like that.
Oh dear, I suspect they'll be crying to know that... all the way to the bank :D
Sorry to hear about your equally poor experience with German cars. When I ran a 20 year old Jag you could still get everything for it though I can't vouch for whether that's still the case under Tata's ownership.
I have not had a bad experience, third party parts are plentiful thank you... I was just pointing out that OEM parts are not. Car is running fine and I suspect will keep doing so for at least another decade... unlike my mate's 2006 X Type that had to be scrapped last week due to a collapsed subframe... you pays your money :D

The great news is Tiggers is here to defend Naim no matter where the criticism hides!
Just bringing some facts and knowledge of how profitable businesses actually run to those clearly bereft of that knowledge. I guess you're another one of them!

Oh dear, I suspect they'll be crying to know that... all the way to the bank
In my case they very well might be!

I'm recently retired and looking to replace my NBL six pack system (mostly because of lack of support for the NBL's going forward, the rest of it I can pretty much sort out for myself).

They even shot the Kudos Titan 808 option dead by discontinuing the Snaxo, though in practice I didn't much care for the Titans and would have been very nervous about buying a 20k+ product from a very small company with limited track record anyway.

Genelec, on the other hand, are probably rubbing their hands with delight.

I'm sure one customer, however significant, in the scheme of thins will make little difference. Trouble is (for Naim) there are a lot more like me out there. I've lost count of the number on here who used to own serious Naim systems and now don't. Naim have definitely got something very wrong.

advertisement

Back