advertisement

Voice control of TV and Radio (Google Assistant, Alexia etc)

mandryka

pfm Member
I want to put a monitor in a room, connect it to a Satellite Receiver and control it all with my voice (because I'll be on an exercise bike.)

I plan to receive TV through TNT SAT, I have a "Strong" receiver, and I would like to play internet radio stations through the same equipment. That's the easy bit, I know I can do all of that. Now the bit I'm unsure of.

I would like to use voice control to change channel and volume.

Is this possible?

You really can’t just use a tv remote for Prog & vol + & -whilst riding an exercise bike?
Surely that’s no more difficult than changing the bikes exercise programme controls whilst pedalling.
It probably is the simplest & cheapest solution, no?

Alexa, volume 5. Alexa volume 7.
Alexa, play radio paradise / 6 music, radio f-i-p.
Done.
Alexa can't handle instructions in French. Hence asking for "Rrraddio Feep" gets nothing of the kind. Are they available in other languages in the relevant territories?

url=http://www.ipernity.com/doc/296341/40236438]
40236438.8a086ae2.1024.jpg
[/url]
gym screen

Rowing machine, cocktail table, old 24" monitor and Apple TV. Latest Apple TV takes Siri voice commands.

You really can’t just use a tv remote for Prog & vol + & -whilst riding an exercise bike?
Surely that’s no more difficult than changing the bikes exercise programme controls whilst pedalling.
It probably is the simplest & cheapest solution, no?

Yes, what I was hoping to do looks to me difficult if not impossible.

A function that is very easily turned off in settings.

Have you taped over your laptop camera?

How so? The voice data has to go to Google in order for the device to function. (Ditto Amazon for Alexa, Microsoft for Cortana, etc).

How does changing a check box in settings prevent them doing something they only recently admitted to doing, even though the product has been on sale for years?

Last edited:
Google in order for Alexa to function

Alexa devices = Amazon and Google Home devices = Google. Principle is the same though

Harmony universal remote controls can be activated and controlled by Alexa. i don't know how sophisticated it is, but if you can control your SAT box with a Harmony remote, then maybe you can use Alexa to control the Harmony remote.

Have you taped over your laptop camera?

A virus, etc, may well turn (back) on the camera/mic. Indeed, a website can do this anyway unless you've ensured your browser blocks it.

Private Eye has repeatedly reported why people should be wary of net-mediated voice control devices. Including open admissions by the companies about this when questioned in the US Congress.

Private Eye has repeatedly reported why people should be wary of net-mediated voice control devices. Including open admissions by the companies about this when questioned in the US Congress.
I would like to know how they sift through the vast volumes of data thus harvested. If I set mine to "play Radio 4" then it's going to have to wade through hours of World at 1, The Archers and ISIHAC to get to me talking to my mate about the prices of used LP12s. That's a long way to not much.

When I speak to Alexa through my Firestick remote control she just ignores me or comes up with spurious reasons why she can't do as I ask.

Edit: Just seen the above more recent posts. Could my Firestick remote be listening to me and reporting back to them? :eek:

I would like to know how they sift through the vast volumes of data thus harvested. If I set mine to "play Radio 4" then it's going to have to wade through hours of World at 1, The Archers and ISIHAC to get to me talking to my mate about the prices of used LP12s. That's a long way to not much.

They don't sift through all the data, but if they ever wanted to they would -- if you were ever suspected of something for example. Can you imagine what Reinhard Heydrich would have done with that information?

They don't sift through all the data, but if they ever wanted to they would -- if you were ever suspected of something for example. Can you imagine what Reinhard Heydrich would have done with that information?
Dunno. Scored himself an absolutely top-class stereo for loose change from Dave's cast-offs?

How so? The voice data has to go to Google in order for the device to function. (Ditto Amazon for Alexa, Microsoft for Cortana, etc).

How does changing a check box in settings prevent them doing something they only recently admitted to doing, even though the product has been on sale for years?

Easy

• Open the Alexa app on your phone.
  • Tap the menu button on the top left of the screen.
  • Select “Alexa Account.”
  • Choose “Alexa Privacy.”
  • Select “Manage how your data improves Alexa.”
  • Turn off the button next to “Help Develop New Features.”
  • Turn off the button next to your name under “Use Messages to Improve Transcriptions.”
You are now anonymous.

You can alternatively wear a tin foil hat.

advertisement

Back