advertisement

Voice control of TV and Radio (Google Assistant, Alexia etc)

• Select “Manage how your data improves Alexa.”
  • Turn off the button next to “Help Develop New Features.”
  • Turn off the button next to your name under “Use Messages to Improve Transcriptions.”
You are now anonymous.

You can alternatively wear a tin foil hat.
Firstly, these things should be ‘off’ by default. Secondly, does it explain, in easily accessible terms, what happens to the data if you don’t turn it off?

And Bob, that’s twice you’ve been extremely and gratuitously condescending to me in the last week or so. Have I done something to upset you?

Why should they be off by default?
Without being on in the first place the device cannot “learn” your voice.

Do you own a smart phone?
If so do you turn off every tracking app on it?

Extremely and gratuitously?
You are a sensitive soul!

Until we have replicators, what's the point of talking to an AI?

Joe

Why should they be off by default?
Without being on in the first place the device cannot “learn” your voice.
The point being that even if they have to send your data, the reasonable expectation is that it’s all automatic, ie people don’t listen in.

And if they’re listening without telling you, can you really trust them when they say that the device isn’t listening all the time, but only when you ‘wake’ it?
Do you own a smart phone?
If so do you turn off every tracking app on it?
Yes and yes.

Then I turn on the ones I need, when the app is in use only.

People need to take their privacy more seriously.
Extremely and gratuitously?
You are a sensitive soul!
Not sensitive, it’s just that not long ago you rudely told me to read a newspaper rather than answer a simple question, and now you are accusing me of paranoia. I never had you down as an internet wide boy, but your response is duly noted.

Last edited:
I would like to know how they sift through the vast volumes of data thus harvested. If I set mine to "play Radio 4" then it's going to have to wade through hours of World at 1, The Archers and ISIHAC to get to me talking to my mate about the prices of used LP12s. That's a long way to not much.

Given modest (compared to the large server farms such companies employ) resources required, the basic task is trivial. They will have *many* devices listening to the same 'radio 4' background, so can easily correlate and reduce that, leaving the *individual* sounds from each device. SIGINT 101.

BTW They've already patented the process of listening in to whatever material you may be playing to enable media companies to check if you 'own the right' to do so. That's just one example of the ideas they've had to make money out of listening, but may not have mentioned when people bought the devices.

Easy

• Open the Alexa app on your phone.
  • Tap the menu button on the top left of the screen.
  • Select “Alexa Account.”
  • Choose “Alexa Privacy.”
  • Select “Manage how your data improves Alexa.”
  • Turn off the button next to “Help Develop New Features.”
  • Turn off the button next to your name under “Use Messages to Improve Transcriptions.”
You are now anonymous.

You can alternatively wear a tin foil hat.

Better than a tin hat would be to read the reports and documents about what they do without your knowledge, and the things they've patented or admitted when challenged by US Congress committees, etc.

advertisement

Back