advertisement

Vitus integrated amps surpass Naim 500 series?

markharro

pfm Member
Hi I have read a lot of hyperbole about the Vitus RI-101 Integrated Amplifier. Does anyone have direct experience of moving from Naim power/pre-amp kit at the 500 series level to this amp? Does it really out perform the much more expensive Naim kit?

Well I preferred the Vitus integrated to a 282/S.cap /250 or 300.
Both options can give excellent results if you like the “house sound” of the brand.
At this level, it’s really up to the individual to decide.
Along similar lines, Accuphase, as well as T+A stuff would deserve to be put on an audition list.

Well I preferred the Vitus integrated to a 282/S.cap /250 or 300.
Both options can give excellent results if you like the “house sound” of the brand.

That's really my point though - from what I read Vitus doesn't have an artificial "house" sound but is rather very truthful to the source. There are surely other parameters that are important here are there not - another thing I've read about Vitus is an apparently incredibly detailed and 3D soundstage and huge dynamics. My own experience - in oldschool Audiolab and a Naim 250 now is that a move to a beefier poweramp is significant!

Yes, I agree that to me, & compared to Naim for instance, I would describe the Vitus stuff I’ve heard as pretty neutral & without a strong tonal influence. It’s certainly built like the proverbial brick S-house with plenty of dynamics & power in reserve.
I’m not a Naim-basher, I used to own a fair bit of Naim. I decided it wasn’t right for me but equally respect that it does work superbly well for a lot of people.
A mate who is an occasional poster here also went from a mid range Naim system to a Vitus integrated & absolutely loves it.

For me yep, compared in same room and speakers against 552/500. Surpassed it by a mile. Choose was 282/300 to 500 series or vitus, the ri-101 won. Though both mine and a friends shut down into dc protection costing a few grand each. Buy with a warranty

There are Vituses and Vituses, though they're all good by repute. However, those Vitus class A jobbies are a cut above (along with the price, but comparable). I had 552/135s but eventually went over to first, valve power, then valve pre to match. However, have been reading about and discussing Vitus stuff a fair bit this year with a view to comparing quality class A to p/p valves.

I also thought about Sugden, a much more affordable alternative, but it's a bit tricky going from a fully synergistic amplification/ speaker combo to substituting one part of that chain. Besides, I've yet to read or hear of anybody who has powered ESLs (and big ones) from a Vitus. No reason to think negatively about this pairing as I'm sure it'd work but synergy is everything, i.m.o.

I found the AB reference amps to be a bit meh. Good but not all that. And I’ve heard quite a few mentions of unreliability.

I think the class A signature and master stuff is a different story and if I were buying I’d be looking at a SH SIA025 over one of the 101 reference amps.

Never sure why it frequently seems to get mentioned vs Naim. Apples and oranges, in my experience. Although I think Naim owners often get targeted by dealers looking to move them on to other stuff owing to them having gear that’s valuable and easily sold, and therefore a dream p/ex.

Well I have to keep plugging Audionet whenever Vitus amps are mentioned, as well as anything in that class. Do yourself a favour and try and and get a dem, you'll be amazed at how good they are.

I found the AB reference amps to be a bit meh. Good but not all that. And I’ve heard quite a few mentions of unreliability.

I think the class A signature and master stuff is a different story and if I were buying I’d be looking at a SH SIA025 over one of the 101 reference amps.

Never sure why it frequently seems to get mentioned vs Naim. Apples and oranges, in my experience. Although I think Naim owners often get targeted by dealers looking to move them on to other stuff owing to them having gear that’s valuable and easily sold, and therefore a dream p/ex.

Probably because Richard aka Lotus has pushed a lot of Naimee’s over to Vitus and he is very good at what he does. Naim also being one of the biggest and most established names in the business with all the history of dealers etc. Plenty of people dissatisfied with Naim out there and plenty who just fancy a change I guess.

Naim also being one of the biggest and most established names in the business ?
2018-2019 Turnover 2.9million true global giant !

Probably because Richard aka Lotus has pushed a lot of Naimee’s over to Vitus and he is very good at what he does. Naim also being one of the biggest and most established names in the business with all the history of dealers etc. Plenty of people dissatisfied with Naim out there and plenty who just fancy a change I guess.

An impression is forming from previous posts that more Vitus pieces have been sold to Naimees (including dissatisfied Naimees) than any other recognised 'manufacturer follower' group. I'd say that Naim owners probably outnumber any other similarly specific owners. I'd be surprised, looking at the price points and quality levels, if Naim owners weren't in the ascendant as a proportion of sales.

I've done the Naim thing for a generation, crossed over to thermionics for a few years and am now considering the class A s/s route. There aren't too many manufacturers that do that, and the Vitus range does cover a wide price gap.

An impression is forming from previous posts that more Vitus pieces have been sold to Naimees (including dissatisfied Naimees) than any other recognised 'manufacturer follower' group. I'd say that Naim owners probably outnumber any other similarly specific owners. I'd be surprised, looking at the price points and quality levels, if Naim owners weren't in the ascendant as a proportion of sales.

I've done the Naim thing for a generation, crossed over to thermionics for a few years and am now considering the class A s/s route. There aren't too many manufacturers that do that, and the Vitus range does cover a wide price gap.

Possibly although Richard invariably has used Naim kit for sale.

My one concern about Vitus is that I have seen rather a lot for sale on the used market, especially for a costly amplifier that won't be selling in large quantities.

Naim also being one of the biggest and most established names in the business ?
2018-2019 Turnover 2.9million true global giant !

Your decimal point is in the wrong place. Incidentally, Linn’s turnover is half that of Naim and Meridian’s is of the order of half that of Linn. Make of that what you want other than Meridian’s figures are more recent and begin to reflect the impact of Covid...

advertisement

Back