advertisement

Vinyl vs CD

Playing music that has been recorded or mixed digitally on vinyl is a complete waste. What could make a difference is to compare AAA vs. DDD

for digital recordings, if you have a decent quality neutral cd/record deck they should sound the same, every thing else being equal? My Xerxes and Audiolab 8200cdq do with the few LPs/CDs I have in both formats ( medieval/renaissance/baroque)

for digital recordings, if you have a decent quality neutral cd/record deck they should sound the same, every thing else being equal? My Xerxes and Audiolab 8200cdq do with the few LPs/CDs I have in both formats ( medieval/renaissance/baroque)
So why bother with a TT and CDP if both sound the same?
Total waste of money !

Again a reminder that pretty much all mainstream vinyl cut after the mid-1980s have had their content converted to digital and back again in the delay line in the vinyl cutting lathe.

Just for fun I looked at the measurements for vinyl gear in the "Hi-Fi News best of 2019" list that just showed up in my mail box.

Pickups: Ortofon MC Anna Diamond THD 0.5-11 %, stereo separation 35 dB, frequency response20 - 20 khz -0.4 - +2.1 dB
EMT JUbilee JSD 6 THD 0.3-17 %, stereo separation 29 dB, frequency response 20 - 20 kHz -0.3 - +5.3 dB
Turntables: TechDAS Air Force III Premium rumble -68.5 dB, Hum & Noise -53 dB
SME Synergy rumble -71 dB, Hum & Noise -60 dB
Phono preamps: EAT E-Glo Petit SNR 88.5 dB (MM) / 69 dB (MC)

Again a reminder that pretty much all mainstream vinyl cut after the mid-1980s have had their content converted to digital and back again in the delay line in the vinyl cutting lathe.
Sorry but I don't agree with the if it's digital vinyl it doesn't sound good.
I have loads of LPs that sound better than there original vinyl pressings thanks to digital technology .

Sorry but I don't agree with the if it's digital vinyl it doesn't sound good.
I have loads of LPs that sound better than there original vinyl pressings thanks to digital technology .

I didn't say the digital stage was bad in any way. :)

Not necessarily. I have a few CDs and vinyl records of the same recordings (both digital recordings), and the vinyl is streaks ahead in every area, with the exception of signal to noise. As has been said many times before, the vinyl replay process is very simple, and there is no digital processing on replay...

What do you mean by streaks ahead?

I adore vinyl. It has a unique sound I love. It’s beautiful to behold and using a record player is for me better than any Japanese tea ceremony but I don’t for one minute pretend it is better technically than digital methods of capture and reproduction given the list of limitations as long as your arm.

What is the point of this thread?

it matters little which is best since CD is now largely a dead format.

VHS vs Betamax anyone?

VHS vs Betamax anyone?
Exactly, there is no best or streaks ahead.
They both sound different.
We’re going to be told next that valves are streaks ahead of transistors.

Regardless of sound, which I agree sometimes sounds better on vinyl and sometimes better on CD. For me digital is just a lot less hastle. I dont have to spend all my time making sure everything is level and no one jumps up and down when a CD is playing etc. Maybe that's half the fun of being a hifi hobbyist but the lower hassle factor is a massive plus.

Pardon me for butting in but shouldn´t that be "streets ahead" or have things changed more while I´ve been away than I thought ?

Crikey, it's like the argument that will never die. I listen to both, sometimes CD sounds wonderful and sometimes vinyl sounds wonderful. Much of the time it's down to the pressing, recording, mastering rather than the inherent properties of the format itself. CD definitely sounds better in the car though!
Yes, just like a beer...
%2527The+Auto+Beer+Bar%2527+by+Tousey+Vintage+Advertisement.jpg

VHS vs Betamax anyone?

20 years ago vinyl was beyond dead and buried to the masses, and look at the revival the last 5 years or so......
Source and personal preference go a long way in the opinion of what is ‘best’, as does mood and age of the release. For instance my HDCD copy of Blue by Joni Mitchell through a CDS3/555ps is absolutely stunning, but my original dirty crackling vinyl copy through a Planar 3 somehow sounds more natural.....
For those like me who are committed to CD this is a golden age as everyone else ‘rips’ their collection and then either sells the original discs for pence or donates them to the local charity shop.........

advertisement

Back