advertisement

Vinyl vs CD

Playing music that has been recorded or mixed digitally on vinyl is a complete waste. What could make a difference is to compare AAA vs. DDD

Playing music that has been recorded or mixed digitally on vinyl is a complete waste.

I have never bought that argument, and never will. An analogue signal is what is embedded in an LP and that is what the stylus reads, the fact that it was recorded and mixed digitally is no different to cutting an LP from any one of numerous analogue tape variants at various tape speeds.

Never understood why people keep on comparing the two formats.
I know CD format is technically superior. But it doesn't always sound better than vinyl. That's because someone in the recording chain messed up!
Nevertheless, I still play vinyl because it is nostalgic; I sometimes like the inconvenience; I always prefer the artwork on vinyl; I like the smell of vinyl, etc, etc, etc. It is just another means of enjoying music. Who cares it is an inferior format.

Never understood why people keep on comparing the two formats.
I know CD format is technically superior. But it doesn't always sound better than vinyl. That's because someone in the recording chain messed up!
Nevertheless, I still play vinyl because it is nostalgic; I sometimes like the inconvenience; I always prefer the artwork on vinyl; I like the smell of vinyl, etc, etc, etc. It is just another means of enjoying music. Who cares it is an inferior format.

Amen to that

CD can sound fantastic, but has fallen victim of the loudness war, making many modern recordings sound poor.
IME albums recorded entirely in the analogue domain (my main interest is in classic and prog rock from the 70's) work well within the medium they were destined for, vinyl. IME they have never transferred, remastered or otherwise, well onto the CD format. For instance compare Deep Purple's 'Made in Japan's porky vinyl cut with the much sought after DCC CD remaster. The Vinyl sounds far superior.
Both Vinyl and CD have a place in my world.

Thought I had the Cd re-issue qulity thing licked. If it was done in the late eighties/nineties it was likely to be good. This based upon various purchases of various genres. Met my come-uppence when I recently bought a Chris Barber and Ken Collyer (fancied a bit of trad. after hearing on R3 Jazz Requests) Both nineties and both really dull. The Collyer is better but not by much. A Fairport and a '63 samba jazz CD were scintillating and almost as good as the records of same. Can't win all the time. Cheap Ebay prices but you just end up with CDs you don't want to hear again.

Music has been digitally recorded for literally decades. Mastering from DAT was standard by the early 90s. And of course, many recordings have been digitally remastered in that time whether or not it says on the packaging. It follows that vinyl pressed from digitally processed recordings isn't going to sound better than the source. Likewise, tapes that were originally recorded and mastered for vinyl probably won't sound better converted to digital, even with modern mastering software.

Bottom line, a good recording treated with care throughout the process, whatever process, will sound good. And a bad one won't.

Crikey, it's like the argument that will never die. I listen to both, sometimes CD sounds wonderful and sometimes vinyl sounds wonderful. Much of the time it's down to the pressing, recording, mastering rather than the inherent properties of the format itself. CD definitely sounds better in the car though!

Playing music that has been recorded or mixed digitally on vinyl is a complete waste. What could make a difference is to compare AAA vs. DDD

Not necessarily. I have a few CDs and vinyl records of the same recordings (both digital recordings), and the vinyl is streaks ahead in every area, with the exception of signal to noise. As has been said many times before, the vinyl replay process is very simple, and there is no digital processing on replay...

It is all nonsense, the two formats are not compatable & I've never held with having multiple copies of the same album. I have more CD's than Vinyl at the moment, only buy the latter 2nd hand now. Both formats can sound great, CD's are far, far cheaper.

advertisement

Back