advertisement

Vintage bookshelf speaker suggestions

I've got a really good pair of Mission 761i's I was considering selling on if you are interested - just PM me if you are....

AR18s are easy enough to drive but the re-foaming takes a couple of hours and is fiddly. Also I could only get a kit from abroad. The ones on ebay are faulty too - but if you like DIY could be worth a punt!

I've seen some Ruarks go for less than a hundred recently on eBay.

A seriously fine speaker, good looking too.

Dear All,

Might I suggest what I consider to be one of the best bookshelf speakers ever made.

The KEF R 101. When in retail I sold a few pairs of these superb speakers. They do need a bit of power from a good amp but they are truly wonderful to listen to.

I also recommend the Jim Rogers JR 149 wonderful thing.

Or try the original metal baffled KEF R 103, I had a pair of these and they are great. They also need a decent amp.

David

My suggestion, the older AR sibling.
AR7soften come up on auction sites
Re foaming is easier than you think (there are videos on you tube) and there are companies that will do it for you at a price (Wembley loudspeakers I think is one such)
The first pair you do takes a while but thereafter one gets better at the job do if you make an arseof it first time, just do it again!
These were my first speakers bought new in 1974
They still sound good. A bit like other sealed boxes they have reasonable bass but do have a very sweet midrange which is particularly good for voice.
John

Damn! Too many options here now...more options than space!
Thanks folks.. Will start with some mission and ARs I think

As an ex-employee, I feel duty bound to wave the flag for Goodmans so, here goes!

(1) Goodmans M100. Virtually identical in size and appearance to Maxim 2s (which are no slouch themselves...) but have a much nicer tweeter. My last pair, boxed and in immaculate condition, cost me £7...

(2) Goodmans Mezzo. No, not the big, brown 1970s things but the bigger brothers to the 1990s Maxim 3s. Bigger cabinet plus a 6.5" bass driver instead of the Maxims' 5" unit. They gelled beautifully with my old Quantum Electronics IA150 amplifier, so I imagine they'd work nicely with an Onix, too.

Both have rubber surrounds, too, so no foam rot to worry about.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
As an ex-employee, I feel duty bound to wave the flag for Goodmans so, here goes!

(1) Goodmans M100. Virtually identical in size and appearance to Maxim 2s (which are no slouch themselves...) but have a much nicer tweeter. My last pair, boxed and in immaculate condition, cost me £7...

(2) Goodmans Mezzo. No, not the big, brown 1970s things but the bigger brothers to the 1990s Maxim 3s. Bigger cabinet plus a 6.5" bass driver instead of the Maxims' 5" unit. They gelled beautifully with my old Quantum Electronics IA150 amplifier, so I imagine they'd work nicely with an Onix, too.

Both have rubber surrounds, too, so no foam rot to worry about.

I have the old big brown Goodmans Mezzo's - they sound amazing! Better than the Dittons (and the Dittons sound good!).

advertisement

Back