advertisement

Vintage bookshelf speaker suggestions

banjoman

pfm Member
I picked up a pair of B&W DM11 standmounts at Tonbridge on a whim as they looked in superb nick.
Have been pleasantly surprised as to how nice they sound with a simple integrated amp like the Onix OA21.

I am now getting an itch to try out more similar vintage speakers. Need to be on a budget - so not things like LS3 monitors or even Kans that seem to go for a lot of money.

Also, cant accommodate anything bigger than the DM11 - so cant be too big.

What should I keep a look out for?

Ideally something that would pair well with a vintage Sugden A21 (Mk 2) or an Onix OA21.
Especially keen on a good pairing with the Sugden.

Suggestions please?

P.S. - I already own a pair of Epos ES11s - work well with the Onix

A pair of AVI NuNeutrons will coat you about £200 or a bit less.

You'll be pushed to beat them for tinyness and superb sound.

MS20s go real cheap. Worth a try
Not sure about the AVIs. Looking for something a bit more classic and age appropriate to my Sugden and Onix amps. Also, I'd imagine something easy to drive as the Sugden does about 20-25 WPC. Thanks for the suggestion though

I use a pair of 1988 Kef 102 Reference Bookshelf speakers in my office system in a nearfield setup. They are absolutely excellent at low volumes (i.e. consistent with volumes acceptable in a workplace) but were also excellent as our main speakers years ago. I've driven them with all sorts from a NAIT1 to valve monoblocks and currently a class D DAC/AMP. Details here:

http://www.kef.com/html/gb/explore/about_kef/museum/1980s/Reference_Series_102/index.html

The speakers should come with the Kube an active low-level equaliser (I never use mine). They tend to fetch £150-300 on fleabay, although a pair sold for £90-odd recently.

Wharfdale 504, I got a mint boxed pair for £35, they honk a bit at high volume (small rear port) but sweet within limits

NAD 8020e, Acoustic Research AR18 JPW P1, JPW Sonata, Sony SS-86e, Mission 780SE, Mission 761...

All are cheap & good quality but some may need refoaming now.

Loads of options here...thanks!!
The KEF and JPWs seem very interesting. Heard a pair of tiny JPW speakers driven by a small DIY tube amp - sounded lovely

Cyrus 780's.

My first speakers and excellent they were too.

+1

I and various members of my family had 15 years of excellent service from a pair of 780 SEs. This came to the end at the pointy end of a visiting nephew's index finger. Suffice to say that all drivers were disabled effectively by the little &^£).....

Older JBL or other shocking US speakers such as Lansing - come to mind but Im a valve user so efficient over engineered speakers from the 60's feature

Definitely AR18s. My first proper speakers. Picked up a pair and re-foamed them. Now being used in one of my systems (and I'm selling ES14s!)

How long a list do you want? Videoton D100, Early Tangent minis, anything Royd, JPW minims (still use those in my kitchen). ARC 050, Mission various - most small ones pretty good, Wharfdale Diamonds...

Definitely AR18s. My first proper speakers. Picked up a pair and re-foamed them. Now being used in one of my systems (and I'm selling ES14s!)

AR18s sound intriguing.
There's a pair of AR18s on ebay now. Probably needs re-foaming. How easy is it to refoam with a kit?
Also - supposedly 86db sensitivity. Not sure if my Sugden will drive them. How easy did you find them to drive?

A pair of AVI NuNeutrons will coat you about £200 or a bit less.

You'll be pushed to beat them for tinyness and superb sound.

Beautiful speakers, pricier than MS20s but also better. Having said that the MS20s go for beer money and they are superb.

Not relevant but... I bought up some Meridian M3 and M30 a few years back on eBay. My M3s are my office system, and my M30s are the rears in my TV system. Meridian active speakers from that era are stunning even today.

Have tried a fair few and liked the lovely taut rhythmic quality to AR18s but for me they were a little too light in bass, fairly easy to fit new surrounds.

I've also enjoyed Mission/Cyrus 760 and 780 in SE form, agile and lively, good fun for rock music. I've found them to reward substantial amplification.

The pair I like best overall so far are Celef Domestic II Super. Lovely open sound and easy to drive.

advertisement

Back