advertisement

Viewing a MacBook on an iMac screen

I don't know if I have missed a point or two above as you can use the inbuilt VNC client and server that Apple call screen sharing.

Configure screen sharing on the Macbook preferences>sharing and then VNC into it from the iMac Command+K to bring up connect to server box and then type vnc://ip address of the Macbook and log in. You'll see the screen of the Macbook on the iMac. You can then if you want just use the iMac keyboard and mouse to control the Macbook.

Its quick and free to try. No?

Cheers,

DV
Thanks.
I shall report that one to her!!

I don't know if I have missed a point or two above as you can use the inbuilt VNC client and server that Apple call screen sharing.

Configure screen sharing on the Macbook preferences>sharing and then VNC into it from the iMac Command+K to bring up connect to server box and then type vnc://ip address of the Macbook and log in. You'll see the screen of the Macbook on the iMac. You can then if you want just use the iMac keyboard and mouse to control the Macbook.

Its quick and free to try. No?

Cheers,

DV
Sounds like she is simply looking to extend the desktop of her work MacBook. Most of my manufacturing clients have long since provided their employees with Windows laptops with 1 or 2 x desktop monitors connected via docking station, with or without standard keyboard and mouse attached.

I agree that Apple's take on screen sharing works a treat, as does Microsoft's free Remote Desktop Sharing app for Mac that allows connecting to Windows desktops from Mac.

BTW, shortly after having enabled 'Screen Sharing' on the MacBook, she should be able to click on 'Browse' from within the 'Connect to Server...' dialog box on the iMac (rather than looking up the MacBook IP address, etc.) and simply select the MacBook.

Sounds like she is simply looking to extend the desktop of her work MacBook. Most of my manufacturing clients have long since provided their employees with Windows laptops with 1 or 2 x desktop monitors connected via docking station, with or without standard keyboard and mouse attached.

I agree that Apple's take on screen sharing works a treat, as does Microsoft's free Remote Desktop Sharing app for Mac that allows connecting to Windows desktops from Mac.

BTW, shortly after having enabled 'Screen Sharing' on the MacBook, she should be able to click on 'Browse' from within the 'Connect to Server...' dialog box on the iMac (rather than looking up the MacBook IP address, etc.) and simply select the MacBook.
I have found that this sometimes doesn't work. You see the server icon displayed but when you click on it you then you get a 'not found' message. Using the ip address then does work.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back