advertisement

Viewing a MacBook on an iMac screen

doctorf

left footed right winger
My daughter uses a fairly new MacBook for work and has just acquired a 2015 iMac. She wants to use the iMac screen with the MacBook but can’t work out what lead to use.
I don’t do Mac and she is in Amsterdam so I can’t help her out with leads.
Can anyone advise what lead she needs?
Many thanks & Happy New Year to all.

I feel sure that once retina imacs were introduced they ditched the ability to use them just as a screen, is it retina?

It’s the other way isn’t it? You can use the iPad as a supplemental monitor for the Mac (Apple). If the Mac is able to run Big Sur I you can run iOS apps natively, though how that relates to Sidecar I don’t know.

Edit, ignore this, I misread iMac for iPad!

I’m not 100 % sure how compatible the two macs are, but the apple way to do this is via screen sharing.

system preferences - sharing

do on both computers.

I feel sure that once retina imacs were introduced they ditched the ability to use them just as a screen, is it retina?
She’s not sure!! How would she know?

I’m not 100 % sure how compatible the two macs are, but the apple way to do this is via screen sharing.

system preferences - sharing

do on both computers.
Thanks a lot. I’ll tell her.

I suspect that what she wants to do is use the iMac as a second larger monitor with the MacBook, extending the MacBook workspace via extended desktop or video mirroring modes. This is referred to as putting the 2nd computer into Target Display Mode and requires the two computers to be linked together via an appropriate cable.

Unfortunately, this only applies to iMacs introduced in 2009 through 2014, and only if running macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac that is to be used as external display.

I suspect that what she wants to do is use the iMac as a second larger monitor with the MacBook, extending the MacBook workspace via extended desktop or video mirroring modes. This is referred to as putting the 2nd computer into Target Display Mode and requires the two computers to be linked together via an appropriate cable.

Unfortunately, this only applies to iMacs introduced in 2009 through 2014, and only if running macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac that is to be used as external display.
Thank you.
Correct. She just wants to use the bigger screen of the iMac to view the laptop. It seems like a simple task, but obviously not.
I’ll tell her.

I've used previous MBPs with a decent 2k 24" monitor and it was a superb set up and I'd highly recommend that

See if you can find a good spec one 2nd hand or see what deals are available on Amazon and the likes

Unless the iMac is absolutely needed; sell that on to find an external monitor

Thanks. She does have another big screen she can use, so I suspect that is what she will do.

Thanks. She does have another big screen she can use, so I suspect that is what she will do.
She is likely to still need some advice, then, specifically about video adapters.

We will need know what generation MacBook, and whether it is 'MacBook' or 'MacBook Pro'. Also, she'll have to figure out what connector(s) her other monitor has. Depending upon how old this is, it may have VGA, DVI, VGA and DVI, possibly including HDMI (there are others, but these are common).

VGA: plug
cable-id-vga.png

DVI plug:
cable-id-dvi.png

HDMI plug:
cable-id-hdmi.png

If you need any Apple TB- video adapers, I have a few (TB->VGA, TB->DVI etc.)
Thanks a lot!
We are FaceTiming as you posted!
I think she is just going to use a big monitor with her laptop, rather than connecting it to her iMac. Thanks for the offer!
Simon

Thanks a lot!
We are FaceTiming as you posted!
I think she is just going to use a big monitor with her laptop, rather than connecting it to her iMac. Thanks for the offer!
Simon
Same difference, she'll be needing a particular adapter either way.

I don't know if I have missed a point or two above as you can use the inbuilt VNC client and server that Apple call screen sharing.

Configure screen sharing on the Macbook preferences>sharing and then VNC into it from the iMac Command+K to bring up connect to server box and then type vnc://ip address of the Macbook and log in. You'll see the screen of the Macbook on the iMac. You can then if you want just use the iMac keyboard and mouse to control the Macbook.

Its quick and free to try. No?

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back