advertisement

Vexed by Valves

Hi thank you , what is Balanced and Matched , ? do i need to buy that type, or will any do in a phono stage ,

A double triode like 6922 has 2 separate halves. Balanced means that the 2 halves are equally strong. Matched is usually used of single output valves like EL34 or EL84. In a push-pull amp there are four of these valves, and matched means they are tested as being equally strong.

Balanced is desirable when one half of the valve is doing the left channel and the other half the right channel. Without going into detail, there are other ways a double triode can be used which may be less critical. Without seeing the circuit it's hard to advise other than that "quite well balanced" is desirable. No need to be fanatical - valves just need to be fairly close.

A double triode like 6922 has 2 separate halves. Balanced means that the 2 halves are equally strong. Matched is usually used of single output valves like EL34 or EL84. In a push-pull amp there are four of these valves, and matched means they are tested as being equally strong.

Balanced is desirable when one half of the valve is doing the left channel and the other half the right channel. Without going into detail, there are other ways a double triode can be used which may be less critical. Without seeing the circuit it's hard to advise other than that "quite well balanced" is desirable. No need to be fanatical - valves just need to be fairly close.
Thank you i will go and look to see what is about , and what the cost will be , it has JJ valves in at this moment e88cc but they are just not detailed as i was expecting , i will look for some ecc88 mini watt,

advertisement

Back