advertisement

Vet Fees

I believe strongly in a free market, but monopolies need controlling, or else you end up with cartels.

our new vet, about 2 minutes away is a group called Village Vet. Village Vet group is owned by Linnaeus group which is also massive. Globally Linnaeus is owned by Mars Vetinary Health (of the Mars group of companies of Mars bar fame) there is big money in vets and pet food.

there is also Mars Petcare, just scroll down this page to see who they own

https://www.mars.com/made-by-mars/petcare

Our old vet was an independent and the owner then sold the practice but the name stayed the same, so it wasn’t an obvious change of ownership. On looking up the new owners of the vets, they had assets of over £50m. The surgery became progressively worse and after a few close calls we left, only to find our new vets are also owned by Pets at Home!! I think the practice is run by vets who are franchisees, but I suspect their charges are enforced by their owners. Certainly their drug prices are crazy.

Our old vet was an independent and the owner then sold the practice but the name stayed the same, so it wasn’t an obvious change of ownership. On looking up the new owners of the vets, they had assets of over £50m. The surgery became progressively worse and after a few close calls we left, only to find our new vets are also owned by Pets at Home!! I think the practice is run by vets who are franchisees, but I suspect their charges are enforced by their owners. Certainly their drug prices are crazy.

My vet still has its former name above the door but has been owned by a large chain for at least 2 years and has escalated its fees. It's clear, despite yesterday's conjecture, that this is a a big issue.

These stories sound just like US healthcare. Private equity and for profit hospitals buy up independent practices then collude with insurers to charge astronomical fees to anyone who does not pay the insurance “protection money”.

The only solution is price regulation. You’d better hope that the folks making the big money are not also Tory donors.

Vets do seem to be a real minefield - it's all too easy to exploit owners who want to do the right thing by the animals in their care.

We started using the Royal Veterinary College animal hospital when we lived in Camden because it offers an alternative to commercial vets. We've thankfully not had to deal with any major health problems but have been really happy with them - so much so that our domestic goddess Hana still catches the train up from South London for check-ups.

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-vet/general-practice

We're also lucky to have locally a Celia Hammond practice who do brilliant work and that I'm very happy to support.

https://www.celiahammond.org/index.php/2015-02-02-18-07-31/2015-02-02-18-08-18

The majority of independents have been bought out and retain their old name for the practice. I’ve two friends who both sold their small chain including a large hospital for an enormous amount of money. He and his wife retired. He explained that he made a healthy living. However, this was too good to be true. He couldn’t open a new practice locally, so hit the lecture circuit in the US. He then bought a small rural practice in North Yorks and drives there a few days a week. It doesn’t stop him treating animals in Durham where he was prevented opening up. He hopefully wants to expand to Northumberland. He laughs at the obscene costs that these multinationals are charging. He can charge a fraction and still make the same profit. Most of the money goes to finance the purchase and shareholders. He’s convinced it will crash or insurance charges will explode.
I personally still use a local independent 15 mikes away. Their prices are a fraction of some of the large chains and often don’t get charged for a quick check. At the moment!

These stories sound just like US healthcare. Private equity and for profit hospitals buy up independent practices then collude with insurers to charge astronomical fees to anyone who does not pay the insurance “protection money”.

The only solution is price regulation. You’d better hope that the folks making the big money are not also Tory donors.
That’s exactly what I wrote in The Times article comment section

Just wrote to my MP about this. Won't be winning any literary prizes but just on the off chance it's useful for anyone to use as a quick form letter. Only takes two mins.

Dear ,

I'm writing to you today to draw your attention to the alarming rise in vets fees and pet insurance. This is an unregulated industry which is increasingly operated by large companies buying up smaller practices and setting high fee structures. Worried pet owners naturally wanting to do the right thing for their ill animal are vulnerable and deserve some form of protection against exploitative pricing.

Will you please sign this petition calling for a regulatory body to be set up to monitor vets fees?

https://www.change.org/p/rcvs-royal...op-the-relentless-increase-in-veterinary-fees

Anything you can do to raise awareness of this issue with your colleagues in the house is very much appreciated.

Sincerely and with thanks,

Since beginning this petition, I have been sent a lot of information and cases confirming that this issue runs deep. independent vet practices are being swallowed up by private equity companies and much larger firms. A large number are buying multiple surgeries within a small geographical area, thus taking away the prospect of competitive pricing. There is an article, this week, in the Sunday times, containing allegations about the control of pet drug supplies and, naturally, there are allegations about the involvement of the insurance companies. All simply says to me that there needs to be a regulatory body. Please sign and share the petition if you think this is an issue; I will be approaching my local MP, next week. Some people have already sent my petition to their MP as they have discovered concerns in their areas since the petition went live.

http://chng.it/wk6gfTJxjL

James Heappey MP House of Commons London
SW1A 0AA
Dear James,
The Rt Hon the Lord Goldsmith of Richmond Park
Minister of State
Your ref: JH29540 Our ref: MC2021/14013/SK
16 June 2021
Thank you for your letter of 26 May to the Secretary of State on behalf of your constituent, Mr Peter Drew of 4 Quantock View, Clyce Road, Highbridge, about the rise in vet fees and pet insurance. I am replying as the Minister responsible for this policy area.
I appreciate the concerns raised by your constituent. I would like to clarify that all fees set by veterinary surgeons are a private matter between individual practices and their clients and neither the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) the UK regulator of the veterinary profession, nor Defra, has the power to intervene in the level of fees that are charged. Similarly, the cost of pet insurance is something that neither Defra nor RCVS have the power to intervene in.
Further information about vet fees can be found in the RCVS’ Code of Conduct for veterinary surgeons, which is available on their website via the following link:
https://www.rc v s.org.uk /setting-sta ndar ds/ adv ic e-an d-gu id anc e/c ode- of -prof essi ona l-
c onduc t-f or-v eterinary -surgeons/supp ortin g-gu id anc e/pr ac tic e-inf orm atio n-an d-f ees/
In paragraphs 9.5 -9.8 (fees), you will note that all fees set by veterinary surgeons are at the discretion of individual practices and, as a result, they may vary between one practice and another. In addition, 9.27-9.29 (prescriptions) states that veterinary surgeons may make a reasonable charge for prescriptions and that clients have the option to request a prescription from another veterinary surgeon or pharmacy if they so wish.
However, if after having discussed this matter with his veterinary practice your constituent remains unsatisfied, he can relay his concerns to the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) by contacting them at the following address:
CMA
Victoria House, Southampton Row, London
WC1B 4AD
Further information about the CMA’s work can also be found via the following link:
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/competition-and-markets-author ity
DEFRA, Seacole Building, 2 Marsham Street, London, SW1P 4DF www.gov.uk/defra | +44 (0) 3459 335577
www.gov.uk/sustainabledevelopmentgoals

Thank you once again for your letter.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance with this or any other matters in the future.
With best wishes,
THE RT HON THE LORD GOLDSMITH OF RICHMOND PARK

James Heappey MP House of Commons London
SW1A 0AA
Dear James,
The Rt Hon the Lord Goldsmith of Richmond Park
Minister of State
Your ref: JH29540 Our ref: MC2021/14013/SK
16 June 2021
Thank you for your letter of 26 May to the Secretary of State on behalf of your constituent, Mr Peter Drew of 4 Quantock View, Clyce Road, Highbridge, about the rise in vet fees and pet insurance. I am replying as the Minister responsible for this policy area.
I appreciate the concerns raised by your constituent. I would like to clarify that all fees set by veterinary surgeons are a private matter between individual practices and their clients and neither the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) the UK regulator of the veterinary profession, nor Defra, has the power to intervene in the level of fees that are charged. Similarly, the cost of pet insurance is something that neither Defra nor RCVS have the power to intervene in.
Further information about vet fees can be found in the RCVS’ Code of Conduct for veterinary surgeons, which is available on their website via the following link:
https://www.rc v s.org.uk /setting-sta ndar ds/ adv ic e-an d-gu id anc e/c ode- of -prof essi ona l-
c onduc t-f or-v eterinary -surgeons/supp ortin g-gu id anc e/pr ac tic e-inf orm atio n-an d-f ees/
In paragraphs 9.5 -9.8 (fees), you will note that all fees set by veterinary surgeons are at the discretion of individual practices and, as a result, they may vary between one practice and another. In addition, 9.27-9.29 (prescriptions) states that veterinary surgeons may make a reasonable charge for prescriptions and that clients have the option to request a prescription from another veterinary surgeon or pharmacy if they so wish.
However, if after having discussed this matter with his veterinary practice your constituent remains unsatisfied, he can relay his concerns to the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) by contacting them at the following address:
CMA
Victoria House, Southampton Row, London
WC1B 4AD
Further information about the CMA’s work can also be found via the following link:
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/competition-and-markets-author ity
DEFRA, Seacole Building, 2 Marsham Street, London, SW1P 4DF www.gov.uk/defra | +44 (0) 3459 335577
www.gov.uk/sustainabledevelopmentgoals

Thank you once again for your letter.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance with this or any other matters in the future.
With best wishes,
THE RT HON THE LORD GOLDSMITH OF RICHMOND PARK

Thank you.

MP Letter:

In your constituency, and across the nation, independent vet practices are being bought out by national chains and by venture capitalists. Though the name above the door may remain, this is having a dramatic effect on vet fees and pet insurance costs, with many families deciding that they cannot afford to have their pet treated, or plunging themselves into debt to do the right thing. As a nation of animal lovers, it cannot be right that there is no regulatory body supervising the industry with a code of practice regarding fees and charges.

A short time ago, I began a petition, the link to which is below:

http://chng.it/BqrQFx7L

On a personal note, I recently was charged more than £900 for an X-ray and anti-inflammatory medication for my dog by MediVet, in Aigburth, a charge that the vet apologised for, informing me that her company set the fee but that the same treatment, in Spain, would have been approximately £100. MediVet has taken over several independent practices in the South Liverpool area but maintains the existing signage for the formerly independent businesses. Similarly, the cost of my pet insurance has risen by 600% in the last four years as an inevitable cost of the soaring vet fees, though there are also allegations of collusion between vet practice and insurers emerging. A number of people have since approached me with specific examples in their area.

Since starting the petition, the issue has been raised in the national press:

Calls for inquiry as equity vultures snap up vets amid rising bills and welfare fears | Daily Mail Online

Vets charge three times as much as online chemists for pet remedies | News | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

I would be very grateful if you could raise this as an urgent matter where the nation appears to be falling victim to unregulated big business and I am happy to discuss the issue further or provide additional support.

Best regards,

My two Jackahuahaus just had a dental.
When we first got them as rescues they needed a lot of dental work, lots of plaque
Previous vet charged around £1300 from memory for removing a total of around 18 teeth out

Current vet just took out a total of 14 teeth
£240

My two Jackahuahaus just had a dental.
When we first got them as rescues they needed a lot of dental work, lots of plaque
Previous vet charged around £1300 from memory for removing a total of around 18 teeth out

Current vet just took out a total of 14 teeth
£240

Such variation is exactly why a code of practice is needed.

advertisement

Back