advertisement

Very pleased with this... :)

RichShortland

pfm Member
I've been keeping myself sane during the lockdown by playing with the idea of a DIY Well Tempered Amadeus tonearm, to go on my modified Lenco GL75.

There's a thread here in the DIY section of the planning and building the proof-of-concept prototype.

I was sufficiently encouraged by the mock up to build a proper one, and it has definitely been worth it.
It's by FAR the best tonearm I've had on this deck, seeing off a modified RB250, Linn Akito and recently a Roksan Nima. The separation and the space around instruments and voices is stunning. I do also think there's more to come with some tweaking.

Any of you who are also motorcyclists may recognise some of the parts... The majority of the armboard is built from some alloy rearset footrests and a polyurethane crash bung off an old race bike, plus a bit of bling carbon sheet. I quite like that there's more than one of my hobbies in this project. The arm wand is a carbon/alloy arrow tube and the counterweight is the original Lenco.

Here's the end result:

IMG-1590.jpg

IMG-1593.jpg

IMG-1591.jpg

IMG-1592.jpg

and the first go:

IMG-1562.jpg

Love it! WT arms tend to work better with just a small amount of silicone in the 'golf ball bath'; might be worth experimenting with.
Yes - this is fairly light weight stuff (I couldn't find out anywhere what viscosity the proper WT stuff is...?) so I've used a decent amount. It probably needs more damping tbh.

Yes - this is fairly light weight stuff (I couldn't find out anywhere what viscosity the proper WT stuff is...?) so I've used a decent amount. It probably needs more damping tbh.
The WT stuff is pretty thick and gloopy but I have no idea what its viscosity is. Thinking about how it behaves its probably significantly more viscous than hypoid 90 gear oil.

I love that, really like the look of the TT. Always fancied an older deck like that.
These Lencos are a really accessible deck to have a play with. Nowhere near the financial commitment of something like a Garrard for example. Mine sounds superb but took a lot of tweaking to get there. It has an upgraded main bearing which is also braced from below and there was also a lot of trial and error in getting the plinth right, but worth it :)

advertisement

Back