advertisement

Very pleased with this... :)

That crash bung was a bit pristine. Not trying hard enough! :D I damaged mine dropping the bike in the garage. :rolleyes:
Haha yes this one is perfect... there is a box in the garage full of ones that aren’t though!! I never fell off on the road, but if you don’t have a few tumbles on track, then you’re not trying hard enough

These Lencos are a really accessible deck to have a play with. Nowhere near the financial commitment of something like a Garrard for example. Mine sounds superb but took a lot of tweaking to get there. It has an upgraded main bearing which is also braced from below and there was also a lot of trial and error in getting the plinth right, but worth it :)
I am not a tinkerer so prefer an off the shelf solution, really like the look of these big old decks. How do they compare to Garrards?

I am not a tinkerer so prefer an off the shelf solution, really like the look of these big old decks. How do they compare to Garrards?
I feel they stand up well to comparisons with Garrards or similar idler drive decks like some Thorens. Ultimately a 401/301 or 124 is going to be better, all things being equal, but they all need careful servicing and setting up, plus decent plinths and arms. Once sorted though, they are fairly low maintenance, apart from servicing, but they are never going to be completely fit and forget like a Rega or similar for example.

If you really want to dig into what the Lenco's can do, take a look at Lenco Heaven https://www.lencoheaven.net/
Masses of info and inspiration in there... :)

The arm-tube on the actual WT arm is filled with some grade of sand - if you've not tried that it's maybe worth a go?
Yeah, I thought I read that somewhere... could be interesting. Will certainly add damping to the armtube but also change the mass quite a bit...

Upcycling is good and in my experience the easiest way to generating a cosmetically appealing object if this is important. A case in point in your case is the footpeg used as an arm rest, which looks great, compared to the nut and bolt arrangement suspending the arm that looks...erm...functional. If I were you and I wanted to tart up this arm, and I would, because it's a great piece of engineering, I'd make some measurements and a sketch and, when all this virus aggro is resolved, have a trawl of the housewares section of your local large supermarket, Ikea and the like. I'll put money on there being a gloop pot of the right size that currently thinks it's a candle holder or a ramekin dish. Likewise your arm hanger may be a pen holder, length of copper pipe, or similar object. My Garrard plinth is 2 Ikea chopping boards, a drawer front, a hoover pipe and some threaded bar and brass. It stands on 3 Aldi door stops. Total cost under £100 and because most of it is from manufactured items my own ineptitude with hand tools doesn't show up too much.

Upcycling is good and in my experience the easiest way to generating a cosmetically appealing object if this is important. A case in point in your case is the footpeg used as an arm rest, which looks great, compared to the nut and bolt arrangement suspending the arm that looks...erm...functional. If I were you and I wanted to tart up this arm, and I would, because it's a great piece of engineering, I'd make some measurements and a sketch and, when all this virus aggro is resolved, have a trawl of the housewares section of your local large supermarket, Ikea and the like. I'll put money on there being a gloop pot of the right size that currently thinks it's a candle holder or a ramekin dish. Likewise your arm hanger may be a pen holder, length of copper pipe, or similar object. My Garrard plinth is 2 Ikea chopping boards, a drawer front, a hoover pipe and some threaded bar and brass. It stands on 3 Aldi door stops. Total cost under £100 and because most of it is from manufactured items my own ineptitude with hand tools doesn't show up too much.

Hi Steve, agreed - the arm pillar is the area I could improve/tidy most. I'll see what else I have kicking about. I've definitely got more of the 20mm OD ally tube that I used originally.
I've done well with IKEA before - I used chopping boards for a plinth for a 401, with four hardwood pillars (containing squashballs like a design by Loricraft) made from what they sold as egg cups...

I used chopping boards for a plinth for a 401, with four hardwood pillars (containing squashballs like a design by Loricraft) made from what they sold as egg cups...
Pretty much what my WT is standing on; squash balls in plastic tubes. I know WT turntables get some stick for their simplicity and slightly slung together look but there must be some serious thought behind them as they work so well. My main gripe is not so much what they cost but that they charge so much when they are made by Opera Audio in China which is a bit naughty but, hey, they sound good.

Hi Steve, agreed - the arm pillar is the area I could improve/tidy most. I'll see what else I have kicking about. I've definitely got more of the 20mm OD ally tube that I used originally.
I've done well with IKEA before - I used chopping boards for a plinth for a 401, with four hardwood pillars (containing squashballs like a design by Loricraft) made from what they sold as egg cups...
My 401 plinth is Ikea chopping board based too! It's the big one, about 70cm x 50, with a lip that I had to cut off, and all made from hardwood blocks about 25mm or 30mm sq. I'd be going hardwood for the arm suspension post too, or possibly a composite with 8mm copper microbore for the crossbar and hardwood upright drilled 8mm (obvs) to take the copper pipe. Rubber O rings could retain the monofilament hanger, as could turned down and drilled nuts. You can do that on an electric drill and a grinder if you don't have a lathe. I also have a chromed bar, threaded one end, that came from a cafetiere and is in the spares box, I'd be eyeing that covetously too. Have fun building.

Isn't this what Bill Firebaugh does anyway utilising parts already available.
It's what engineers do. All engineers start with a parts catalogue and make their design fit the parts that are readily available. That's why the Vauxhall Vectra has an identical rear disc and handbrake arrangement to the Cavalier, I know, having serviced them both. It was a great piece of design when they developed it in 1989, the same parts from the same suppliers did just as good a job 15 years later. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw it on some Vauxhall-Opel saloon 10 years from now. I'm pretty sure it found its way onto the GM-era Saab too, and why not? It's the old Henry Ford saw about any fool can make a car for $10,000, but it takes an engineer to make one that works for $1,000.

My 401 plinth is Ikea chopping board based too! It's the big one, about 70cm x 50, with a lip that I had to cut off, and all made from hardwood blocks about 25mm or 30mm sq. I'd be going hardwood for the arm suspension post too, or possibly a composite with 8mm copper microbore for the crossbar and hardwood upright drilled 8mm (obvs) to take the copper pipe. Rubber O rings could retain the monofilament hanger, as could turned down and drilled nuts. You can do that on an electric drill and a grinder if you don't have a lathe. I also have a chromed bar, threaded one end, that came from a cafetiere and is in the spares box, I'd be eyeing that covetously too. Have fun building.

We happen to have one of those chopping blocks in use in the kitchen!.. I know it well.
I do have some nice hardwood that I could create another upright / pillar option... I'd still use the base but I could change all the top bit to see if that makes a difference. The previous version I made (which was mdf/wood based) was a touch more forgiving of set-up, although the final one I made definitely sounds better when properly dialed in.

What did you do to the platter? It looks like it's double thickness - have you emulated a Thorens 124?
Hi, it's what is called in Lenco-land a 'stacked platter'. It's basically one platter on top of the other, with an extended spindle adapter to line them up and also mean you have a spindle poking out of the top :)
Works very well at creating a very speed stable patter and the bearing is more than capable of managing the extra weight...

advertisement

Back