advertisement

Very near to the wall speaker recommendations

I guess most of us are in trouble with wives / girl friends / partners for all sorts of reasons, the appearance of hifi being just one.

I'm sorry but I don't get it. I've got friends who are genuinely terrified of their wives and I don't get it. One has his stereo in the shed because his wife won't allow it in the house. He's makes all sorts of excuses that it's really his choice but good grief man, grow a pair. It's pathetic. It's like a Bear cowering from a Chihuahua.

I have Larsen 6 speakers firing from the long wall in my 11" x 14" listening room, they work very well. The speakers work best as close to the wall as you can get them but the distance between the speakers is crucial to optimising the sound. I have mine closer together than recommended by Larsen.
I have used them with Naim amplifiers in the past and they paired well together.

the larsens i have heard have sounded superb. that would be my first choice in the ops situation

I've never heard of Larsen, they look quite like Shahenian speakers which I like. That Larsen 6 looks odd though? I don't know why they didn't put a box-shaped grille over the whole cut-out section, the little triangle grille looks like a bad bodge.

I've never heard of Larsen, they look quite like Shahenian speakers which I like. That Larsen 6 looks odd though? I don't know why they didn't put a box-shaped grille over the whole cut-out section, the little triangle grille looks like a bad bodge.
I like the Triangle bit! It makes them look a bit different to normal speakers!

I've never heard of Larsen, they look quite like Shahenian speakers which I like. ..

Derived from Sonab and Carlsson speakers which were Swedish made and rather popular in Scandinavia during 70's-80's.

I've heard OA52 back in the 90's, they performed great while beeing allmost "invisible" due to little height.

Later Larsen design follow that concept working up against wall and corners, however you need to be comfortable with omnidirectional performance.

My lounge is about the dimensions in the original post. I have Ruark Crusader II and they are fantastic with only about 15cm behind them. They are fantastic speakers and have the midrange dome dynaudio driver which was also used for years by ATC. If you're after a floorstander they are very good indeed.

(Another story is at some point I will be selling them, but I am waiting for my Electrocompaniet Amp/Dac/Streamer to sell first, which is listed on the forums here and I am stunned it hasn't sold for a current model with an amazing reputation).

I'm sorry but I don't get it. I've got friends who are genuinely terrified of their wives and I don't get it. One has his stereo in the shed because his wife won't allow it in the house. He's makes all sorts of excuses that it's really his choice but good grief man, grow a pair. It's pathetic. It's like a Bear cowering from a Chihuahua.
I’m not doubting that’s true but given we want to relax and listen to our music I bet there are a fair few cases where they know the dislike or moodiness that ensues feels like grief and means they just don’t bother trying to listen in peace.

Kralk Audio BC-30s are just like Kans in size and sound, maybe just not as feral. They're out of production but fit the bill for sure.

Kralk have been reborn under a new name Alchris Audio. Maybe they have something similar.

Great suggestion for the BC30's, they are fabulous speakers and I have seen them come up for sale. If you contact Alchris he may make you up a pair.
Never heard the Larson's but everything I've read would say they were suitable and there is also the Neat Iota Alpha.

I’m not doubting that’s true but given we want to relax and listen to our music I bet there are a fair few cases where they know the dislike or moodiness that ensues feels like grief and means they just don’t bother trying to listen in peace.

But you have to let that develop. You have to let your wife or girlfriend dominate you over a period of years to arrive at this point.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be compromise and debate, in a healthy relationship it's inevitable and I don't think the man should dominate, but it's just as bad if it's the other way around. Men giving up on things they want, perfectly reasonable things, for the sake of a quiet life.

SBL and Tannoy/ Fyne seem obvious choices if the amplification is up to it.

Given how tiny they are, Neat Iota Alphas with 15cm+ free behind them may well win for great sound and being visually unobtrusive. They don’t look as if they can fill the room and really satisfy the ears, but they can.

I have Larsen 6 speakers firing from the long wall in my 11" x 14" listening room, they work very well. The speakers work best as close to the wall as you can get them but the distance between the speakers is crucial to optimising the sound. I have mine closer together than recommended by Larsen.
I have used them with Naim amplifiers in the past and they paired well together.
Can I ask how close together you have them? And am I right in thinking they don’t like corners?

Can I ask how close together you have them? And am I right in thinking they don’t like corners?
5 feet, I can't recall whether they are OK with corners.
WWh2TFYl.jpg

Thank you all for your input , much appreciated . Its not the Kan look the wife dislikes its the stands , if the kans work well i will look at alternative stands .
As an aside this will not be my only system as one of the bedrooms is being turned into a music room 12x12ft with a sofa bed, so actually my wife is being very accommodating regards the hifi and i must stress she also likes a decent sound ( music taste differs greatly , hers i wouldn't call music but each to their own) so two decent systems needed . I am fortunate to have 2 decent turntables and cd players plus Tablette 10 and spendor sr35/2 of which one is earmarked for the music room and the other will be sold as neither are sounding their best firing across the narrow room . I have had Shahinian Arcs in the previous house and they worked extremely well when firing down the length of an open plan lounge/middle room but sounded awful firing across the 12 ft width in that property , so i am familiar with omnidirectional sound and did enjoy it , hence the interest in the Larsens . I personally love the look of the Kralk bc30 and Kans . Sorry for the ramblings

I bought Tannoys specifically for this reason. Now I've moved and got them out a bit more but it doesn't seem to affect much tbh

Its not the Kan look the wife dislikes its the stands , if the Kans work well I will look at alternative stands.

What about using some grille or other type of cloth to make stocking to cover the legs of the Kan stands? You could tone them in with the room? It's very rare to see Kans on other stands as apparently they don't sound right.

I've never tried it but I always thought that Kans and a good sub might work really well. I had Saras in my shed and used a sub because you weren't getting the right bass reinforcement out of them. Worked great.

Kralk Audio BC-30s and Kans will fit on these Sound Org. wall brackets perfectly :)

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back