advertisement

Very near to the wall speaker recommendations

baitrunner

pfm Member
Having moved house lounge is 18ft x 10ft . Speakers need to reside on long wall whilst we will be seated opposite . Was thinking Larsen speakers would be ideal . I have various amplification to utilize including Chrome bumper Naim, Nva mono's and a Unison Research Nuevo . Thoughts and suggestions would be welcome .

Yeah, vintage Linn. Ten foot is pretty narrow though. A lot of speakers will struggle. A friend has Fyne F502sps across the room like that and it just doesn't work in my opinion. Kans will. Saras and Isobariks, probably but I wouldn't like to put money on it.

Why is the long way a no go?

Kralk Audio BC-30s are just like Kans in size and sound, maybe just not as feral. They're out of production but fit the bill for sure.

Kralk have been reborn under a new name Alchris Audio. Maybe they have something similar.

Longways impossible due to patio drs leading to conservatory one end and other end is walkway between hallway and master bedroom so no alternatives to positioning .
I have Linn kans late Mk1 with Mk2 stands but wife hates the look which is why Sarahs wont cut it either but i intend to try them . Have previously owned SBL and couldn't get them to gel in previous house despite fitting new tweeters and recapping crossovers, always had an uncomfortable edge to the sound so sold, though i might revisit as room is different . Kralk suggestion is interesting .Anybody have thoughts on the Larsen suggestion

Try Ophidian Mojo 2’s or Mambo floorstanders. Can work close to room boundaries and do a lot of what old skool Linn speakers did

In my view Larsens will work well firing across your room. Ideally try at home first to make sure you like what they do. I have the 8s (but don't rule out the 4s or 6s) and the closer to the wall you can get them the better they sound - particularly stage depth.

At that distance, some original Rogers ls3/5a would be lovely, even better with some valves. Mine sing on the end of a Leben amplifier. What type of music do you listen to, and how big a consideration is your partners preference/rules?

There are spendor s3/5r2 and falcon ls35a in the classifieds here. Other than that, proac tab 10, guru junior, Alchris ar6 possibly (front ported). Maybe downward ported floorstanders an option as well.

Linn Kan, Sara
Naim IBL, SBL
JPW Gold Monitors
Rogers LS4A, LS3/5A
Royd Minstrel

depending on how much you want to spend.

Tannoys of course!

BTW, the position should only affect the bass level, and plenty of active speakers have a half space setting which drops the bass -6db to compensate for room position. You can also do this in room correction software if you have something suitable.

Kralk suggestion is interesting

If you're wife isn't having Kans the Kralk and LS3/5as are out as they look exactly the same. The SBLs are a good shout as they look lovely but I'm not a fan of the sound. If you can't get Kans past her I doubt she'd put up with Isobariks. I'd say you're in trouble.

If you're wife isn't having Kans the Kralk and LS3/5as are out as they look exactly the same. The SBLs are a good shout as they look lovely but I'm not a fan of the sound. If you can't get Kans past her I doubt she'd put up with Isobariks. I'd say you're in trouble.

I guess most of us are in trouble with wives / girl friends / partners for all sorts of reasons, the appearance of hifi being just one.

I speak for myself of course...

The other contention is of course the cost...

Here any second purchase hand helps, or maybe best answer is to be content with what we (me - turning one letter upsidedown makes a big change in context) have at present.

advertisement

Back