advertisement

Verve Acoustic Sounds Series Reissues

Wow! This Alice Coltrane reissue of Journey In Satchidananda is superb. The AS of ‘Karma’ was good, but from the opening bars of Tulsi’s droning tamboura and the incredibly low reaching Cecil McBee drone like bass playing Ryan K Smith’s mastering is a step further up. Then Alice’s harp and the percussion and bells simply seem to fill my room with sound while Pharoah Sanders Soprano remain loud and clear, but mor grounded and much further back in the sound stage. I may not actually be “floating on an ocean of Satchidananda’ or “reaching the highest point in the universe” but it almost feels like I’m floating somewhere. Superb playing by all, but I’d pick out especially Cecil McBee who’s playing really suits this music.

The last track ‘Isis and Orisis’ recorded the the Village Gate a few months earlier sounds quite a bit different with a bit more of a sense of the recording space and somewhat more conventional sound stage, but it still sounds excellent. This is probably the best sounding AS Verve so far. Totally flat and and an absolutely quiet pressing even in the dead wax even when played at high volume which I suggest you do. Totally essential.

Mr Britt on the SH forum AS verve thread speculates on the right time of day to listen to this kind of spiritual music (jazz) and there is possibly something in this and perhaps early evening is the right time for Journey In Satchidananda? Although perhaps a day with the sun setting may be better than a rainy evening.

I remember going to a BBC prom at the Albert Hall of Indian Raga’s many years ago and generally these Raga’s should be played a a certain time of day. The concert ran from 10pm at night till 6.00am in the morning with breaks between the Raga’s and these were played at the appropriate time of night. The was something about this that really seemed to work.

Turned up today in Amazon’s terrifying ‘it’s just a bloody paper bag!’ mailer, though again their in-house logistics saved them. No corner dings! Playing side one now, very good indeed. Pleased I bought this one. Some albums are worth proper money, and this and Karma are certainly two of them. I’m growing tired of Tone Poets though, I’m only in for very special ones from now on.

I remember going to a BBC prom at the Albert Hall of Indian Raga’s many years ago and generally these Raga’s should be played a a certain time of day. The concert ran from 10pm at night till 6.00am in the morning with breaks between the Raga’s and these were played at the appropriate time of night.

Wowsa! It's been many years since I was at an event that ended at 6am Jim! ;-)

Wowsa! It's been many years since I was at an event that ended at 6am Jim! ;-)
Paul, it was so long ago I couldn’t remember the date, but I have just found it. 28th August 1981 and it started at 11pm not 10pm and ran till 7.00am, but I was probably queuing well before 10pm. I must have been promenading as do remember sitting on the floor near the front and not having a seat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e3d9rz

Turned up today in Amazon’s terrifying ‘it’s just a bloody paper bag!’ mailer, though again their in-house logistics saved them. No corner dings! Playing side one now, very good indeed. Pleased I bought this one. Some albums are worth proper money, and this and Karma are certainly two of them. I’m growing tired of Tone Poets though, I’m only in for very special ones from now on.
Mine was just in a paper bag as well this time. Survived with just a hint of a ding on one corner, but a totally unacceptable way to package records so I hope they don’t continue like this. I’ll post a complaint with regard to my delivery.

It is odd as the last record I got from them, Floyd’s live DSOTM, which cost half as much (£16) got the full card mailer inside an enormous box treatment. The way I look at it they pay for their errors. If a record arrives with cover damage they get it back. The returns are so simple there is no end-user risk at all. It is just annoying from an environmental perspective.

PS I think this is the second time I’ve had the ‘it’s a bloody paper bag!’ mailer, and I’m pretty sure both times were on a ‘delivered today by 7:00pm’ Prime order. Maybe those are considered lighter delivery rounds?

I have only two like this as well, but the ones that arrive just in a large box with just a bit of paper are equally annoying and prone to damage, although luckily all mine have been OK. Again from an environmental stand point this is very wasteful with or without a mailer when a good quality mailer is all that is needed.

the incredibly low reaching Cecil McBee drone like bass playing

Cecil McBee became one of my all time bass heroes because of Satchidananda. The long bowed note at the end of Shiva Loka always sends me to a kind of nirvana, without fail.

In expectation of the AS pressing arriving tomorrow I was just listening to Isis and Osiris, thinking of the blueprint that Pharoah set for Evan Parker's circular breathing soprano. And now I'm listening to AC/DC's 'Powerage'. If you think that's a bit of a leap, I'd recommend catching more of Joe McPhee's sets at Cafe Oto (insert wink emoji).

906590-B3-7582-4-AB0-8-D27-D745-A75-B4093.jpg

I’m passing as I have 1st April 1877 originals of most of these and I always prefer the Original Brown Wax versions.

906590-B3-7582-4-AB0-8-D27-D745-A75-B4093.jpg

I’m passing as I have 1st April 1877 originals of most of these and I always prefer the Original Brown Wax versions.

Confession time - I’ve never actually heard a wax cylinder. The closest thing I have is a vinyl transfer of Korean Kayagum recordings from the early C20th. Besides, not sure those wonderful Reid Miles covers would look good on the cylinder.

Confession time - I’ve never actually heard a wax cylinder. The closest thing I have is a vinyl transfer of Korean Kayagum recordings from the early C20th. Besides, not sure those wonderful Reid Miles covers would look good on the cylinder.

I've only heard digitisations of wax cylinders. Though I do have this Billy Childish 7" featuring a b-side recorded on wax cylinder.

I actually really like the designs on old wax cylinder tubes. I've considered buying the odd one when I've seen them in antiques shops.

advertisement

Back