advertisement

Verum 1 headphones

per-Sony-fied

Me in another jacket
I was watching a Youtube video a few days ago & a few phones were being listened to in a shoot out test where said person doesn't normally listen to headphones & according to the reviewer did not know the price of any of them.

In the shoot out a pair of Verum1 & a pair of Sennheiser HD600 were being compared & the Sennheiser were not rated very highly in comparison to the Verum 1.

So as I did not know the price of some of the phones either I decided to check a few pairs out & then found out unexpectantly given the high praise they were given how little they cost. So out of interest has anybody got any experience of these?

It was the HD6XX that was tested here, not the HD600. The HD6XX is the Massdrop version of the HD650. The HD650, to my ears, is a slightly softer, thicker, mushier, veiled version of the HD600. I'm pretty sure Danny would've preferred listening to the HD600, though likely still not as much as the planars he auditioned.

Here's Ron's perspective on these 5 headphones:

FWIW - IMO it was a pretty pointless exercise driving the planars with a 300B tube amp. Planars are typically low-impedance and current hungry so it's very unlikely that a tube amp with high output impedance would be a suitable match for them!

And I believe the Verum is quite unigue in being an 8 ohm headphone (ASR review show flat 6.6 ohm).

Heard a lot through the years about the owner/maker Igor being difficult to get in touch with and he has been banned several times on forums for crass language/opinions. Also drivers dropping out which you don't want if the owner is out-of-touch and you've waited 6 months or more on your order. And now with the whole situation in Ukraine. Would love to hear a good pair though.

Saw a pretty much unused pair sold on eBay recently. That would've been a nice safe bet. Shame at the time I knew nowt about them.

So tempted to buy a pair but since the factory is located in Kharkov which is so close to all the on going trouble right now, one wonders what the future holds.

I have noticed that pad design seems one of the biggest contributors to sound with even slight changes making large reported differences. Measurements seem to confirm this but perhaps not as much as the reported subjective opinions.

We all have different sized, shaped ears so it stands to reason that we perceive headphones differently. After all, someone with very large ears will likely fill a headphone pad/cup much more than someone with tiny lugs.

Just been told 6-8 weeks. Looking to buy a suitable valve headphone amp now .....didn't know there was so much to headphones !

I have a pair - see the other thread - as well as a set of Sennheiser 6XX and they're in a different league. Absolutely amazing vfm.

I have just replaced the cable with a longer Custom Cans version (£95 for 2.5m) and performance has improved. They took an age to arrive, not unexpected given what has been going on over there, but communication has been informative and cordial. Profits are donated to the defence effort so I'm happy to have invested.

Reactions: RoA
i ordered my Verums on 23rd June, and received an email yesterday, 10th August, to say they have now been shipped. This should take around 2 weeks. I will post again once they arrive and I have had a chance to check the out.

The Verum's arrived yesterday. Well packaged in a plain cardboard box. No duty had to be paid because the stated item value on the box was $50. All goods good on initial inspection.

Initial listening it sounded a bit congested and harsh playing on a mojo2/poly. However after around 7 hours burn-in, the sound opened up nicely and continues to improve.
I am sure partly because my ears are getting used to the sound. Its now been about 19 hours of burn-in and moving to the Hugo2/togo the sound is even better.

I will continue with the burn-in and as i get used to the sound, i am sure it will continue to improve.

I will do a comparison with my Audioquest Nighthawke carbon's and modified Senn 580s in a few days. so far, so good.

The Verum's arrived yesterday. Well packaged in a plain cardboard box. No duty had to be paid because the stated item value on the box was $50. All goods good on initial inspection.

I will do a comparison with my Audioquest Nighthawke carbon's and modified Senn 580s in a few days. so far, so good.
Great news! Please do a comparison with the Nighthawks. I compared these to the Audeze LCD-X this weekend at CanJam & came away finding the Nighthawks more to my liking with better bass definition (by a fair margin) & a open airy sound where the Audeze couldn't really match.

advertisement

Back