advertisement

Verum 1 headphones

Hopefully you’ll enjoy them- what will you be driving them with?
Currently a Mojo 2 via Tidal & Qobuz. For the want of trying them out with different sources I also have a Mojo & a Fostex HPA4 which I don't think either are as good as the Mojo 2.

May also later on try them through a cassette deck & SACD player to see how they fair although these would not be the main listening equipment.

After allowing some time for burn-in I finally had a chance to compare my new pair of Verum One Mk2's against Audioquest Nighthwke Carbons.
The Verums are my first pair of Magnetic Planer headphones,I had to take some time in finding the best adjustments on the headband for comfort. Once this was found, they became comfortable to wear and did create good seal that noticeably imporved the impressive bass responce.

Using Mojo2&Poly combination.
Nighthawkes sound very good in this pairing. Soundtage is wide and voices are clear and well centred.
Verum's did not sound as wide, the sound-stage is smaller and more intimate. Bass-weight is more apparent compared to the Nightkawkes, and as such create a greater sense of drama in the music with fast percussive music. Voices sometimes sounded as they had a little grain, not quite as clear. I really wanted the Verums to sound better than the nighthakes, but my own conclusions had to concede that with the Mojo2/poly, the nightkawkes were the better pairing. Better soundstage, instrument seperation and vocal clarity, more air and more enjoyable to listen to.

Using Hugo2&To-go
This time the tables were turned. The Verum's ability to scale with the equipment was suprising. The Verums now sounded clearer, more natural with a decent soundstage. The Bass-wight was even more impressive, voices were very clear and voice inflections became far more noticable. It was hard to beleive that these were the same head-phones i had tried with the Mojo2.

The Nighthawkes did sound a littlel better with the Hugo2/To-go combination, but could not match the sonic leap of the Verums.

My conclusions
To my ears the Verums are a high quality set of headphones, and paring with better gear brings out the best in them.
If you already have good quality gear, then the Verum's are a true audiophile bargin at less than £300, punching well above their weight in price/quality terms. I feel that i am not loosing out on sound quality cmpared to other sub £1000 headphones that I have previously tried. A friend of mine has recently purchased a pair of Hifiman Arya Organics, i am tempted to try a side by side comparison, but whilst the Aryas's may sound slightly better, the Verum's at £1000 less are still gvining me a state of audio bliss that keeps me listening to music well into the night.

If you already have a Mojo2 and a pair of Nighthawkes, then the Verum's will not give you a sonic jump, unless you have other alternative higher quality gear in your line-up.

There are already many reviews online about the Verum Ones, and to my ears, i can confirm that they do live up to the hype. They are a true audiophile bargin and are easy to drive, but their true talents are unlocked with high quality equipment.

Could it be the unusually low 8ohm resistance of the Verum that causes some of the difference? I don't know how most HP amps fare at 8ohm (not something they disclose in the specifications) but overall the Hugo2 has more grunt than the Mojo2. Just a thought. I know that some Dan Clark cans at 13ohms are considered current hungry.

There’s some discussion online about suitable amps, indeed one of the (very many) attractions of the Verums, to me, was that the Naim Headline - specifically a cheaper DIY clone - was seen as an ideal partner and I already had one. Great combination.

I agree that the low resistance of the Verum's do play a major part in the suitability of partnering equipment. As such, i may be wrong in suggesting that it needs higher quality gear to sound its best. System matching is the key, in my setup the Hugo2/to-go is definately well matched to the Verums. I know others have found that the Naim Headline (or clones) to also be a great match.

I haven't heard the Verums, but am interested. I think there are a lot of headphones in the sub £300-£400 price range that punch well above their weight and compare very well with more expensive items.

I think you are right Gethyn. Verums are almost impossible to adudition before you purchase because of their direct to consumer model and the manufacturerer is not based in the UK. This leads to leap of faith to some extent if you want to get your hands on a pair.

Before ordering the Verums, I was actually looking at the Meze 109 pros and even higher priced ones like the Audeze LCDX and Hifiman Arya. I treat being an audiophile as my hobby. As such I enjoy the journey, and look for the 'WOW' moments along the way. I prefer incremental steps as opposed to purchasing the highest priced gear I can afford. Verums are my first magnetic plainar headphones and I have definately experienced some 'wow' moments with the Verums, even after listening to a friends Hifimans Arya Organics for a few weeks. I appreciate that for me , an incemental holistic approach is my prefrance and living with gear for some time before embarking on the next step. Since purchasing my Verums, I have purchased, aftermarket cables, and i am on a Black Friday three month promotional subscripion of ROON. Using the upsampling feature in Roon has improved the sound quaity, as did the upgrading to the cables. Roon has enabled me to make delving into my library and to discovering more music a joy. I am sure this also impacts my enjoyment of music.

Like many on this forum, I like the process of extensively reading reviews of equipment and then auditioning a short list. I dont always get it right, that is part of the learning process. Its about having fun and trying new things, according to the budgets you want to utilize.

In the end, its about your 'ears', and enjoying the journey of discovery. As you know, Headphones are only one peice of the jigsaw to acheiving musical bliss.

Penty of headphone models around, its a playground, enjoy!

Firstly a Mojo 2 & the original Mojo drive these headphones with no problem. I think they sound fantastic. I'm really pleased with them. I managed to grab a Mk1 pair from a PFM member (new - unopened) for £160. They compare very favorably with a a pair of Audioquest Nighthawk using the Nighthawk headphone cable. The cable that it comes with tends to make the bass to strong, heavy & bloated. It impedes all the good things it is capable of & shows with the Nighthawk cable.

Personally I find it difficult to keep them off my head.

advertisement

Back