advertisement

Verging on vegetarianism, by accident.

My guess is that venison would only equate to a tiny proportion of the amount of beef consumed here?
This is the case. The same goes for rabbits, pigeons, etc. They are plentiful enough and you can live on them, but if 60M people did they would be in short supply soon enough. I can't see many people would object to eating a wild caught rabbit. One minute it's lolloping along, minding its own business, the next, bang, done. It doesn't know whether it's just met a fox or a bullet. It's not being wasted, and I am sure that we could kill as many rabbits as we could find and they woukd still be plentiful.

The same applies in the sea. Apparently the N Atlantic is now filling up with Japanese Spider Crabs, they are non-native and invasive. Delicious too, apparently, the Japanese love them. However we can't catch them as there is no quota for them. Meanwhile we have to limit cod and haddock catches to allow the population to remain stable. It's about time we persuaded more people to eat pollack, whiting, and other unloved UK native fish.

Post Brexit wasteland the Gammon will chomp their way through all the remaining livestock, childrens' ponies, road kill and picked off all the rabbits. The TV will be full of helpful cookery programmes on how best to prep and serve the remaining delicacies of rat, badger etc with lunch snacks of spiced fried insects and wasp soup and so on.

It won't even matter whether this fits with some twits self derived definition/ categorisation of what people eat, it will just be a big shock to proud obnoxious carnivores across the land :p

It won't even matter whether this fits with some twits self derived definition/ categorisation of what people eat, it will just be a big shock to proud obnoxious carnivores across the land :p

It’s not a self derived definition to say that someone who eats meat is not a vegetarian, it’s common sense. Your resort to abuse does nothing but undermine any argument you might have.

Likewise with your self derived definition/categorisation of anyone who does eat meat as being obnoxious.

It’s not a self derived definition to say that someone who eats meat is not a vegetarian, it’s common sense. Your resort to abuse does nothing but undermine any argument you might have.

Likewise with your self derived definition/categorisation of anyone who does eat meat as being obnoxious.

Epic sense of humour failure!

Post Brexit wasteland the Gammon will chomp their way through all the remaining livestock, childrens' ponies, road kill and picked off all the rabbits. The TV will be full of helpful cookery programmes on how best to prep and serve the remaining delicacies of rat, badger etc with lunch snacks of spiced fried insects and wasp soup and so on.

Might make cooking programmes watchable

how to stop complaining about being 'made' to be vegetarian:

1. Take 3 Garlic cloves, crush and finely chop. Set aside.
2.Open 1 tin of chopped italian tomatoes. Aldi have the best, but, to taste.
3.Empty tin into container, add juice of 1/3 lemon, good pinch of salt and lots and lots of black pepper, fresh ground. Set aside.
4.Get lidded frying pan on high heat with lots of decent olive oil. Ok, maybe 3 tablespoons of stuff that's greenish.
5.When the oil is good and hot, add the garlic and swill round for 30 odd seconds until it just starts to take a golden colour. Don't burn it!
6.Add the tomato mix. Stir about and bring back to the boil.
7. Turn off the heat, cover the pan and leave for 1 hour.
8.after 45 mins or so cook 75g of pasta of choice (fresh if you can).When it's near cooked, uncover and re-heat the sauce.
9 Drain pasta and add sauce to it. Stir about a bit and put on warm plates.
Oh...a decent Italian wine is a must and a bit of fresh parmisan grated on is ok.
notes,a drizzle of flavoursome oil after serving, and lots more garlic added if you can take it, the fuller and more savoury rich the taste.

And/or, buy a cook book by Ottolenghi.

:)
Wifey is veg. I am not, but by above recipe and etc I survive fine.
Tonight however, it's a large Aldi beef and ale pie with chips and valpolicella.

Life is shit, but we must try to make the best of it.

Tinned chopped tomatoes?

Fine if you are happy eating cores.

Aldi’s are among the worst.

Tinned chopped tomatoes?

Fine if you are happy eating cores.

Aldi’s are among the worst.

Listen grumpy ass...that was just an attempt at being lighthearted and offering a suggestion that actually works for those of us not normally found in london's elite eateries.
I haven't actually done a PhD in tinned tomato analysis. Aldi's are lovely to us, but what do I know.

I ought to buy a selection of tinned toms and do a comparison. I don't have a refractometer at home with which to test sugar content, which is a shame.

well someone should! Get on it man. I used a panel of expert judges, me, the dog and the old girl I live with. We have, between us, 127 years of tomato eating experience, but I guess sometimes, 127 is just not enough.

how to stop complaining about being 'made' to be vegetarian:

1. Take 3 Garlic cloves, crush and finely chop. Set aside.
2.Open 1 tin of chopped italian tomatoes. Aldi have the best, but, to taste.
3.Empty tin into container, add juice of 1/3 lemon, good pinch of salt and lots and lots of black pepper, fresh ground. Set aside.
4.Get lidded frying pan on high heat with lots of decent olive oil. Ok, maybe 3 tablespoons of stuff that's greenish.
5.When the oil is good and hot, add the garlic and swill round for 30 odd seconds until it just starts to take a golden colour. Don't burn it!
6.Add the tomato mix. Stir about and bring back to the boil.
7. Turn off the heat, cover the pan and leave for 1 hour.
8.after 45 mins or so cook 75g of pasta of choice (fresh if you can).When it's near cooked, uncover and re-heat the sauce.
9 Drain pasta and add sauce to it. Stir about a bit and put on warm plates.
Oh...a decent Italian wine is a must and a bit of fresh parmisan grated on is ok.
notes,a drizzle of flavoursome oil after serving, and lots more garlic added if you can take it, the fuller and more savoury rich the taste.

And/or, buy a cook book by Ottolenghi.

:)
Wifey is veg. I am not, but by above recipe and etc I survive fine.
Tonight however, it's a large Aldi beef and ale pie with chips and valpolicella.

Life is shit, but we must try to make the best of it.

I’d eat that pasta dish, thanks, Rocky :)

My old Italian housekeeper - brilliant cook - used to say “use passata not tinned tomatoes, careful not to overheat the olive oil, add the al dente pasta to the sauce and just let it stand for a minute or so before serving” (it’s amazing how much liquid the pasta will absorb from the sauce in such a short time, so plan accordingly).

Life in Italy can be wonderful.

In all seriousness, I got the recipe from a local (scots) lady who was brought up in Sienna. But every Italian mum you ask, laughs at your effort. Only SHE (ofc) knows how to do it properly:)
I'll eat yours tho, just to be fair:)

advertisement

Back