advertisement

Verging on vegetarianism, by accident.

Most supermarkets stock it,

have you evidence of most?

Cos none round here have it. Occasionally, if you are lucky, Waitrose will have some, but it isn't what I would call fresh.

Certainly not fresh enough for a tartar or light searing which is what I would want.

There was a recent tv programme comparing “fresh” fish from supermarkets and fishmongers.

The results were horrifying.

The food scientist conducting the test said he only bought frozen fish now because of the appalling state of of fish retail.

I don’t buy “fresh” now, but I would if I lived near the coast and could access the local markets where the fish are landed.

Yes. Just eat animals that eat grass. What about bogies? what do they count as?

Hugh Feersome-Whittingthing wrote a very interesting "Meat" book which as well as having recipes, gives some history about meat-eating and why we should regard the consumption of the dead flesh of animal corpses as a luxury. He also makes the point that if you kill an animal without causing it suffering, it tastes better.

The only way of killing an animal without causing it suffering is to creep up on it in a field with a bolt gun.

Do you think they don’t know what awaits them as they approach the abbatoir?

The only way of killing an animal without causing it suffering is to creep up on it in a field with a bolt gun.

Do you think they don’t know what awaits them as they approach the abbatoir?
I know they don't. I've worked in abattoirs, if pigs feel any fear their meat isn't fit to eat. Look up PSE pork.

I gave up meat in the early 90s but when in Australia a few years on from that and saying I was a veggie I often got the reply, 'so you eat chicken then?'

Weird. You're not from the land down under are you Joe?

I'm from Birkenhead. Actually, my parents were thinking about emigrating to New Zealand around the time I was born, had got all the paperwork done etc, but at the last minute my mother decided she couldn't live so far from her mother, sisters and brother, and they stayed put.

There was a recent tv programme comparing “fresh” fish from supermarkets and fishmongers.
The food scientist conducting the test said he only bought frozen fish now because of the appalling state of of fish retail.
Frozen is a mixed bag. Plenty of meat and fish retailers I have worked with freeze the end of life stuff that they can no longer knock out to fresh retail. The reason is that if I sell fresh fish in a supermarket I have to sticker it UB delivery plus, say, 4 days. If I freeze the stuff I have no such concerns as it gets defrosted and cooked same day. This is especially true in catering. They fish out what they need and either cook it from frozen or chuck it on the side for a couple of hours and then off they go. You are therefore free to use stuff that won't keep another 4 days.

I'm from Birkenhead. Actually, my parents were thinking about emigrating to New Zealand around the time I was born, had got all the paperwork done etc, but at the last minute my mother decided she couldn't live so far from her mother, sisters and brother, and they stayed put.

same here strangely (although I am a Londoner) but in my case my father, his mother and brother

After a conversation with a farmer acquaintance yesterday I started to think more about the position of eating less meat for the sake of the environment. A position I wholeheartedly agree with by the way, I just don’t feel comfortably calling it vegetarianism.

My farmer friend was telling me about the glut of deer at the moment, they’re overrun with the things and can’t keep the numbers down with the usual culling methods. I asked why, if that’s the case, is venison so expensive, and the answer is that we just don’t eat it here, the vast majority of venison is exported to France.

What happens after Brexit?

If we started eating venison and stopped eating beef, that would solve both the environmental issues of beef production and the over population of deer.

It seems to me that if the environment is our primary concern, we should stop eating beef and start eating as much venison as possible.

advertisement

Back