advertisement

VBE BUILD THREAD

Hi Torstoi
I didnt take one after I connected the VBE but I do have one before, below.

20120508_141437_zpslo4s0noi.jpg

regards
Norm

Hi Norm,

A very interesting interpretation of the topic & an amazing build !

Sorry for the late reply, but I got taken off into thoughts of:

"what if.." and "or could I.." and got lost into the depth of build reviews

straight after seing your pictures.. :)

Thanks for sharing your 'Mission Impossible NCC200+' by fitting the whole lot into

shoebox size, very inspiring and no question a top notch clean layout! :)

Regards, T

Originally Posted by LesW:

Once one or two members have completed the build, I'm going
to show you something quite extraordinarily spectacular to lift
the performance to a level you wouldn't believe possible - more
later.

Come on Les, time to spill the beans.....

Hi Torstoi
Thanks for the kind remarks on my build. Sorry for my delay in saying thanks. Been having some treatment in hospital hence the delay.

It wasnt difficult fitting it all in, but height of the transformers was a bit more of a problem than I thought it would be, where as basic fitting space was not.

Also the two seperate alloy boxes provide a magnetic shield to a certain extent.

regards
Norman

Hi Norm

it's still a superb build and for a first time effort.

Totally amazing.

Originally Posted by LesW:

''Once one or two members have completed the build, I'm going
later''.

''Once one or two members have completed the build, I'm going
later''.

It’s almost here.:)

When I last visited Avondale towers to collect the boards components for the NCC200 GB Les asked me to try the prototype VBE add on (yet to be named) that he’s been working on.

It’s still pretty much a work in progress so patience will be rewarded.

This is an easy to install, plug and play unit so nothing challenging (just as well in my case) or complex.

It’s also a completely new approach to solid state design which you’re unlikely to find used else ware. Now that did get me interested.

It’s easy to plug in and out so my comparisons have been done with the same tracks with the upgrade module in and out of circuit.

No pictures or explanations of VBE add on for now but maybe Les will illuminate us further in time.:cool:

So

IMHO, TO MY EARS AND IN MY SETUP.:)

Now that the NCC GB is all but over I’ve had the chance to do a little more undisturbed listening and I must say that I’ve been more than impressed with what I’ve heard.

Firstly

From switch on this add on does sound better once it’s had a little time to warm up but 20mins or so usually does it. A little more patience may be needed from cold.

Secondly

The big news for me is that IMHO they have made quite some difference to the sound but without losing the musicality of the Voyager.

It just builds on and improves a very good amp:cool:

I’ve made a few notes over the last few weeks of listening and tried to outline what I’ve heard.

1) Dynamic contrast is way better with much more control (that start stop to notes is much more defined. I found that this gave the drums and ride cymbal on Buddy Rich ‘’the beat goes on’’ the chance to really drive the music on. I also noticed that the PRAT factor has been enhanced and it’s going to be interesting to hear what those NAIM boys make of the sound.

2) Soundstage. Well it’s now huge in a floor to ceiling and out past the wall boundaries and much better depth type of way.

3) Fine detail retrieval seems to have improved quite a bit as has the solidity of the sound stage with imaging to have taken on much more real dimensions. I’m also hearing more of the finer detail making the micro stuff much clearer and easier to hear.

4) The noise floor also seems to be lower allowing for that inky blackness that everyone talks about but seldom gets.

5) It’s more revealing of source material and components further up the chain. I tried my Buffalo 3, Opus and Audio GD NFB2 and it was quite easy to tell them apart.

To some up.

Top and bottom are tight and well controlled with no sagginess in the bass which also seems to go a little deeper to my ears. The mids have taken on an even more liquid character with Loads of fine detail but still maintaining the musical presentation of the Voyager (which really matters IMHO).
I really got turned off of solid state amps sometime in the mid 90’s when detail became the new god at the expense of musical cohesion IMHO. Loads of detail but no content if you get my drift.

This Upgrade resolutely manages to avoid the above and keeps music centre stage.

Quite some achievement with such a simple to implement (but not in original thought) upgrade.

Oh yes on the time factor.

These do take a little time to settle so IMHO at least two weeks are needed to make a proper assessment.

I really love the sound of my Voyagers so no criticism intended but the new VBE add on really does take things to another level of dynamics coupled with refinement.

The real iron fist in a velvet glove.

Les really has come up with the goods with this one and it’s still early days yet with still more refinements to be made.

But the prototype that I’ve tried has been very good indeed and has indeed made my jaw drop on more than one occasion.

Every good boy deserves fudge.:D

Anyhow back to the dreaded metal work.:(

The new Voyager is taking shape.

Looks like your gonna have another group buy on your hands time to stock up on cling film ��
Geoff

Excellent write up Shaun;)
Think I will contact Les For a set of them to try, sounds like e big upgrade :)

Alan

A little bit late to the party only just started on these found everything else. apart from
Wima MKP2 330nf where do I get them from as the link in the bom no longer works
what voltage should they be most that I have seen on here are 250v I can only find them @63v
sorry for the stupid question
thanks in advance

Did I miss something? I'm sure Les teased us with a mention of a tweak to these boards but I can't for the life of me remember seeing it. Did the details ever emerge?

In over a year very few people have posted about there builds. Maybe Les would be more forthcoming if more folks posted. Just a thought.

Just a quick pic to show that things are still in progress.

Next job is to remove and unpick the wiring loom and copy it for the other side.

Can you not get the individual wire lengths for the next by matching one wire at a time, from current loom, without unpicking? Just slightly oversize and trim. Seems like a lot of work otherwise, unless the loom has spade connectors throughout.

advertisement

Back