advertisement

VBE BUILD THREAD

Hi all, finally built my boards and tested, all good around 53.3v with no load.

Got my transformers from the very helpful Terry at Canterbury windings and they look really well made and where silent on test. They have a green yellow striped screen wire, where do I attach this? Case mains earth? Never had one with this before.

Just got to squeeze it all into a case now.

Kind regards

Jim

Have hit a problem testing one of my VBE boards. Input voltage is around 70v. I'm using 30v zeners and on the positive channel I'm getting an output of 58.3v but on the negative channel output is around 68v. I'm thinking maybe check the zeners first but is there anything else I should be checking?

No. Zeners were the right way round and anyway now replaced and still output voltage equals input voltage. 2N5401s replaced and still no go. TIP42 and MJ15004 are next

No. Zeners were the right way round and anyway now replaced and still output voltage equals input voltage. 2N5401s replaced and still no go. TIP42 and MJ15004 are next
Don't forget that they should be the other way round for the neg supply, I did once launch a 10uF cap at the kitchen ceiling by forgetting that! :eek:

Pete

I've checked it three times and then three times more. They're definitely the right way round (probably)

Tim I had R1 fail short giving me full rail voltage at the output
Have you checked all the resistors ?

Alan

Hi Shoom suggested I post my VBE build pics so as its the first time I have done that, I hope it works.

I put my VBE in a Naim Shoebox case and ran an ubilical cord to my existing NC200 also in shoeboxes. I used a locking plug/socket arrangement which had a very low resistance connection at the VBE end. At the NC200 end the cables were soldered directly onto the existing TP pins and routed out via a simple bush after of course removing those diodes everyone forgets about.

Those of you that saw my previous question about the protection circuit will notice I decided not to put that in the path of my speakers. Lets hope I dont live to regret it.

Inside The Box

20150720_131136_zpsjaxn19lq.jpg

Outside the boxes

20150804_141507_zpsd2p6lwyu.jpg

I am pleased to say it sounds brill.

Cant wait for the NCC200 v1.4 build to start now.

I am just a beginner, so apologies to all for the stupid questions I will be asking in the future.

Norm

Norm, any beginner that can put a VBE PSU together as tidily as that should no longer consider themselves a beginner. I see you've even gone with EI transformers as per LesW. Did you get them from LesW?

It looks great and I'm not surprised your pleased with the sound.

Yes that’s a first time build.:)

Totally amaizing and a real lesson in good layout and tidy wiring.

Quite a bit of work but the effort really does pay off in the sound.

Great work Norm.:cool:

you're a natural.

Norm, any beginner that can put a VBE PSU together as tidily as that should no longer consider themselves a beginner. I see you've even gone with EI transformers as per LesW. Did you get them from LesW?

It looks great and I'm not surprised your pleased with the sound.
Hi grazie
Transformers were from RS 22gbp each inc vat. Dimensions were understated as they excluded the actual frame. So had to cut part of the frame away to get them to fit in the case. Silent as the grave and no hint of a buzz, but not as well constructed as Les's trannies.

Pleased you liked my first effort. Im just amazed it all works.

Norm

Very nice and interesting built, norm..congrats !

Could we possibly get an open hood picture of the second box..? :)

Very nice and interesting built, norm..congrats !

Could we possibly get an open hood picture of the second box..? :)
Hi Torstoi
I didnt take one after I connected the VBE but I do have one before, below.

I will be replacing the existing Avondale psu with the Cap 6 as part of the new build and the NC200 with the new NCC200 v1.4. Although the existing psu is quite phenominal as are all Les's psu's.

The only difference before/after is a gromet in the back with the three wires coming in and then being soldered to the NC200 board and the central earth wire to the psu.

Not quite as tidy as the VBE but it will be when I get the new build done.

20120508_141437_zpslo4s0noi.jpg

regards
Norm

advertisement

Back