advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget, a referendum on EU membership was in the Tory manifesto in 2015. Helping enable a tory majority in that election was a vote for the referendum to happen, opening the door to where we are today.

Labour opposed an EU referendum during the 2015 election campaign. By the time the bill was presented to Parliament they had changed their minds, and over 200 Labour MPs voted with the government in favour of holding a referendum (2nd reading). Turnout at the 3rd reading was significantly reduced but those Labour MPs who showed up voted again with the government, bar 1.

"The prime minister proposes to hold this referendum as a political tactic... and that is why there is so much suspicion already, not just among opponents of Europe but among those who are proponents of Europe."

That’s the kind of thing the leader of the opposition should have been saying at the time, but these were the words of Alex Salmond.

Whatever Labour’s current stance, claiming they somehow bear no responsibility for where we are now is not supported by the facts. It’s easy to be wise after the event.

And from the Times
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F231457fc-f1d8-11e9-ba44-aad5db5172e7.jpg

Bullingdon Club multi-millionaire from birth Boris Johnson just described the EU as being led by ‘elites’!

You really couldn’t make this crap up. Straight out of the Trump/Farage/Cummings copybook. All of them ordinary working class fellas who have the interest of the people at heart.

I could vomit. Why do people fall for this bullshit?

So after months of telling us all that a vote for anyone other than Labour was enabling Brexit, now the Labour Party is going to slip Boris’s bill through on the nod (I might change my opinion on that if those who vote in favour face proper sanctions, withdrawal of the whip, expulsion from the party etc). Otherwise everything I have come to suspect about the Magic Grandad being a Lexity crock of crud will be confirmed.

Exactly. The Labour Party appears to be broken.
Is it worth pointing out that the rebels are all, bar one, your old bunch?

It am here https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/consolidated_withdrawal_agreement.pdf

It's the same as the earlier Withdrawal Agreement except for the bit about Northern Ireland.

Had this been May's deal, the ERG and Co would have declared it an act of surrender and an annexation of Northern Ireland. Had Johnson then changed it for May's original deal, the ERG and Co would have declared that a big win for Johnson.

Brexit is now a great British farce.
It’s a cunning stunt of a deal. The entire design was to secure the take over of the Tory Party by a right wing Nationalist tendency and they’ve pulled it off. Now the inevitable damage will follow.

Couldn’t agree more. Last night Stephen Barclay was asked as to why the economic impact analysis of the deal on the UK had not been published and he replied that it had only been 2 days since the deal was struck.... yet today parliament is expected to vote on it when a lot of them won’t have seen the detail and/or had time to analyse it. The biggest political decision in decades is being made by people with little knowledge of what it really means. You could not make this up! It’s a disgrace and embarrassing frankly,
I doubt any politician voting for this deal will have not read it in it's entirety & scrutinised every detail though many rejecting it, as Corbyn did yesterday before being handed a copy, will not have. I would imagine, as with many who oppose Brexit & were looking for closer relationship with the EU, the highlights of this deal will have them running for cover which is why I will be surprised if it passes through parliament.

That is true Brian, but only the Labour party can stop it or they can play a major part in enabling a Boris government majority.
Quite- the spectacle of Labour MPs enabling the most right wing government in a lifetime that will take a flamethrower to employment rights, the GFA and the public sector, is utterly sickening.

“Labour’s Pat McFadden says PM is promising Tory MPs the deregulated future they dream off while promising opposition MPs a road to better workers’ rights, interests Johnson rubbished while a journalist. Both cannot be true”.

Quite- the spectacle of Labour MPs enabling the most right wing government in a lifetime that will take a flamethrower to employment rights, the GFA and the public sector, is utterly sickening.

“Labour’s Pat McFadden says PM is promising Tory MPs the deregulated future they dream off while promising opposition MPs a road to better workers’ rights, interests Johnson rubbished while a journalist. Both cannot be true”.

Pat's intevention was the most illuminating so far, but as he was calm and precise the coverage will be minimal.

I doubt any politician voting for this deal will have not read it in it's entirety & scrutinised every detail though many rejecting it, as Corbyn did yesterday before being handed a copy, will not have. I would imagine, as with many who oppose Brexit & were looking for closer relationship with the EU, the highlights of this deal will have them running for cover which is why I will be surprised if it passes through parliament.

Good and I don’t share your optimism about them having read it and understood it. Frankly if I was an MP I’d be voting it down as there is no way I could get a grip of the full ramifications with a simple reading of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back