advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what you would like is some kind of closer union and harmonisation between the countries of Europe.

Oh....

Yes, and you know which way that would go - we would be compelled to adopt the German system. At least it would give bloody accountants even more to smile about.

Yes, and you know which way that would go - we would be compelled to adopt the German system. At least it would give bloody accountants even more to smile about.

Is this the 21st Century version of "We will all be speaking German if it was not for us"?

So what you would like is some kind of closer union and harmonisation between the countries of Europe.

Oh....
Had given up on this thread but richgilb's post lite the spark again! All the thousands of posts on this thread and what is clear is closer engagement is what is needed. The reason Rich is being fleeced by German accountants is the Tory party of leadership do not care about business hence they don't bother trying to improve that situation. They are just trying to protect their cayman island offshore lolly.

Had given up on this thread but richgilb's post lite the spark again! All the thousands of posts on this thread and what is clear is closer engagement is what is needed. The reason Rich is being fleeced by German accountants is the Tory party of leadership do not care about business hence they don't bother trying to improve that situation. They are just trying to protect their cayman island offshore lolly.

How could they improve that particular situation. Do tell.

Well, this has traditionally been the sort of area where UK ‘soft power’ has won the day. Discussions and influence in working groups behind the scenes, to ensure the dafter or less workable options don’t see the light of day.

of course, once we’ve left, all that influence goes, even if we ultimately take up a Norway+ style solution eventually.

Eh lobby get engaged, drive change. It is very clear Moggy,Blowjo, Davis only get engaged in bullshxt rhetoric. Boring detail flies over their head. You would expect that if you are getting a salary of £250k for writing a drivel column. Have you any ideas other than going back to the middle ages when you were colonial and great??

To digress a friend of mine nicely captured the working class english man yesterday at a funeral. They will follow blindly whatever dictate comes from the toffs. Again this is what a lot of people have said on this thread over and over again.

Advice: when in a hole, stop digging.

I have lived and worked in Germany and have nothing but admiration and fondness for the good folk of this proud and industrious nation.
Some of your best friends are German, we know. And black. And Scottish. And racist. Just for balance, eh?

I nearly went bust here when I arrived. I don't speak German so they were doing my VAT and my accounts...total annual cost on a first year turnover of 100,000 euros was 16,000 euros to the accountant. That left nothing in the kitty.

The stitch up occurs because nobody outside Germany is allowed to stamp accounts or VAT returns. This is not the case in UK. The accounting industry does not have such protectionist regulations. My vat return was costing 1000 per month on sales of less than 10,000. Consequently, I have had to mothball the German company and trade through a UK company, as foreign accountants are permitted to submit my VAT return in Germany, and an online company in London does it for 120 euros per month. Sales here are now up to 400,000 but I can still not afford a German accountant to do the VAT or the accounts. 10,000 could be saved if I could do the VAT myself. But they demand virtually a full set of accounts with each return. I simply don't have the time even after I have the language skills

I now spend about 1500 euros per year on German VAT returns and my UK chartered accountant charges £300 to check and submit my accounts to Companies House.

That must very frustrating for you Rich. And for many others I'm sure.

So, basically, in the spirit of European unity and as one of its central tenets of social and commercial integratration, German accountancy exercises a self-serving closed shop protectionist racket in order to ratchet up their own profits via bureacratic red tape that needlessly cost 'foreign' traders time and money. Have I got that right?

And, call me a cynic if you want, but the assumption that the UK can change this mindset is somewhat presumptuous and maybe a little naive. Maybe we can, but there is always going to be a 'trade-off', probably in more ways than one. Assuming of course, we end up remaining in the EU.

A proper single market in services, including accountancy services?

You've got to be living in fantasy land. The Germans have got it all nicely stiched up, and they're not going to let it go. Cost of limited company incorporation in the UK? £1. To transfer a Ltd Company an get the equivalent GmbH in Germany you'll have to stump up €25k upfront, and commission an expensive notary whose fees are based on that €25k. Then you have those compulsory monthly accountancy fees that Rich mentioned. To insure your company you won't be able to use your existing insurance with Aviva or Legal & General, you will have to pay four times as much for the German equivalent. And so it goes on.

Even under May's withdrawal 'deal' (which was written in Brussels) we would still be compelled to obey EU VAT laws for 5 years even if a FTA is drawn up within that timeframe.

The EU is, and has always been, a Franco-German stitch-up, and they made sure that it was thoroughly stitched up on their terms before they allowed us to join the EEC in 1972.

Definitely. And to achieve that I propose we dismantle it and start again.

You think Britain leaving will dismantle the EU? All that’s doing is sh!tting where you eat.

Typical brexiter overestimating the influence the UK has the days. Rule Britannia, we had an empire you know, etc.

Perhaps making the best of what we have would be a better way forward, rather than pi$$ing it away.

That must very frustrating for you Rich. And for many others I'm sure.

So, basically, in the spirit of European unity and as one of its central tenets of social and commercial integratration, German accountancy exercises a self-serving closed shop protectionist racket in order to ratchet up their own profits via bureacratic red tape that needlessly cost 'foreign' traders time and money. Have I got that right?

And, call me a cynic if you want, but the assumption that the UK can change this mindset is somewhat presumptuous and maybe a little naive. Maybe we can, but there is always going to be a 'trade-off', probably in more ways than one. Assuming of course, we end up remaining in the EU.
I believe so, yes. It needs opening up so we can get on with more choice. Not sure what other EU countries do this natives only thing, if any.

In or out the EU, I am here, having to deal with it. Why after all these years is there not one EU-wide VAT declaration form. Same numbers, same questions, same fields etc.

You think Britain leaving will dismantle the EU?

Typical brexiter overestimating the influence the UK has the days. Rule Britannia, we had an empire you know, etc.

Perhaps making the best of what we have would be a better way forward, rather than pi$$ing it away.

I am sure you will bag a handful of likes for that comment. :rolleyes: In fact, let me join in....hang on.

Germany is in recession now. The very recent figures are not out yet. But my sales figures follow the national consumer spending graph almost exactly and I have my figures up to yesterday. I am down 40% from March. 15% on last month.

One of the 3 main reasons for the impending recession by all papers and analysts is brexit. That and their dependence on export and the trade wars going on.

So, straight away it has influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back