advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, in the case of food shortages or disruption (that the Government itself will cause) DEFRA say it is food producers that have to take the blame/solve the problems.

Unbelievable. The whole thing will be buck passing. Still, on a positive note, that is one of Johnson’s skills.

Stephen
Oh good. As pfm's resident food manufacturer, I will find the solutions to any food shortages brought about by Brexit. Say there's fresh food held up at the ports, I'm sure that I can come up with some UK produced flour. UK flour is too soft to make decent bread, but it's OK for biscuits, pastry, chapatis, things like that. I'll publish a chapati recipe here. Should you be lucky enough to have electrical power, you can cook them.
Failing that, for Leeds based pfmers, I've got a fair bit of food in. There's at least half a packet of Weetabix just now, how much of that will still be left in October I'm not sure, but I'm sure we can work it out. There's also a tub of bulgar wheat that wants eating, some lentils and a few other bits and bobs. #justgetonwithit. #wegotthrough2worldwars,wecangetthroughthis.

Sky News we’re implying the mood music was changing and a deal moving closer. They interviewed Juncker and he effectively contradicted their claims.

Sky News we’re implying the mood music was changing and a deal moving closer. They interviewed Juncker and he effectively contradicted their claims.
I've noticed this to be the case with any news I've caught over the last few days. It seems to be driven wholly by the internal logic of the news itself: they can't deal with stasis and repetition, so they have to pretend to believe that some progress is being made. I don't think it has any basis in reality. We're going to get May's Deal again and the HoC is going to throw it out again but before that and indeed in between there's going to be a lot of "Sources tell me Labour rebels have the numbers to get this through!!!"

Afterwards no-one will be saying, "Why do we listen to these incompetent grifters?"

I
We're going to get May's Deal again and the HoC is going to throw it out again
You don't think the very real threat of no deal has concentrated minds? You don't think the labour leadership are perhaps prepared to take a hard brexit rather than the soft brexit they want and avoid a risk of remain and/or no deal?

You don't think the very real threat of no deal has concentrated minds? You don't think the labour leadership are perhaps prepared to take a hard brexit rather than the soft brexit they want and avoid a risk of remain and/or no deal?
Labour leadership, no. Stephen Kinnock etc. maybe.

Worth bearing in mind that if Kinnock has his way it's not exactly May's deal coming back; it's May's deal as enhanced by cross-party talks (= more on environmental protections and workers rights).

Oh good. As pfm's resident food manufacturer, I will find the solutions to any food shortages brought about by Brexit. Say there's fresh food held up at the ports, I'm sure that I can come up with some UK produced flour. UK flour is too soft to make decent bread, but it's OK for biscuits, pastry, chapatis, things like that. I'll publish a chapati recipe here. Should you be lucky enough to have electrical power, you can cook them.
Failing that, for Leeds based pfmers, I've got a fair bit of food in. There's at least half a packet of Weetabix just now, how much of that will still be left in October I'm not sure, but I'm sure we can work it out. There's also a tub of bulgar wheat that wants eating, some lentils and a few other bits and bobs. #justgetonwithit. #wegotthrough2worldwars,wecangetthroughthis.

Corbyn’s dedication to his allotment is beginning to make sense.

A reheated May deal with magic border doo das will not even get past the ERG and assorted knuckle draggers on the Tory benches. They’ll never be satisfied, like Farage, unless they get a complete split from Europe. There’s too much money and hardening English nationalist sentiment riding on it now. A fudged semi-hard Brexit will just be a further period of political instability.

Labour leadership, no. Stephen Kinnock etc. maybe.
And with similar movement from those in other parties it still won't pass?

Until recently I had thought Johnson's intention was to get May's hard brexit passed. Even now it is more a case of bemusement concerning the no deal shenanigans rather than a belief this is what is actually being sought.

And with similar movement from those in other parties it still won't pass?

Until recently I had thought Johnson's intention was to get May's hard brexit passed. Even now it is more a case of bemusement concerning the no deal shenanigans rather than a belief this is what is actually being sought.
It might. It depends how gullible those MPs are. Whatever happens, a rehash of May's deal will not be supported by the Labour leadership (cos it's too "hard-left" to reach a sensible compromise, obvs).

Last edited:
Kinnock was quoting his new ‘let’s get brexit done’ BFF Caroline Flint last night and telling anyone who’d listen that Labour had to get behind May’s crappy deal. You wonder what the logic is beyond saving their seats in Parliament ( ie. their own skins).

A reheated May deal with magic border doo das will not even get past the ERG and assorted knuckle draggers on the Tory benches. They’ll never be satisfied, like Farage, unless they get a complete split from Europe. There’s too much money and hardening English nationalist sentiment riding on it now. A fudged semi-hard Brexit will just be a further period of political instability.

Exactly. The broadcasters meanwhile are trying to find good things to day about Johnson and the furthest right Cabinet of my lifetime, no matter how hard and what the subject is.

Sky are about to look at the will of the people ... that is the thing that counts, because there has been a breakdown in political consensus, they argue.

They don't like traffic being stopped in the streets and the suits want you to accept their version of how life should be. So be careful when you are demonstrating against the climate crisis today.

Jack

It’s vassalage. Corporal Francois, potato merchant Bridgen and Steve Arson- Baker will never lie down under the German boot.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Besides, their motors are too pricey
Likely depends on which German
48763585338_de61a27a72_b.jpg

I am now thinking a version of May's deal will pass.

Now? It's the only Tory deal on offer. I think Johnson is pretty scared of a no-deal now he's paid attention.

But it's a hard sell. Irish sea border? You lose DUP and ERG. Any deal loses ERG (and Johnson's cabinet). Are there enough Labour chancers to make it up?

Stephen

As a food manufacturer and therefore I guess someone with skin in the EU game, you should be wary in case you open yourself to accusations of contributing to project fear part 2plus on the basis of self-interest. Not that that's unusual, as most 'hard' (no apologies) remainers have skin in the game.

The UK is a net exporter of wheat, and imports between 5% and 20% of its home wheat requirements depending upon year/yield/market, an average of 11% over the past decade. Between 31% and 49% (again, dependent upon year) of UK grown wheat meets grade 1 standards, suitable for breadmaking. Most of the balance of hard bread wheat comes from Canada, with requirements for flours suitable for French bread and croissants etc being supplemented from Germany and France.

In summary, leaving the EU will not affect the supply of bread in the UK. Wheat is anyway a freely traded commodity which is not heavily tariffed, and only then in quite specific circumstances.

As a food manufacturer and therefore I guess someone with skin in the EU game, you should be wary in case you open yourself to accusations of contributing to project fear part 2plus on the basis of self-interest. Not that that's unusual, as most 'hard' (no apologies) remainers have skin in the game.
Accuse if you wish, I'm a consultant. If anything I would benefit from the chaos of Brexit, the scramble to accommodate new regulations and ensure compliance would mean that people like me would be in heavy demand.

The UK is a net exporter of wheat, and imports between 5% and 20% of its home wheat requirements depending upon year/yield/market, an average of 11% over the past decade. Between 31% and 49% (again, dependent upon year) of UK grown wheat meets grade 1 standards, suitable for breadmaking. Most of the balance of hard bread wheat comes from Canada, with requirements for flours suitable for French bread and croissants etc being supplemented from Germany and France.

In summary, leaving the EU will not affect the supply of bread in the UK. Wheat is anyway a freely traded commodity which is not heavily tariffed, and only then in quite specific circumstances.
The wheat bit's a joke, soft lad. Same as living on lentils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back