advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’ll be like that scene in Ken Loach’s Raining Stones with car loads of people with hammers, chasing sheep around in fields. A hellish pick your own scenario.

Global Facebook use may not reflect UK use.
My three kids, 28, 31, 33 and their partners and many of their friends stopped using it years ago. In the UK it seems to be the preserve of the middle aged and older.

Seems to be a general trend...
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...ia-snapchat-instagram-emarketer-a8206486.html
Worth pointing out that Facebook have a lot of data so will just serve the ads to the target demographic, the ignotance of how this data is used is probably more prevalent among the target group also.

The 'kidz' stopped using Facebook as their parents increased their usage. Younger demographic tends to use Instagram, Snapchat, WhatsApp. Facebook still mine this though as you are prompted to sign on the Instagram through your Facebook account.
Labour can & will use similar methods

We need all kinds of laws to make Dutch farmers quit, all you need is no deal Brexit and you have that automatically very soon.

Another piece in the jigsaw of the future?

Untitled.png

Heard Raaab on the Marr show this morning (I believe) failing to rule out proroguing again should the Supreme Court (SC) find in favour of govt because such a ruling means it is legal to do this.

I didn't catch all of the exchange so I'm not sure what Marr was asking, but if this means a SC ruling for govt results in this terrible situation continuing through to November....well I don't know what to say, to be honest.

Checking the BBC news site and there is nothing about it so it could be I'm getting the wrong end of the stick. The BBC is concentrating on whatever they can find to snipe at Corbyn/Labour as usual, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're ignoring the significance if this is what Raaaab said. I would suggest if this is what Raaab did not rule out, it is significantly bigger news than the Labour conference.

If anyone saw the Marr show this morning and has the context of the exchange please post a clarification. I don't want to inadvertently mislead anyone.

Heard Raaab on the Marr show this morning (I believe) failing to rule out proroguing again should the Supreme Court (SC) find in favour of govt because such a ruling means it is legal to do this.

I didn't catch all of the exchange so I'm not sure what Marr was asking, but if this means a SC ruling for govt results in this terrible situation continuing through to November....well I don't know what to say, to be honest.

Checking the BBC news site and there is nothing about it so it could be I'm getting the wrong end of the stick. The BBC is concentrating on whatever they can find to snipe at Corbyn/Labour as usual, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're ignoring the significance if this is what Raaaab said. I would suggest if this is what Raaab did not rule out, it is significantly bigger news than the Labour conference.

If anyone saw the Marr show this morning and has the context of the exchange please post a clarification. I don't want to inadvertently mislead anyone.

I heard it but wasn't really paying attention to be honest but I'd be amazed if the SC rules for the government I think that they'll follow the Scottish ruling.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0008s6t/the-andrew-marr-show-22092019

Another piece in the jigsaw of the future?

Untitled.png
Incitement. The law is an ass, the judiciary Enemies of the People and Boris Tribune of The Plebs. Lord Rotheremere is entirely right to warn against the elites from his home in Paris. He will be donating to the cause from his account in Bermuda.

That's nothing, Brian. They've even said that they might prorogue again if they lost.

(In more detail: if the Supremes tell them they shouldn't have done it this way, but they (the government) think there's another way, they might have another crack.)

It’s on the front page of the politics section of BBC news...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49786644

Technically it’s there, but my screen shows several stories at the top, 2 of which are about splits in Labour, then the Raab story is beneath them and signalled only by a headline that the govt will abide by the ruling of the SC.

It’s not exactly directing much attention to the repeated prorogation comments, which don’t appear on the front page at all.

That's nothing, Brian. They've even said that they might prorogue again if they lost.

(In more detail: if the Supremes tell them they shouldn't have done it this way, but they (the government) think there's another way, they might have another crack.)
What I’m thinking is it could be all over tomorrow should the Supreme Court rule in favour of the govt and an immediate prorogation happens until early November. And all legal.

What I’m thinking is it could be all over tomorrow should the Supreme Court rule in favour of the govt and an immediate prorogation happens until early November. And all legal.

Oh, I should expect they’d have the decency to wait until nearing the end of the existing prorogation first. No sense in giving your opponents too much warning. This is a government that likes to ‘keep them guessing’.

If the Supreme Court do deliver a verdict that prorogation was unlawful, then IMO Parliament should be re-opened immediately followed by a VONC in this rotten government. The sooner they go the better.

Then Labour can work out a better deal with the EU and put it to the public in a referendum against Remain.

Wales’ Brexit vote ‘caused by English retirees’ – Oxford University
22nd September 2019
Wales would not have voted by a majority for Brexit if not for retired English people moving across the border, according to research by Oxford University.
https://nation.cymru/news/wales-brexit-vote-caused-by-english-retirees-oxford-university/

I imagine that stat is going to annoy some hugely, especially if one us say a farmer heading for bankruptcy once the EU subsidies etc vanish.

If the Supreme Court do deliver a verdict that prorogation was unlawful, then IMO Parliament should be re-opened immediately followed by a VONC in this rotten government. The sooner they go the better.

Then Labour can work out a better deal with the EU and put it to the public in a referendum against Remain.

A few missing steps there. After a successful VoNC, the Queen needs to invite someone else, presumably Corbyn, to lead a new government (forcing Johnson to stand aside if he does not do so of his own accord), there needs to be a successful vote of confidence in the new government (within two weeks of the VoNC), and that new government needs to survive long enough to talk to the EU and hold a referendum. This requires the support of almost all of the non-Tory, non-DUP part of the Commons together, including many ex-Tories. It's a really tall order, requiring a masterclass in consensus building. Get it wrong at any point after the VoNC and you are looking at a general election, possibly a post-Brexit one.

This could have been done months ago (and more safely than from the current position), but wasn't, presumably because the support wasn't there. Could the ruling change the situation sufficiently?

I have my doubts.

Kind regards

- Garry

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back