advertisement

Valve Phono Stage

@kjb - wow, Gyro-Manley-Leben-Devores, with AN alongside - what a lovely set up. Sorry if I missed above, what cartridge are you using?

Edit: oops, see that is all clear above :)

Reactions: kjb
Thank you - they are Devore Fidelity Super 8s

Hi KJB,

Really nice system and space!

I have the OG Gibbon 8s and was astonished to discover how much better they sounded with the with the (offset) tweeters on the "inside", which is contrary to the L-R guidance Devore gives on the back of the speakers. Well worth trying, if you haven't already!

All best,
Joe

Hi KJB,

Really nice system and space!

I have the OG Gibbon 8s and was astonished to discover how much better they sounded with the with the (offset) tweeters on the "inside", which is contrary to the L-R guidance Devore gives on the back of the speakers. Well worth trying, if you haven't already!

All best,
Joe

Interesting. I'll have to give that try. I've always just had them set up in line with the recommendations.

Why dat? ( Learning question.) :)

i didnt like how it sounds. rather flat and boring, making a vinyl sounding digital. you can call it neutral but the same can be said about EAR 834p which still brings some nice tonal colours to the music.

plus its expensive for what you get. you are basically paying a brand.

You've lost me there @Dan K what has Apple got to do with it and who's Robert?
Robert (me) was the importer for some years and the one who seems to mod all the dacs 🙂

The prior owner in the USA had family in China building transformers decades ago and that is how the brand started - American fronted.

However, it has changed name to Black Ice Audio for numerous reasons too long to write up. Basically a trade name dispute with family and factory owners that had global press interest similar to the Nike and Mercedes story due to import/export companies in other countries holding the same name.

Also, Jim Fosgate (who invented Dolby Pro-Logic) had a lot to do with their newer models and dac revisions. Black Ice secured a partnership for his patented designs and worked with him on their new amps, F159 phonostage and the new Aries dac (all American designs).

The prior owner Michael Allen is now 100% in the back room while the new ‘manager/owner’ is Jerred Dunkerson who runs the show. He is American and been there for many years and he himself is responsible for design changes.

There is still the alliance with China in production while some is in the USA with assembly and test. All sales are out of the US with nothing direct from the East.

For reference, the JD9 is a hybrid design with the final tube stage adding 10dB of gain.

The EAR for MC (SUTs) gets iffy reviews - the MM stage is broadly the same as a Croft and gets good/rave reviews.
The Slee - I found that rather safe/plodding/unexciting.
I have the EAR Phonobox and the MM stage with the EAR MC 4 is fabulous. The internal SUT is okay but the real magic is the MM stage.

advertisement

Back