advertisement

Used record condition. Should smoke odour be a stated category?

As an aside, Tony, I play a new record once and then clean it. Once cleaned it invariably sounds better. What am I removing?

I’d do it the other way round. You are removing the mould-release agent and more significantly any tiny dust particles from a paper or card inner. Disappointingly many brand new records look filthy fresh out of the paper or card sleeve. I clean them first so I don’t run any risk of driving any of that crap into the groove wall by playing. If a (cleaned new) record sounds crackly I’ll give it another longer session on the cleaner which usually sorts it.

Sensible. Should have said anything that looks mould releasy or dusty I clean first. Anything that looks pristine I play first and it still sounds better after I’ve cleaned it.

Thinking about it I'm amazed I've never had this problem. And I collect jazz records...

uy2W7zp.png
I find the smell of jazz cigarettes vastly less offensive than the common durry.

The smokers can't smell it! It's the same with near mint - people's close-up vision is often so bad that they can't see the blooming scratches anymore...

advertisement

Back