advertisement

Used record condition. Should smoke odour be a stated category?

Rk19

pfm Member
I have received a few records from Discogs that are heavily impregnated with the smell of stale cigarette smoke. 2 of these are so strong that I have had to leave them in the garage as the smell pervades the inside rooms. Am I just being unduly sensitive or is this a problem for others? If the latter, should this be noted together with the condition of the vinyl and sleeve?

I’d find that a real problem too. Probably a deal-breaker for me. Therefore I’d expect it to be mentioned if it was significant. It is, to my mind, worse than a tear to the sleeve or other minor fault that would drop the grading.

Well you imagine half right.
If it's a silk or gloss finish then Servisol foam cleanser 30 is all you need. If a matte cover smells, then send it back.

If it's a rarity and perhaps unlikely to find another copy I guess you could wet clean the record, pop it in a new inner sleeve and outer cover, then seal the original sleeve and inner in a sealable cover. That way you could listen to it and keep it's 'value' whilst not having the odour of stale tobacco smoke.

Are you an ex-smoker by any chance @Rk19
Alot of ex-smokers are particularly sensitive to the smell of smoke.

Maybe you should ask in future if the second hand records are from a smoke free home.

Thinking about it I'm amazed I've never had this problem. And I collect jazz records...

uy2W7zp.png

Are you an ex-smoker by any chance @Rk19
Alot of ex-smokers are particularly sensitive to the smell of smoke...........
As a corollary to this it’s the case that smokers are generally blissfully unaware of just how much tobacco odour hangs about their car interiors, clothing, living spaces, books, records etc etc!

I had some scones wrapped in polythene in kitchen this weekend . then i put wood preserver on floor [ only a bit] i was astounded that the polythene stank of this wood preserver and had to throw the polythene away . incredible how smells stick . Many houses do have the smell of smoke and hard to eradicate , i imagine many owners will have no idea their stuff stinks

As a record dealer I have to admit I never really smell nicotine on records or sleeves. I guess I just don’t have a good sense of smell, even more so post-covid. I am an ex-smoker (I gave up 20+ years ago). What I do notice is any yellowing to sleeves or labels, and obviously that drops the grading. I wet vacuum everything I keep for myself (even new vinyl!) and I’m certain that removes it.

For hi-fi equipment Servisol Foam Cleanser 30 really gets shut of nicotine glaze. It works a treat on gloss laminate LP covers too.

PS Tobacco really is a shit drug. Just destroys your health and bank balance for no discernible benefit. Crazy addictive. It is the only drug that has ever hooked me in. Worse than any class A IMHO.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
As an aside, Tony, I play a new record once and then clean it. Once cleaned it invariably sounds better. What am I removing?

advertisement

Back