advertisement

UptoneAudio EtherREGEN

I will look at this later as well, but I'm not a great believer in this site preferring instead to listen with my ears. For me there is a lot of members on this site whom seem to won't even listen to equipment if it has not been ok'd by amirm

I too was also a sceptic, but a £50 secondhand Cisco 2960 from eBay, taught me to trust my ears.

You have this backwards. Before buying the Cisco you already had made the decision to "trust your ears". And that is the reason why you then heard it as sounding different.

I am sorry about your failure to comprehend what I wrote, as the syntax is unambiguous.

As an aside, if I had not obtained an audible benefit, the Cisco would have been re-sold via Ebay.

You have this backwards. Before buying the Cisco you already had made the decision to "trust your ears". And that is the reason why you then heard it as sounding different.

The Cisco is an amazing switch. Built in such vast numbers that it gained from economies of scale which no audiophile switch can ever do. And even then the cost was high when new, due to its excellent components and build. Second-hand at around £40 the 2960 represents one of the great bargains in audio.

What's more you can add an optical converter at the other end, just before your streamer, and thereby get a fibre network for just a small amount more.

In a decent system you can’t help but hear an improvement to the sound of network-sourced music with a Cisco, whether using Ethernet or fibre. Unless of course you’re determined not to hear a difference, then confirmation bias will ensure that you won’t.

The Cisco is an amazing switch. Built in such vast numbers that it gained from economies of scale which no audiophile switch can ever do. And even then the cost was high when new, due to its excellent components and build. Second-hand at around £40 the 2960 represents one of the great bargains in audio.

What's more you can add an optical converter at the other end, just before your streamer, and thereby get a fibre network for just a small amount more.

In a decent system you can’t help but hear an improvement to the sound of network-sourced music with a Cisco, whether using Ethernet or fibre. Unless of course you’re determined not to hear a difference, then confirmation bias will ensure that you won’t.
I hope you realize how utterly unlikely it is that anything in the quote above is true.

I hope you realize how utterly unlikely it is that anything in the quote above is true.
You are banging your head against a brick wall of ignorance. Anywho its their money and if it makes them any happier let them play. After all some peeps will pay £10K+ for a watch that doesn't tell the time any better than a £100 one. However it looks nice eh?

Cheers,

DV

You are banging your head against a brick wall of ignorance. Anywho its their money and if it makes them any happier let them play. After all some peeps will pay £10K+ for a watch that doesn't tell the time any better than a £100 one. However it looks nice eh?

Cheers,

DV
yet, you too insist to bang your head! must be some weird life of endless fun!

All this talk of routers I splashed out an earth moving £35 on a Cisco 8 Port 10/100 switch to see if my ears can tell the difference. I reckon if it makes no difference I'll be able to sell it on one of these forums with no loss.

All this talk of routers I splashed out an earth moving £35 on a Cisco 8 Port 10/100 switch to see if my ears can tell the difference. I reckon if it makes no difference I'll be able to sell it on one of these forums with no loss.

Good for you for having the sense to try, please let us know how you got on. I hope somebody factory reset yours with the special cable. I had to get mine done for it to pass any audio or video when I first got it.

The 2940/60 8port series should have a mode switch on the front panel, press it for >8seconds and the switch is reset. I've never seen them described as amazing before ;) they are built to a price and basic functionality, I doubt Cisco has home audio users in mind when they designed it.

Good for you for having the sense to try, please let us know how you got on. I hope somebody factory reset yours with the special cable. I had to get mine done for it to pass any audio or video when I first got it.
AFAIK you only need a console cable/Cisco geek if you want to use the fancy features and need to clear the config, reset the password, as NRG says hold down the Mode button, power it up, wait 8 to 10 seconds and let go, that “should” turn it into a simple unmanaged single VLAN device that’ll work fine for home use.

One caveat, the switch during express setup has a DHCP server so you need to set a management IP for it (disables it) otherwise it could cause issues on the network.

One caveat, the switch during express setup has a DHCP server so you need to set a management IP for it (disables it) otherwise it will cause issues on the network.
Been a while- this right?

Connect PC to switch with network cable, PC should get IP number from switch, in a browser type 10.0.0.1 use logon cisco/cisco. Run thru wizard and turn off DHCP so it doesn’t conflict with your Internet Router don’t need to mess with any other stuff.

Yup, set IP to disable, I wasn’t clear; don’t run express setup connected to the network :)

I had an automation engineer friend reset mine with a console cable I managed to borrow from work.

Built to a price point , yes sure what isn't , these did used to sell for several hundred quid back in the day. I paid £40 for mine from eBay.

I had an automation engineer friend reset mine with a console cable I managed to borrow from work.

Built to a price point , yes sure what isn't , these did used to sell for several hundred quid back in the day. I paid £40 for mine from eBay.

There do seem to be a number of variants, with some of the later (white case) units using an external power supply. I would suggest trying to get one of these (a bit more pricy and rarer) as thiss offers the possibility of adding a better power supply if desired

There do seem to be a number of variants, with some of the later (white case) units using an external power supply. I would suggest trying to get one of these (a bit more pricy and rarer) as thiss offers the possibility of adding a better power supply if desired

The switched mode power supplies are well designed , and units have good earthing. If you wanted to convert though to DC it would be possible to modify. I use mine with a missing link power chord which has a ferrite and this definitely helps to lower the noise floor. I also run this on a separate power bar to my hifi components.

advertisement

Back